SU Hoops 2013-2014 edition...

bills44

So, just looking and listening to local media some more. Still not too high on Syracuse. Sure, they'll say they're a good team and strong and shouldn't be overlooked but they always get to a "but" and then another "but" and another "but." Eventually they turn it in to how these young kids for UNC are doing well and getting better each week. How Duke is strong and will make a run in to the tournament but they won't make the sweet 16.

Wake is everyones second favorite team people say here. The comments about it by people I talked to/coworkers/etc and just shared on the radio/etc seemed to be that Cuse is very good but this year the ACC is weaker then normal. The teams that'd normally challenge them are not able to do so - because, ya know, a few years ago those teams in the ACC would have killed Cuse. They literally like up the Championship UNC teams and Duke teams and say that Cuse didn't even finish well those seasons. Well, it basically finishes up as just that Cuse is ranked so high because they are on top of the ACC and not because they are actually deserving of it. The cream of the crop would beat Syracuse...

In NC college basketball is treated as arrogantly as a Bostonian treats the Sawks or Patsies.

Haha. I see what you did here. Well done.

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

somebody better be dead....but i fear you are not telling us the reason because you will be shamed mercilessly....

(and if someone is dead, i am sorry)

Well, looks like I will be missing the Duke/Syracuse game-- gonna be out of town on Saturday. I have no idea how I will be able to pull off avoiding all media, and then being able to sneak the game in before the Super Bowl on Sunday when I get back. Horrible timing!

Edited by The Poojer

Well, looks like I will be missing the Duke/Syracuse game-- gonna be out of town on Saturday. I have no idea how I will be able to pull off avoiding all media, and then being able to sneak the game in before the Super Bowl on Sunday when I get back. Horrible timing!

I know down here there are a ton of radio stations that play the games, I am sure the same is true for the Orange. Why not get a streaming radio station?

somebody better be dead....but i fear you are not telling us the reason because you will be shamed mercilessly....

(and if someone is dead, i am sorry)

He is having his annual meetup for NARMLA.

Major bonus points if you figure that acronym out.

I know NAMBLA...used to be a member in good standing....not familiar with NARMLA

I know down here there are a ton of radio stations that play the games, I am sure the same is true for the Orange. Why not get a streaming radio station?

He is having his annual meetup for NARMLA.

Major bonus points if you figure that acronym out.

Gotta chime in here as a Carolina fan in regards to the Cuse/Pitt sudden takeover of the ACC pending a Cuse win vs Duke.

I'm chiming in and I'll take my licks now...but UNC will be back to run this thing soon if history repeats. Enjoy this year Orangemen. It's all light blue in the future.

Welcome to the ACC, as someone said earlier Wake, Georgia Tech, NC St ain't as good as they used to be.

Ill take Cuse/Pitt etc to pick up the slack. (who else just ND? Or we have Nova and few others?)

Edited by Ryan L Billz

8-year old nephew's birthday party!!!!

@jboyst-- this is what would make streaming too hard also-- just not sure I will be able to get to a spot where I can do it.

My only other thought was to take my ipad and watch the replay on late Saturday night on "watch espn"-- but I am worried I would see the score or something.

Gotta chime in here as a Carolina fan in regards to the Cuse/Pitt sudden takeover of the ACC pending a Cuse win vs Duke.

I'm chiming in and I'll take my licks now...but UNC will be back to run this thing soon if history repeats. Enjoy this year Orangemen. It's all light blue in the future.

Welcome to the ACC, as someone said earlier Wake, Georgia Tech, NC St ain't as good as they used to be.

Ill take Cuse/Pitt etc to pick up the slack. (who else just ND? Or we have Nova and few others?)

Boeheim and his recruiting team continues to draw top 10 recruiting classes year after year. It seems that JB has cornered the market in New England, Baltimore, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and has strong connections in Canada. While I will agree that UNC is having a down year, and will rebound from this, I disagree that they will once again "rule the conference" with Duke. It is a new are in the ACC...like it or not. Syracuse and Pitt will continue to be a force, and once Louisville and UCONN join...watch out. I don't see anything to indicate that Syracuse is due for a downslide. They do not seem to re-build anymore...they just re-load.

i was reading something this week, boeheim doesn't necessarily recruit the mcdonalds all stars like everyone else does, he recruits for his 2-3 zone. I think that is why Syracuse rarely 'rebuilds', simply as you put it, they reload. it seems players are willing to sit their freshman year behind another player and prepare to take that spot over. I am sure other schools are able to do it, but you really only hear about the schools that focus on the one and dones...i think SU has only 2, Melo & Donte Green? Wouldn't surprise me if Ennis makes #3

Boeheim and his recruiting team continues to draw top 10 recruiting classes year after year. It seems that JB has cornered the market in New England, Baltimore, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and has strong connections in Canada. While I will agree that UNC is having a down year, and will rebound from this, I disagree that they will once again "rule the conference" with Duke. It is a new are in the ACC...like it or not. Syracuse and Pitt will continue to be a force, and once Louisville and UCONN join...watch out. I don't see anything to indicate that Syracuse is due for a downslide. They do not seem to re-build anymore...they just re-load.

i was reading something this week, boeheim doesn't necessarily recruit the mcdonalds all stars like everyone else does, he recruits for his 2-3 zone. I think that is why Syracuse rarely 'rebuilds', simply as you put it, they reload. it seems players are willing to sit their freshman year behind another player and prepare to take that spot over. I am sure other schools are able to do it, but you really only hear about the schools that focus on the one and dones...i think SU has only 2, Melo & Donte Green? Wouldn't surprise me if Ennis makes #3

Syracuse does a good job at getting commitments from players early, before they really get widely recognized by scouts (i.e., Jerami Grant, Dion Waiters, Tyler Ennis). Also, you are correct in that JB and his staff do a nice job targeting 3-4 year "system" players who are a good fit for Boeheim's zone defense. I think what has changed in the past 3 or 4 years, however, is that Syracuse is starting to consistently land the more "high profile" recruits. Nothing like Calipari is reeling in, but it seems like we land at least 1 or 2 5 star recruits every year.

Just off the top of my head...Johnny Flynn, Eric Devendorf, Paul Harris, Fab Melo, DC2, Ennis, McCullough, and now Malachi Richardson (and shortly Tyus Battle I hope). Not that all of these guys have lived up to expectations, but it is proof that we are starting to land more and more "big fish." Recruiting definitely has changed over the past few years, and I attribute a lot of this to Red Autry who is supposedly doing an amazing job on the recruiting trail. I expect this trend to continue and improve now that Cuse has entered the ACC, and is getting more exposure in the southern states. It's only a matter of time before we pluck a big NC recruit from ol' Roy Boy's clutches.

i hadn't heard that take on Autry's recruiting prowess...that's very cool

Syracuse does a good job at getting commitments from players early, before they really get widely recognized by scouts (i.e., Jerami Grant, Dion Waiters, Tyler Ennis). Also, you are correct in that JB and his staff do a nice job targeting 3-4 year "system" players who are a good fit for Boeheim's zone defense. I think what has changed in the past 3 or 4 years, however, is that Syracuse is starting to consistently land the more "high profile" recruits. Nothing like Calipari is reeling in, but it seems like we land at least 1 or 2 5 star recruits every year.

Just off the top of my head...Johnny Flynn, Eric Devendorf, Paul Harris, Fab Melo, DC2, Ennis, McCullough, and now Malachi Richardson (and shortly Tyus Battle I hope). Not that all of these guys have lived up to expectations, but it is proof that we are starting to land more and more "big fish." Recruiting definitely has changed over the past few years, and I attribute a lot of this to Red Autry who is supposedly doing an amazing job on the recruiting trail. I expect this trend to continue and improve now that Cuse has entered the ACC, and is getting more exposure in the southern states. It's only a matter of time before we pluck a big NC recruit from ol' Roy Boy's clutches.

Haha...so my wife just called me at work and informed me that a girlfriend has invited her to the Syracuse-Duke game. They're sitting 4 or 5 rows up in section 212. I asked her a while back if she wanted to splurge for tickets and go together, and she told me "absolutely not." Now, I get to watch the game at home with my 3 month old daughter. Yay! I am soooooo pissed. :censored: :censored: :censored:

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

pics?

Haha...so my wife just called me at work and informed me that a girlfriend has invited her to the Syracuse-Duke game. They're sitting 4 or 5 rows up in section 212. I asked her a while back if she wanted to splurge for tickets and go together, and she told me "absolutely not." Now, I get to watch the game at home with my 3 month old daughter. Yay! I am soooooo pissed. :censored: :censored: :censored:

So classic. She will probably be storming the court, while you are changing a dipe.

My prediction for tomorrow is a narrow Cuse victory. If their hitting a high 3pt % it'll be tough, but if we kill the boards like we have been we'll be okay.

X Factor - The best freshman on the court tomorrow will be Ennis. Don't get me wrong, if it was the NBA Draft, I'd still take Parker on ability and size alone, but Ennis is essentially a senior in my mind. Clutch kills.

GO CUSE!