The Lost Art of the Player-for-Player Trade

bartshan-83

Fake-Fat's post on Travis Henry made me think...Why is it the NFL is only major sports league in which the player-for-player trades have all but disappeared? It is such a common practice in MLB, NBA and the late NHL but you never see it anymore in football. Everything has to be for a fuggin draft pick. It seems most teams are much more excited about gaining an additional 7th rd pick than a veteran. It just seems to me that with the wide variety of schemes and cases of players simply being in the wrong situation, many teams would welcome a swap. The last P-f-P trade I can remember was John "The next Barry Sanders" Avery for Marcus Nash. Why did these trades suddenly stop? Is it the complex cap implications? GMs belief that they can do more with a low round draft pick of their own than someone else's veteran backup? The desire for younger players?

I'd like to see it make a comeback. I think there are tons of players out there with all ranges of talent that could make big splashes if they got a change of coach, scheme, city, etc.

Anyone else?

sh-- I missed a few obvious ones. I guess I am leaning more towards the lower-level trades. I meant more like players who are dealt for 5th-7th picks instead of proven veteran. I think those kinds of subtle trades are really interesting.

205063[/snapback]

I beleive the Bills made a lower level trade player for player a few years ago and I cant think of it. Its not Chris Watson. I beleive it involved a TE. Fuggin driving me crazy. If I recall both players ended up busts. WTF was that trade?

I beleive the Bills made a lower level trade player for player a few years ago and I cant think of it.  Its not Chris Watson.  I beleive it involved a TE.  Fuggin driving me crazy.  If I recall both players ended up busts.  WTF was that trade?

205064[/snapback]

there was that jay foreman for charlie rogers trade.... no te's involved though.

I beleive the Bills made a lower level trade player for player a few years ago and I cant think of it.  Its not Chris Watson.  I beleive it involved a TE.  Fuggin driving me crazy.  If I recall both players ended up busts.  WTF was that trade?

205064[/snapback]

Bobby Collins to GB for David Bowens

Not a problem.  :)

Do you remember when JB(that's what BJ Hobert called him) told us that Collins was going to be the "steal" of the draft?  :lol:

205074[/snapback]

I do. I am a draftnik and thought Bobby Collins was gonna be a steal too. I get the draft guides all year-noone had Bobby on their radar. Then weeks before the draft Kiper projects him as a steal and probable 3rd or 4th round pick. I thought Corey Moore was gonna be a player in this league too. What do I know?

IMO, when the league reduced the number of draft rounds to seven, it opened the door to a bevy of very skilled undrafted collegiates. They can be bought for a song (salary cap) and almost every team has a few undrafted guys on their squad who develope into playmakers. It's all about how in depth the scouting departments go and an additional late round pick can sneak one of these guys away from other teams' thinking they can wait until the draft is over to sign them. This is at least a contributing factor to the 'picks for players' methodology..

Fake-Fat's post on Travis Henry made me think...Why is it the NFL is only major sports league in which the player-for-player trades have all but disappeared? It is such a common practice in MLB, NBA and the late NHL but you never see it anymore in football. Everything has to be for a fuggin draft pick. It seems most teams are much more excited about gaining an additional 7th rd pick than a veteran. It just seems to me that with the wide variety of schemes and cases of players simply being in the wrong situation, many teams would welcome a swap. The last P-f-P trade I can remember was John "The next Barry Sanders" Avery for Marcus Nash. Why did these trades suddenly stop? Is it the complex cap implications? GMs belief that they can do more with a low round draft pick of their own than someone else's veteran backup? The desire for younger players?

I'd like to see it make a comeback. I think there are tons of players out there with all ranges of talent that could make big splashes if they got a change of coach, scheme, city, etc.

Anyone else?

205053[/snapback]

Here's a good article from CNNSI Don Banks last March that discusses all the variables involved. You're correct in asking if it's a lot to do with the salary cap.

Anyone else?

205053[/snapback]

I miss 'em too - especially the scr*w jobs, as in the damaged Paul Seymour to Pgh for Frank Lewis, or Lamonica to Oak for Tom Flores and Art Powell. :lol: