Heard Stevie's dad on Sacramento Radio

Wacka

Live in the Central Valley of CA and I was listening to the 3-7 PM sports show out of Sacramento, Stevie's dad calls in (seems to be a regular caller) and lives in Fairfield, about halfway between SF and Sac. He said that his son will be playing in the 3rd preseason game. He said the team is very optimistic and glad that Fitz is gone. Said he loved how EJ played this week.

Live in the Central Valley of CA and I was listening to the 3-7 PM sports show out of Sacramento, Stevie's dad calls in (seems to be a regular caller) and lives in Fairfield, about halfway between SF and Sac. He said that his son will be playing in the 3rd preseason game. He said the team is very optimistic and glad that Fitz is gone. Said he loved how EJ played this week.

Rofl, they loved Fitz as a person but if you can't get it done, you can't get it done and if its that obvious to us fans, its moreso to the players...

Receivers had to be tired of getting open only to see passes bounced, overthrown, or out of reach. Even Stevie's YAC were limited b/c Fitz couldn't put the ball in position for him to run after the catch.

I'm curious to hear the context of Stevie's Dad's statement. I can't imagine the players are genuinely happy he's not on the team, at least in a backup role. I get the sense that he was extremely popular in the locker room and a bona fide leader. It's unlikely that Kolb will play very much this season if at all, but our fans will find out real quick that Ryan Fitzpatrick is a better NFL quarterback than Kevin Kolb if he does get a chance to play. And don't be shocked either if the fans in Tennessee get restless to see Fitzpatrick play this season.

Edited by BuffaloBill
Removed political comments not related to this thread

Receivers had to be tired of getting open only to see passes bounced, overthrown, or out of reach. Even Stevie's YAC were limited b/c Fitz couldn't put the ball in position for him to run after the catch.

In PreSeason Game 1 EJ couldn't put the ball in position for Receivers to run after the catch.

The rookie is going to have to spend some major time on this. Its very early in his career with almost no sample set but I'll be watching for the development of ball placement this pre-season and year.

With the speed of this team, the ball has to be placed to allow them to yac it up.

I'm curious to hear the context of Stevie's Dad's statement. I can't imagine the players are genuinely happy he's not on the team, at least in a backup role. I get the sense that he was extremely popular in the locker room and a bona fide leader. It's unlikely that Kolb will play very much this season if at all, but our fans will find out real quick that Ryan Fitzpatrick is a better NFL quarterback than Kevin Kolb if he does get a chance to play. And don't be shocked either if the fans in Tennessee get restless to see Fitzpatrick play this season.

Two thoughts on this one.

I believe we might actually be talking about Stevie's stepdad who's often been identified as his father. We met him last year in Glendale at the Bills game… his seats were very close to ours and we had a couple beers together at halftime. He said that Stevie loved Fitz as a person but kinda hinted that he wasn't crazy about him as a QB.

As far as Fitz usurping Locker (taken 8th overall), it could happen only because Locker like draft classmates Ponder (taken 12th overall) and Gabbert (taken 10th overall) have both sucked big time.

Altering the subject, to me it was so obvious that EJ Manuel was a far superior prospect to any of these guys so to beat a dead horse some more, I can't understand why anyone was critical of the Bills trading down and then getting Manuel at #16.

Being critical of the Manuel pick in the context of Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder is a little bit insane, isn't it???

Not only are EJ's measurables far superior to any of these guys, but his intangibles were only approached by Ponder's and his college career was way beyond any of these guys.

So true. Stevie's frustration was readily apparent on numerous occasions last year, starting with the first game against the Jets. When Fitz triple-hitched that long out for an easy pick by Revis, I thought he was gonna snap.

GO BILLS!!!

I believe we might actually be talking about Stevie's stepdad who's often been identified as his father. We met him last year in Glendale at the Bills game… his seats were very close to ours and we had a couple beers together at halftime. He said that Stevie loved Fitz as a person but kinda hinted that he wasn't crazy about him as a QB.

As far as Fitz usurping Locker (taken 8th overall), it could happen only because Locker like draft classmates Ponder (taken 12th overall) and Gabbert (taken 10th overall) have both sucked big time.

Altering the subject, to me it was so obvious that EJ Manuel was a far superior prospect to any of these guys so to beat a dead horse some more, I can't understand why anyone was critical of the Bills trading down and then getting Manuel at #16.

Being critical of the Manuel pick in the context of Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder is a little bit insane, isn't it???

Not only are EJ's measurables far superior to any of these guys, but his intangibles were only approached by Ponder's and his college career was way beyond any of these guys.

If he's saying that to fans, he talks too much.

If he's saying that to fans, he talks too much.

Yea, but....

If its news to fans, they weren't watching. WRs dislike poor qb play, fitz was playing poorly. That he liked him off the field should be bigger news than his distaste for him on the field.

Still not a great talking point but its hard to ignore what most thought obvious.

I don't disagree with anything you said but a) there's no way SJ is not cool with Fitz as a dude in so far as I'm sure he'd've been cool with him sticking around as a backup and b) yeah, Fitzpatrick is probably one of the most qualified backup QB's in the NFL and, as of 2013, Locker is definitely one of the worst starters and also the Titans are gonna suck. It all points to a QB controversy at some point this season. And also, you have yet to address my assertion that Fitzpatrick, despite several shortcomings, is still a better NFL QB than Kolb. I doubt we'll ever get to see though. My guess is that Manuel takes every snap this season.

And also, you have yet to address my assertion that Fitzpatrick, despite several shortcomings, is still a better NFL QB than Kolb. I doubt we'll ever get to see though.

Geez Metz.

I really haven't seen enough of Kevin Kolb to have an opinion on that.

It's hard to believe that he would be less accurate than Fitz though. Or have a weaker arm.

I would believe that Fitz has better intangibles but I'd have a hard time believing that Fitz has better measurables.

I have to say I find it interesting that the Bills new braintrust found Kolb to be an attractive option.

I'm very curious to see how Kolb shows tomorrow night.

Geez Metz.

I really haven't seen enough of Kevin Kolb to have an opinion on that.

It's hard to believe that he would be less accurate than Fitz though. Or have a weaker arm.

I would believe that Fitz has better intangibles but I'd have a hard time believing that Fitz has better measurables.

I have to say I find it interesting that the Bills new braintrust found Kolb to be an attractive option.

I'm very curious to see how Kolb shows tomorrow night.

Ryan Fitzpatrick just threw for (give or take a couple) 25 TD's in 3 consecutive NFL seasons for the BUFFALO BILLS. With Stevie Johnson as far and away his #1 option and David Nelson and Donald Jones his #2 and #3 respectively. Really think about that for a second. Do you really think Kevin Kolb could ever put up those kind of numbers on such a dismal NFL offense? Again, Kolb will never beat out another QB and win a starting NFL job so we'll never know but I think we both know the answer.