SU Hoops 2013-2014 edition...

bills44

Can anyone provide a legitimate reason why Cooney played all but 2 minutes of the second half??? Btw. Gbinije has a better 3 pt percentage than him. I understand spreading the floor, but he has struggled since league play started. When we win, it doesn't matter. But if this happens in the tourney, Boeheim is screwing us if he stubbornly refuses to adjust when his great hope (aka Gerry reincarnation) just isn't getting it done. ADJUST!!

P.s. His garbage points mean nothing to me. They were arbitrary points.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re wake forest game:

Thanks, refs, for making that games unwatchable. Probably the worst officiated game I have seen in 5 years.

Some other thoughts:

--Rak started so well-- you could tell it was his night-- until he picked up 3 quick fouls.

--The team just wasn't shooting well. Just an off night for some reason. But they really toughed it out, especially in the glass.

--I hadn't seen wake before. Maybe they were off too, but they looked pretty terrible.

--obviously, the biggest concern is ennis' ankle; hope it's minor

Edit: stats are in. 45 fouls between the teams. Is that a record?

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

Re cooney, he needs to get it together.

Gbinije is not the answer either. His air ball lay-up is enough evidence of that. We need cooney to just shoot better; can't miss open looks.

Lol. Agree the airball layup was bad. And my post probably came off like I hate Cooney but I really don't. He is valuable. But that is two awful games in a row where Boeheim didn't even see if he could get more out of Gbinije in the second half. I think Gbinije is overall just better and gives us more of a scoring threat.

Even if I'm wrong about Gbinije being better, why not try him when Cooney is just struggling.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Lol. Agree the airball layup was bad. And my post probably came off like I hate Cooney but I really don't. He is valuable. But that is two awful games in a row where Boeheim didn't even see if he could get more out of Gbinije in the second half. I think Gbinije is overall just better and gives us more of a scoring threat.

Even if I'm wrong about Gbinije being better, why not try him when Cooney I'd just struggling.

What's weird about gbinije is he plays with almost no confidence on the offensive end. He also seems to never get in a rhythm. I think he has the talent; the few times he has been aggressive this year, he's looked good. He needs to just take the ball to the rim, and take open shots in rhythm (his one made 3 tonight was ennis feeding him perfectly on a break; he didn't think-- just caught it and pulled up).

I share your frustration re cooney. I love the guy, but he disappoints.

What's weird about gbinije is he plays with almost no confidence on the offensive end. He also seems to never get in a rhythm. I think he has the talent; the few times he has been aggressive this year, he's looked good. He needs to just take the ball to the rim, and take open shots in rhythm (his one made 3 tonight was ennis feeding him perfectly on a break; he didn't think-- just caught it and pulled up).

I share your frustration re cooney. I love the guy, but he disappoints.

Good points about Gbinije

I think Boeheim is starting to realize that Gbinije NEEDS to get minutes because Cooney is just too darned inconsistent. I was screaming at the television last night for JB to pull Cooney. He was absolutely terrible shooting the ball. Ugly. With that said, I'd like to see Buss Patterson get a little burn here down the stretch. I know he is raw, but I'd really like to see how he responds to being immersed into a league game. I think he is a better shooter than Gbinije, and I don't think you lose much on the defensive end. Buss has like an 11 foot wingspan at the top of that zone.

IMO, Cooney has regressed since league play started, and JB needs to start to look at other options. At least to develop another guard for depth.

With regard to last night's game, the officiating was horrible, and the commentators were laughable (and one I believe was a Cuse alum). Just happy to have that game over and done with. Seemed like there was strong Syracuse representation there. Was good to hear the "let's go Orange!" chant over the commentators. That must be really annoying for the home fans. Love it.

Bring on Duke!!

I think Boeheim is starting to realize that Gbinije NEEDS to get minutes because Cooney is just too darned inconsistent. I was screaming at the television last night for JB to pull Cooney. He was absolutely terrible shooting the ball. Ugly. With that said, I'd like to see Buss Patterson get a little burn here down the stretch. I know he is raw, but I'd really like to see how he responds to being immersed into a league game. I think he is a better shooter than Gbinije, and I don't think you lose much on the defensive end. Buss has like an 11 foot wingspan at the top of that zone.

IMO, Cooney has regressed since league play started, and JB needs to start to look at other options. At least to develop another guard for depth.

With regard to last night's game, the officiating was horrible, and the commentators were laughable (and one I believe was a Cuse alum). Just happy to have that game over and done with. Seemed like there was strong Syracuse representation there. Was good to hear the "let's go Orange!" chant over the commentators. That must be really annoying for the home fans. Love it.

Bring on Duke!!

Patterson is a great idea, but you are we kidding? There is zero chance he gives him any PT at this point. I think we just need to hope Gbinije gets going, and Cooney straightens out. I don't quite get what is going on with Cooney-- he is just missing a lot of wide-open looks.

I saw some quote where JB was puzzled at all of the Cuse fans. He was like, "in florida it makes sense, since everyone moved down here; but I have no idea where the SU fans at Wake came from."

Patterson is a great idea, but you are we kidding? There is zero chance he gives him any PT at this point. I think we just need to hope Gbinije gets going, and Cooney straightens out. I don't quite get what is going on with Cooney-- he is just missing a lot of wide-open looks.

I saw some quote where JB was puzzled at all of the Cuse fans. He was like, "in florida it makes sense, since everyone moved down here; but I have no idea where the SU fans at Wake came from."

Agreed about Patterson. Unfortunately (and god forbid) it would take an injury to either Cooney or Gbinije to get Buss on the court. Don't want that to happen. With regard to Cooney yesterday, he wasn't just missing shots, he was badly missing quite a few uncontested shots where his feet were set. I remarked to a friend during the 1st half that Wake wasn't really pressuring our shooters. I think the issue with Cooney is lack of confidence and mental toughness. He has had a couple terrible games, has become overly self-conscious and critical, and is starting to do things to overcompensate. Hence his shooting mechanics have suffered. He is thinking too much. This is nothing new...saw the same thing from him last year. He doesn't have the composure (IMO) to overcome a bad half and turn his game around. Let's hope he proves me wrong because we desperately need him if we are to make a run at the NC this year..

i really hope that when he finally did make his shots at the end carries over...rather he get hot at the end of the game leading up to saturday than go cold leading up to it. i still shake my head at how good keita has become.

on a side note, while watching the game my son couldn't shake where he knew the WF kid Coron Williams from, we knew he was a midlo, va guy, then it dawned on him, he was a next door neighbor 10 years ago and he used to play on our hoop...my son was ready to start taking some blame for toughening him up...

Agreed about Patterson. Unfortunately (and god forbid) it would take an injury to either Cooney or Gbinije to get Buss on the court. Don't want that to happen. With regard to Cooney yesterday, he wasn't just missing shots, he was badly missing quite a few uncontested shots where his feet were set. I remarked to a friend during the 1st half that Wake wasn't really pressuring our shooters. I think the issue with Cooney is lack of confidence and mental toughness. He has had a couple terrible games, has become overly self-conscious and critical, and is starting to do things to overcompensate. Hence his shooting mechanics have suffered. He is thinking too much. This is nothing new...saw the same thing from him last year. He doesn't have the composure (IMO) to overcome a bad half and turn his game around. Let's hope he proves me wrong because we desperately need him if we are to make a run at the NC this year..

A ton of transplants in NC from NYS. I had a couple of friends at the game last night. As for Cooney he is a shooter and in a slump. The only way to get out of that slump is to keep shooting. He was stellar in the BC game but other than that hasn't done much. As long as they keep winning he has time to figure it out. Hopefully on Saturday.

"Silent G" does indeed need to get more aggressive and hopefully facing his former team will do that for him. He seems like he is good but doesn't trust himself to be.

I was really concerned about last night. I was scared that the team would look past Wake and then I became concerned that the refs were going to give it to Wake. I love that this team knows how to finish! 4 minutes to go as long as it is close I have complete faith that they will turn it into a 10 point win as they have done so many times.

Has there been any news on Ennis' ankle?

I love that! haven't heard it before...(maybe because it's silent) :D

I believe it is the teams nickname for him although since I get it here I honestly have no idea where I heard it :lol: definitely fits his personality though.

edit: after some googling it appears it was his nickname even on the Duke team.

Edited by section122

So, just looking and listening to local media some more. Still not too high on Syracuse. Sure, they'll say they're a good team and strong and shouldn't be overlooked but they always get to a "but" and then another "but" and another "but." Eventually they turn it in to how these young kids for UNC are doing well and getting better each week. How Duke is strong and will make a run in to the tournament but they won't make the sweet 16.

Wake is everyones second favorite team people say here. The comments about it by people I talked to/coworkers/etc and just shared on the radio/etc seemed to be that Cuse is very good but this year the ACC is weaker then normal. The teams that'd normally challenge them are not able to do so - because, ya know, a few years ago those teams in the ACC would have killed Cuse. They literally like up the Championship UNC teams and Duke teams and say that Cuse didn't even finish well those seasons. Well, it basically finishes up as just that Cuse is ranked so high because they are on top of the ACC and not because they are actually deserving of it. The cream of the crop would beat Syracuse...

In NC college basketball is treated as arrogantly as a Bostonian treats the Sawks or Patsies.

So, just looking and listening to local media some more. Still not too high on Syracuse. Sure, they'll say they're a good team and strong and shouldn't be overlooked but they always get to a "but" and then another "but" and another "but." Eventually they turn it in to how these young kids for UNC are doing well and getting better each week. How Duke is strong and will make a run in to the tournament but they won't make the sweet 16.

Wake is everyones second favorite team people say here. The comments about it by people I talked to/coworkers/etc and just shared on the radio/etc seemed to be that Cuse is very good but this year the ACC is weaker then normal. The teams that'd normally challenge them are not able to do so - because, ya know, a few years ago those teams in the ACC would have killed Cuse. They literally like up the Championship UNC teams and Duke teams and say that Cuse didn't even finish well those seasons. Well, it basically finishes up as just that Cuse is ranked so high because they are on top of the ACC and not because they are actually deserving of it. The cream of the crop would beat Syracuse...

In NC college basketball is treated as arrogantly as a Bostonian treats the Sawks or Patsies.

This would drive me crazy. When has the ACC been a powerhouse conference? 10 years ago? It's been a 2-team conference for years, carried by Duke and an up-and-down UNC. During that same time, you saw SU, Pitt, Nova, GTown, Louisville, Marquette, UConn have sustained success.

Wake Forest? Still re-living the Tim Duncan days, huh...