Looky Looky, looks whos in the playoffs!

JP-era

Apparently, Joey Harrington is now done even though he only played for a decent team THIS year out of the 3 that he has been part of there team. So, yeah Joey is done. Me, Ill take my chances that Joey will still prove the doubters wrong. Yes, I think the guy will be good still. Yes, I think he has the right attitude to make up for average skills.

204915[/snapback]

But if Detroit dumps him, he'll never win a SB with another team, because once even a 1st round a QB leaves the team that drafted him, he can't win a SB. Isn't that your argument?

Ari- Blake (some idiots wanted him as our QB!)

Jeff Blake is indeed in the playoffs because he's an Iggle now. Not that this really proves anything since he's done jacksh*t. But you never know... backup quaterbacks can sometimes be a pleasant suprise this time of year.

More often than not, teams that go to or win the Super Bowl have really good QBs leading their team. The one exception I can think of would be Trent Dilfer, and that's only because Baltimore had a ridiculously good defense.

The first round has traditionally been a good place to find QBs. A few years back there were some major first round busts, because general managers got away from the fundamentals. They assumed that a QB could win the game with his arm (Ryan Leaf) or his legs (Akili Smith); while forgetting that a QB wins the game with his head. Now that GMs are starting to get back to the fundamentals when drafting, you're seeing more first round QBs in the playoffs--6/8 in the divisional round.

More often than not, teams that go to or win the Super Bowl have really good QBs leading their team. The one exception I can think of would be Trent Dilfer, and that's only because Baltimore had a ridiculously good defense.

The first round has traditionally been a good place to find QBs. A few years back there were some major first round busts, because general managers got away from the fundamentals. They assumed that a QB could win the game with his arm (Ryan Leaf) or his legs (Akili Smith); while forgetting that a QB wins the game with his head. Now that GMs are starting to get back to the fundamentals when drafting, you're seeing more first round QBs in the playoffs--6/8 in the divisional round.

205095[/snapback]

Really good QB's in the SB, of course. But to say they're traditionally found in the 1st round is not simply not true, no matter how many times it's repeated here. There have been 38 SB's. While 20 of the winners were quarterbacked by first round picks, 18 were not. A list of QB's who were not 1st round draft picks who have played in SB's, and when they were selected:

Bart Starr, 17th round, 200th pick

Daryle Lamonica, 24th round, 188th pick

Johnny Unitas, 9th round, 102nd pick

Joe Kapp, 18th round, 209th pick

Roger Staubach, 10th round, 129th pick (likely 1st rounder, but USN obligation)

Fran Tarkenton, 3rd round, 29th pick

Kenny Stabler, 2nd round, 52nd pick

Vince Ferragamo, 4th round, 91st pick

Ron Jaworski, 2nd round, 37th pick

Joe Montana, 3rd round, 82nd pick

Ken Anderson, 3rd round, 67th pick

Joe Theismann, 4th round, 99th pick

David Woodley, 8th round, 214th pick

Steve Grogan, 5th round, 116th pick

Boomer Esiason, 2nd round, 38th pick

Jeff Hostetler, 3rd round, 59th pick

Mark Rypien, 6th round, 146 pick

Frank Reich, 3rd round, 57th pick

Steve Young, undrafted (from USFL)

Stan Humphreys, 6th round, 159th pick

Neil O'Donnell, 3rd round, 70th pick

Brett Favre, 2nd round, 33rd pick

Chris Chandler, 3rd round, 76th pick

Kurt Warner, undrafted (from arena football)

Tom Brady, 6th round, 199th pick

Brad Johnson, 9th round, 227th pick

Rich Gannon, 4th round, 98th pick

Jake Delhomme, undrafted (from NFLE)

Maybe you're thinking back to the good old days when GM's made good 1st round draft picks, like 1983 when Todd Blackledge, Tony Eason, and Ken O'Brien were selected before Dan Marino. Sheesh.