Hugh Douglas and Michael Smith Debatical

Is this possible? After that whole mess with Riley Cooper comes another incident where racism raises it's head once again but the biggest difference is that it comes from within it's own race. I guess ignorance isn't prejudice. Racism has come to light recently as being something that hasn't been known to be an issue in the locker room of a professional sports' team but now that it has it was amazing to see the reaction to it. it was actually a good thing to see, that in the sanctuary of a locker room that it (racism) isn't as prevalent as it is in this world. It was refreshing to see. With that being said it was shocking to realize how proficiently it can destroy the harmony and team camaraderie. It has been pointed out as maybe the one thing that can't be overcome by a coach, team, franchise, and as in the Cooper incident, maybe even a whole city and it's officials. I believe that this could even be a bigger ordeal due to the extent of the social media and how that it's out of the locker room and now it's smack dab in the laps of the whole sporting entity. This prejudice is just under a very thin skin still and in a vast way. It still is a great threat to the forward advance of harmony amongst races, cultures and communities and now fraternities. When will all this be bridged to a peaceful, harmonious level? Sadly I see not in my lifetime. We need leaders, we need leaders of ALL kinds to step forward and take a stance on this. We need colorless leaders, ones who are in it for the right reasons, not because they were victimized or because they are justifying their actions. What is wrong is wrong. Can't that be admitted without furthering the justifications of someone's personal cause(s)? Accountability. What a wonderful word. It's too bad that for most people to understand the meaning is for them to look it up in the dictionary.

Regardless of the specifics involving Numbers Never Lie co-hosts Hugh Douglas and Michael Smith the point remains that when someone utters a derogatory remark about someone it becomes a label for both parties involved. Does the one who speaks it gather credibility when he makes such an accusation or does he in fact loses that same credibility for being so ignorant and backwards in his thinking? What about the person who receives such a slander and insult? Does he invite and validates such a label for being reserved in his thinking and actions for not being a willing participant in an incident that he views trivial? Or is he just an out and out victim of ignorance? Racism is an ugliness that is getting more and more publicized as time goes on it is usually stemming from a white on black transgression but when it's a black on black crime does it become more excusable and acceptable? Just asking.....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to see how well perceived my post went. It's about racism in the NFL. Here's the best part of my post and many of your inputs. I googled the word debactical and I didn't misuse it but this thread is actually in google right now. Go figure

Is this possible? After that whole mess with Riley Cooper comes another incident where racism raises it's head once again but the biggest difference is that it comes from within it's own race. I guess ignorance isn't prejudice. Racism has come to light recently as being something that hasn't been known to be an issue in the locker room of a professional sports' team but now that it has it was amazing to see the reaction to it. it was actually a good thing to see, that in the sanctuary of a locker room that it (racism) isn't as prevalent as it is in this world. It was refreshing to see. With that being said it was shocking to realize how proficiently it can destroy the harmony and team camaraderie. It has been pointed out as maybe the one thing that can't be overcome by a coach, team, franchise, and as in the Cooper incident, maybe even a whole city and it's officials. I believe that this could even be a bigger ordeal due to the extent of the social media and how that it's out of the locker room and now it's smack dab in the laps of the whole sporting entity. This prejudice is just under a very thin skin still and in a vast way. It still is a great threat to the forward advance of harmony amongst races, cultures and communities and now fraternities. When will all this be bridged to a peaceful, harmonious level? Sadly I see not in my lifetime. We need leaders, we need leaders of ALL kinds to step forward and take a stance on this. We need colorless leaders, ones who are in it for the right reasons, not because they were victimized or because they are justifying their actions. What is wrong is wrong. Can't that be admitted without furthering the justifications of someone's personal cause(s)? Accountability. What a wonderful word. It's too bad that for most people to understand the meaning is for them to look it up in the dictionary.

Regardless of the specifics involving Numbers Never Lie co-hosts Hugh Douglas and Michael Smith the point remains that when someone utters a derogatory remark about someone it becomes a label for both parties involved. Does the one who speaks it gather credibility when he makes such an accusation or does he in fact loses that same credibility for being so ignorant and backwards in his thinking? What about the person who receives such a slander and insult? Does he invite and validates such a label for being reserved in his thinking and actions for not being a willing participant in an incident that he views trivial? Or is he just an out and out victim of ignorance? Racism is an ugliness that is getting more and more publicized as time goes on it is usually stemming from a white on black transgression but when it's a black on black crime does it become more excusable and acceptable? Just asking.....

Oh really? You write a whole novelette about racism is bad and you make a statement like this? A little soul searching might be in order.

in order of the most racist races I have encountered:

1) asians

2) non-mexican hispanics

3) blacks

4) whites

I have not met enough true europeans to say, but the ones I have met might top the list. Racism exists across all racists and in forms and fashions. It will never disappear until we rightfully overlook the ignorance.

in order of the most racist races I have encountered:

1) asians

2) non-mexican hispanics

3) blacks

4) whites

I have not met enough true europeans to say, but the ones I have met might top the list. Racism exists across all racists and in forms and fashions. It will never disappear until we rightfully overlook the ignorance.

But why stop at race differences. Some of the greatest hatred come between different religions. Look at the hundreds and hundreds of years of mess in the Middle East.

Edited by Chef Jim

It's nice to see how well perceived my post went. It's about racism in the NFL. Here's the best part of my post and many of your inputs. I googled the word debactical and I didn't misuse it but this thread is actually in google right now. Go figure

The reason this thread comes up on Google is because it's one of the very few instances of that "word" being used. Because it's not a word. You can't misuse something that doesn't exist. My mind is blown.

From Jack's link:

Hugh Douglas got into a fight with his ESPN "Numbers Don't Lie" co-host Michael Smith (R.) during a party thrown by the National Association of Black Journalists at the House of Blues in Orland, Florida.

Bill O'Reilly, Michelle Malkin, and Telemundo should get together and sue that organization for racial discrimination