P Brian Stahovich released by Bills

If you compare Moorman's stats to Powell's, you have to take into account that his numbers in Buffalo were poor, while 8 of his 12 games with Dallas were in a dome, and his numbers there were far better than his numbers outdoors. Powell also had better numbers as a rookie than Moorman had prior to his 5th season with the Bills (and he had played a few years in the WL).

That's fair. However, you are also assuming that Powell faced inclement weather. I could be wrong, but I don't recall any significantly poor weather he kicked in. I do remember several punts he shanked in unremarkable weather, perhaps due to nerves.

I will be rooting for the guy, and I concede that Moorman is probably on the downside of his career. But I don't think the stats from last season significantly bear out that DeHaven was right in going with Powell over Moorman last year.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fair. However, you are also assuming that Powell faced inclement weather. I could be wrong, but I don't recall any significantly poor weather he kicked in. I do remember several punts he shanked in unremarkable weather, perhaps due to nerves.

I will be rooting for the guy, and I concede that Moorman is probably on the downside of his career. But I don't think the stats from last season significantly bear out that DeHaven was right in going with Powell over Moorman last year.

The Ralph is notorious for its tricky winds. I'd say there was a higher likelihood of inclement weather in The Ralph than AT&T Stadium or the Georgia Dome. ;)

And if you look at the stats of the punter who Moorman replaced (Chris Jones), Moorman did worse. Given what Moorman was doing in Buffalo at the time, coupled with his age, I think that letting him go wasn't the wrong move. And even comparing Moorman's (dome-aided) stats, there was minimal difference between the two (basically a 2 foot difference per punt).