SU Hoops 2013-2014 edition...

bills44

That call against Parker was a puzzler.

Those types of calls are so rare in the ACC, at least in years past. Haynesborough, Reddick, the big names in the ACC don't get those types of calls.

Great acting job by RAK. Part of the game. Questionable calls going both ways in this one. Good game. See ya Dukies in Cameron!

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A true fan would have had several already. :D

I don't buy much team wear for any team, really. I have about 2 or 3 Bills shirts, maybe 2? or just 1??? The Ohio State shirt, a Toledo shirt, and probably a Duke shirt somewhere. Hell, I know I have a UNC shirt because it was free.

Anyway, yeah, I don't really wear much of the team stuff. Usually just Kmart polo's and old stained tshirts.

I don't buy much team wear for any team, really. I have about 2 or 3 Bills shirts, maybe 2? or just 1??? The Ohio State shirt, a Toledo shirt, and probably a Duke shirt somewhere. Hell, I know I have a UNC shirt because it was free.

Anyway, yeah, I don't really wear much of the team stuff. Usually just Kmart polo's and old stained tshirts.

All I have is a Sabres hoodie with the banana slug logo on it that I wear around the yard when I do yard work. It looks like ****.....kind of like the team.

All I have is a Sabres hoodie with the banana slug logo on it that I wear around the yard when I do yard work. It looks like ****.....kind of like the team.

You wear it over your spandex singlet on chilly days while pedaling around sf?

Have we gotten any reports from JR IN PITTSBURGH??? Ouch!

Haha. Here I am. I watched it in my iPad on replay at about 10 pm. Just finished.

I don't know what to say. Game for the ages?

The thing that will irritate me about this one though is the Duke fans blaming the officials. The fact is that when you play the super tight man defense Duke plays against atheletes like we have, you are gonna foul a lot. And when you take 40 3s, you're not going to get to the line much. I actually thought the refs called a good game, with maybe the exception of Parker's 5th.

The great thing about the game was that every one of our guys showed up-- heck, even gbinije and Roberson played well. Just a total team effort.

Rooting for zona loss now, so we can jump to no. 1, where we belong!

Edit: zona just lost. We will take no. 1 in the polls on Monday!!

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

Great game, can't sleep. Some thoughts before I watch it for the 2nd of what will probably be ten times:

- We are good. All our best players stepped up, which was great. Fair/Grant...wow.

- Some Negative Nancy stuff: I can't necessarily argue w/ anyone saying they like Duke a bit more going forward, would've won this on a neutral floor, etc. Lets face it, we got some homecourt calls, which of course happens in ncaab all the time. And while it seemed like Duke shot 70% from 3, they actually shot their season average of 41%. I thought a big reason L'ville gave us a lot more problems last year than they did the year before was because Dieng last year could make that FT line jumper where as the year before he could not. So I have no idea how Duke was getting such good looks considering Jefferson & Plumlee were not threats to do anything from the high post and were (rightfully) not being guarded. I expect/hope Boeheim to fix this and hopefully guard the permiter better next time.

- Glass Half Full: In 2005, UNC was on the verge of getting swept by Duke, down by 8 with 3min's left at home on Senior Day. They went on to win it all. Or perhaps a better analogy for Cuse fans might be '03 vs Pittsburgh which we barely salvaged a split. Duke might just be a bad matchup for us, so who cares if they win the rematch. Plus we were better than them in 2010 and look what happened. Just gotta take care of business in the "easy" games & get a win out of the Pitt/UVA/FSU/Duke gauntlet & we should be set up for a friendly NYS path to the F4.

Haha. Here I am. I watched it in my iPad on replay at about 10 pm. Just finished.

I don't know what to say. Game for the ages?

The thing that will irritate me about this one though is the Duke fans blaming the officials. The fact is that when you play the super tight man defense Duke plays against atheletes like we have, you are gonna foul a lot. And when you take 40 3s, you're not going to get to the line much. I actually thought the refs called a good game, with maybe the exception of Parker's 5th.

The great thing about the game was that every one of our guys showed up-- heck, even gbinije and Roberson played well. Just a total team effort.

Rooting for zona loss now, so we can jump to no. 1, where we belong!

Edit: zona just lost. We will take no. 1 in the polls on Monday!!

Ya obviously a high pressure team that shoots a zillion 3's is going to foul more than a zone team that shoots four 3's...

I do think this is the most likeable Duke team I've ever seen as they don't have their usual cast of annoying floppers & it is awfully funny in a way to see them get outraged by a dose of their own medicine they've been dishing out for years...

I'm not sure the 2nd foul drawn by Christmas really even helped us all that much...we're putting a 69% FT shooter on the line & giving them the ball back with a chance to win it. Given that we were basically scoring at will I think I'd rather just play out the possession and see what happens (good chance of getting 2pts instead of 1 or better yet a miss + offensive rebound with the shot clock turned off).

Both the parker & Jefferson calls were definitely fouls...probably wouldn't have been called without raks embellishments but certainly they were fouls.

Jefferson was clear as day. I have no idea what he was thinking trying to pull that off. Parker's was a foul IMO bc of the advantage he gained when doing the clear out move. If that happens further away from the basket there is no call probably. Since the result of that move by him would have been a dunk you have to call that as a ref.

I saw the replay again of the dunk and still don't think that was a foul. Tough game to officiate but an incredibly well played game by both teams. Hopefully Monday isn't a let down game! They're going to be #1 for it!

which dunk...the one that rak blocked at the end? i watched the replay as well...Rak got ball first and momentum carried his arm into the other arm...would have been a tough call to make..personally? that was a stupid play to be making, a simple lay in would have been effective, but he tried to be like grant and go for the money shot.

Jefferson was clear as day. I have no idea what he was thinking trying to pull that off. Parker's was a foul IMO bc of the advantage he gained when doing the clear out move. If that happens further away from the basket there is no call probably. Since the result of that move by him would have been a dunk you have to call that as a ref.

I saw the replay again of the dunk and still don't think that was a foul. Tough game to officiate but an incredibly well played game by both teams. Hopefully Monday isn't a let down game! They're going to be #1 for it!

which dunk...the one that rak blocked at the end? i watched the replay as well...Rak got ball first and momentum carried his arm into the other arm...would have been a tough call to make..personally? that was a stupid play to be making, a simple lay in would have been effective, but he tried to be like grant and go for the money shot.

Yes that's the one most people are up in arms about. I know I have homer glasses but it was indeed a block as you mentioned.

check out this slo mo vine

https://vine.co/v/MzD2UqOpi55

Rak's was absolutely a block. I would have been beside myself if they had called a foul there. You never get a foul when you get all ball first like that.

Refs did a nice job, including the no call on the F1 on fair. Would have been a shame to call a F1 and not give duke a chance at the end of OT.

Man. After watching the Super Bowl completely disappoint, it really makes me appreciate what we just got last night. What a classic! You couldn't write a better start to a rivalry. But it's time to move on. At this point in a season with past teams, I world normally expect a letdown after such a big emotional win, but not with this team. I don't see them getting overconfident and overlooking ND. Especially since they are ex Big East. Plus, this team's makeup is workmanlike. Egoless! Can't wait.

Go Cuse!

Man. After watching the Super Bowl completely disappoint, it really makes me appreciate what we just got last night. What a classic! You couldn't write a better start to a rivalry. But it's time to move on. At this point in a season with past teams, I world normally expect a letdown after such a big emotional win, but not with this team. I don't see them getting overconfident and overlooking ND. Especially since they are ex Big East. Plus, this team's makeup is workmanlike. Egoless! Can't wait.

Go Cuse!

Agree completely. We came home around 3rd qtr to put my daughter to sleep and I just re-watched the cuse game instead of the rest of the crappy Super Bowl.

By the way, on a second watch, I can't say enough about how Rak played. He was a real difference maker. He hit a key FT at the end of regulation, had an awesome assist late, and was a monster on defense.

On to ND-- cuse will have a lot to play for-- ie, to stay no. 1. They will show up.