Vikes game a litmus test

GG

For the first time in long memory Bills fans aren't making excuses for a preseason game being meaningless. That's a good thing. And that's what makes Friday's game important too.

Let's rewind the clock one year and take a peek at a very similar situation. Expectations were very high, and Vikings got blown apart on the field (maybe not on the scoreboard) the previous week by the 49ers who had no trouble moving the ball, while Vikings had difficulty moving the ball. Stage was perfectly set for Bills to show off the new defense and rattle the young purple QB and questionable WRs. We also had high expectations for the return of Bills high powered offense.

Of course we all know what happened. That game, along with the rest of the preseason was a sign of things to come.

So to me, the big test tomorrow will be the Bills progress from last week, but also to measure it up to last year's outing, when they made Ponder, Jerome Simpson & Toby Gerhart look like All-Pros.

Preseason games are still meaningless, but they are very good measuring sticks.

It's still a pre-season game. The final score means nothing. What means something is how the team and individuals perform in a game situation. I don't think you can read too much into a pre-season game. Measuring stick? Not so sure. It depends on how many reps the first team gets against the opponents first team.

I t5hink the preseason games are important for us as we have a new coach, new qb and bunch of rookies, so every rep we can get is important. Hopefully the coach will settle on the starting qb soon. I can't believe how many talented receivers we have this year, and I suspect there will be some very hard decisions to make in that area. I don't see the Vikings as a "litmus" test as much as I see it as a chance to get experience with a different "look" than the Colts gave us. I would hope Manuel gets meaningful time in this game as well as part of the growth process. I'm interested in seeing what Tuell looks like as well. This is one of the more interesting pre-seasons the Bills have had in a very long time.

I agree with the overall premise of this thread, but remind everyone that the Bills' starting D will still not be at full strength. At least three starters (Byrd, Alonso, McKelvin) won't be playing, and Kyle Williams is still working his way back to full strength.

I'm going to throw out some "coachspeak" here, but what I'm looking for is the "desire to compete." That was out in spades last Sunday, and as long as it continues I think we'll be satisfied.

I agree with the overall premise of this thread, but remind everyone that the Bills' starting D will still not be at full strength. At least three starters (Byrd, Alonso, McKelvin) won't be playing, and Kyle Williams is still working his way back to full strength.

I'm going to throw out some "coachspeak" here, but what I'm looking for is the "desire to compete." That was out in spades last Sunday, and as long as it continues I think we'll be satisfied.

I was impressed with so few mistakes with many rookies on the field. I'm with you. Play hard and look organized and know what you're doing out there.

Are we going to overreact if they lose and play poorly just like we did after the win against the Colts?

You know the answer to that question! :lol:

The board meltdown will be a nice silver lining in case they play like crap.

For the first time in long memory Bills fans aren't making excuses for a preseason game being meaningless. That's a good thing. And that's what makes Friday's game important too.

Preseason games are still meaningless, but they are very good measuring sticks.

These two portions kind of confused me in your post. I think pre season games are extremely important. IMO the confusion centers around what are the games important for. Evaluating players is what pre season games are all about. Creating cultures of winning and things like that are not what pre season should be for. If they are you're desperate or you're solely relying on emotion to help you win. I would never discount the importance of a winning attitude or the idea that emotion doesn't help (especially in football). But what you need to win in the NFL is a QB good enough to beat the other team. To go beyond having a reasonable opportunity to beat the other team you build around that QB.

This team is way too young to make Game 2 of preseason a litmus test. My litmus test is the record over the first four games of the season versus the last four games. I expect the record over the first 4 games will be 1-3, possibly 2-2. If this team is truly showing promise for the future, the record over the last 4 games will be 3-1, possibly 4-0 (barring unforseen circumstances such as injuries, etc.).

I expect a PH of 10..... A strong base.

All nerd joking aside, one of the things I noticed last week aside from the win was the evidence of team chemistry I don't remember.

After goodwins kickoff return for 6, I saw a steady stream of players congratulating the rookie on the sidelines. Mario, EJ, some linebackers, a bunch of other guys.

I just don't remember seeing that type of camaraderie in the past even in a regular season game.

Something good is happening here. Stay tuned fr another positive performance in minny.

Someone once said preseason games aren't important, but they are meaningful. Especially to new regimes installing new systems and needing player buy-in. Marrone and Co. are establishing a culture. I think GG makes an excellent point.

GO BILLS!!!

The Vikes game will be an important test to evaluate where the Bills are in their development, especially their run defense. Unless of course they lose, in which case it's just a pre-season game that means nothing and the Bills will just "flip the switch" once the season starts.