SU Hoops 2013-2014 edition...

bills44

Miami was incredibly hot today. They just couldn't miss! However the play they ran to death with the high screen catch back door cut for a layup was very concerning. Hopefully other teams don't exploit it before it gets fixed.

Cj fair looks very tired to me. He needs to get more rest during these games. I was happy to see Roberson go in and then poof he was gone!

I agree about how promising rak has looked. It was another good outing for him. Ennis continues to be phenomenal and grant too. It sucks that they probably are gone next year. Hopefully they can make this year count!

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we've also got that redshirted kid from rochester, he's 6-10

I'd be surprised if Chinonso played more than sparingly next season. I'm guessing he plays about a much as Roberson has played this season. McCullough, Christmas, and Coleman should eat up most of the 4 & 5 minutes.

I'd be surprised if Chinonso played more than sparingly next season. I'm guessing he plays about a much as Roberson has played this season. McCullough, Christmas, and Coleman should eat up most of the 4 & 5 minutes.

I know McCullough is supposed to be the real deal. But I no longer bank on any freshmen bigs to come in and contribute anything.

I remember pinning all my hopes on Dashawn wright a few years ago-- and he was out of the program in like less than a season. I am not sure if I ever saw him play a single minute. I also was banking on Fab Melo, who stunk his freshmen year.

Looks like both christmas and Coleman will take all 4 years before they actually contribute consistently.

Hope McCullough proves me wrong.

2016 combo guard, Tyus Battle (presently ranked 10th overall in his class) will be in attendance for the Duke game. The 6'5" guard is being recruited by just about all the major college programs including Michigan, Ohio St., Florida, and Villanova.

Believed to be a Syracuse lean at present due to his connections with the other NJ players on the squad. It can't hurt to experience 36K rabid fans in the dome. Hopefully Syracuse can pull this one out.

2016 combo guard, Tyus Battle (presently ranked 10th overall in his class) will be in attendance for the Duke game. The 6'5" guard is being recruited by just about all the major college programs including Michigan, Ohio St., Florida, and Villanova.

Believed to be a Syracuse lean at present due to his connections with the other NJ players on the squad. It can't hurt to experience 36K rabid fans in the dome. Hopefully Syracuse can pull this one out.

Great info. A big win seriously could make a difference.

Let's not look past Wake!!!

Agreed. I know the term "trap game" is becoming cliche, but this one has all the makings of a real dog fight. Wake is a really tough team to play on the road. They are undefeated at home this season. It will be a much more hostile environment than was Miami. Wake also has the size to match with Syracuse down low. They are a really great rebounding team, so Syracuse will really have to work hard to compete with them on the glass. They have 2 6'9" guys who rebound really well...one of which averages 8.5 boards a game. Watch out for Jamesville-Dewitt HS Grad Tyler Cavanaugh. He's really going to be pumped up to face his former home town team.

Syracuse gets everyone's best shot, but this game is absolutely crucial for WF's tournament resume.

ugh...that sounds like a very tough game...this is where we will miss DC2 and his 5 fouls

Agreed. I know the term "trap game" is becoming cliche, but this one has all the makings of a real dog fight. Wake is a really tough team to play on the road. They are undefeated at home this season. It will be a much more hostile environment than was Miami. Wake also has the size to match with Syracuse down low. They are a really great rebounding team, so Syracuse will really have to work hard to compete with them on the glass. They have 2 6'9" guys who rebound really well...one of which averages 8.5 boards a game. Watch out for Jamesville-Dewitt HS Grad Tyler Cavanaugh. He's really going to be pumped up to face his former home town team.

Syracuse gets everyone's best shot, but this game is absolutely crucial for WF's tournament resume.

Great info. A big win seriously could make a difference.

I recently learned, in addition to Tyus Battle, two 4 star 2015 recruits will also be attending the Duke game. Power forward Moustapha Diagne (27th ranked overall) and shooting guard Franklin Howard (47th ranked overall). Looks like Boeheim is really using this game to his recruiting advantage. These players certainly won't have this type of experience with any of their other college visits.

I just saw this stat-- which makes me think that even though Wake has a couple of good rebounders, they're not great on the glass as a team:

Syracuse is among the ACC's best teams with an average rebounding margin of plus-5.3 in conference play, while Wake Forest is last at minus-7.4. The Demon Deacons have been outrebounded in all but one of their conference matchups despite Devin Thomas ranking among the ACC leaders with 8.5 rebounds per game.

I just saw this stat-- which makes me think that even though Wake has a couple of good rebounders, they're not great on the glass as a team:

Syracuse is among the ACC's best teams with an average rebounding margin of plus-5.3 in conference play, while Wake Forest is last at minus-7.4. The Demon Deacons have been outrebounded in all but one of their conference matchups despite Devin Thomas ranking among the ACC leaders with 8.5 rebounds per game.

I don't know about conference play stats, but Wake is 4th in the ACC in rebounds/game and Syracuse is 13th. Either way...we will see how it plays out. I highly doubt we get dominated on the glass.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/conferences/statistics/team/_/stat/rebounds/year/2014/seasontype/2/id/2/acc-conference

Let's not look past Wake!!!

A radio show host in Syracuse (Chris McManus on Upon Further Review) had a funny take on this sentiment last night. He said that we as fans are allowed to look past teams if we want. If Boeheim or Fair look past Wake, it's a problem. The only thing we need to worry about looking past is if we have enough Cheetos when we sit down on the couch to watch. He also said he was going to make a shirt for those upset about all of the people already wearing the "Beat Duke" shirts before we play Wake. It will say "Mediocre Teams Are Still Tough To Beat On The Road".

I always think the same way as you. Just thought his take was funny.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

You couldn't be more wrong...we fans have EVERYTHING to do with the outcome of a game...do NOT mess with the MUTT....but on an aside, Boehiem addressed this topic this week

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/1/29/5355876/syracuse-vs-wake-forest-jim-boeheim-knows-not-of-trap-games

A radio show host in Syracuse (Chris McManus on Upon Further Review) had a funny take on this sentiment last night. He said that we as fans are allowed to look past teams if we want. If Boeheim or Fair look past Wake, it's a problem. The only thing we need to worry about looking past is if we have enough Cheetos when we sit down on the couch to watch. He also said he was going to make a shirt for those upset about all of the people already wearing the "Beat Duke" shirts before we play Wake. It will say "Mediocre Teams Are Still Tough To Beat On The Road".

This is awesome. I agree completely.

Excited for the game tonight. Here are my thoughts on how it will probably play out.

THE USUAL SUSPECTS:

Ennis - Will play controlled ball and get clutch if necessary. Might be my favorite freshman ever.

Grant - Will be the most athletic player on the court and have at least one highlight reel play en route to a solid performance.

Fair - Will put up his steady 16 pt, 8 rebound performance.

Keita - He'll play his normal strong defensive game. Let 3 passes go right through his fingers. Block a couple shots. As usual, I'll want him to wag his finger after a great block a la Mutombo. As usual, to my disappointment, he won't.

THE WILD CARDS:

Rak - I hope Rak goes double double. Been loving his play lately. He's earning more playing time every game.

Cooney - I hope he has a good confidence building shooting performance heading into Duke where we're really going to need him making shots.

Gbinije - Will come in and give us some good minutes. Then will sit on the bench the entire second half, while I wonder why he's getting no playing time AT ALL if Cooney is obviously struggling.

GO CUSE!!

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

You obviously don't understand the power of fandom.

This reminds me of the father of a friend of ours. He is such a PSU football fan that he only watches the games he can attend live. He says if he is not there live, he cannot have any affect on the game. This means he basically sees half or less of penn State's games every year.

It is very admirable and twisted.

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh