P Brian Stahovich released by Bills

Don't hate the playa; hate the game.

I'm not sure if they're at the roster limit, but if they are, they might looking to add someone. Maybe even be first in line when first cuts happen. Or they might be doing Stoh a favor by releasing him early to give him a (small) chance elsewhere?

Yea, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification I forgot about adding was only thinking about cuts.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Powell's net average was 38.1 yards, his % inside the 20 was 35.4. Moorman's net for the first three games was 32.7, his career inside the 20 % is 28.9. At this point, Powell is just younger and better. Nothing against Brian Moorman, he was good for a long time, but had a hard time with directional punting and it was time for a change.

The problem I had with DeHaven (or at least one of the problems) was his concept of "directional punting." I am sorry, but just kicking the ball out of bounds because you have no faith in your coverage teams is not an acceptable strategy. And as much as Dehaven claimed that Moorman was not a good "directional punter", he was. In the game before he was unceremoniously cut, he perfectly placed several punts right at the sideline.

Plus, I would add, if you look at Moorman's stats and Powell's stats from last year, on about the same number of punts (roughly 70), Moorman pretty much beat Powell in every category-- average, long, inside 20, inside 10. (FC's and TB's about the same 14 v 11, 4 v 2).

I know Moorman was declining, but the reason for him being cut--especially mid-season--was because one of the worst ST coaches in NFL history didn't like him. Just thought he got treated pretty unfairly after many years of being a great player for this team.

Did anybody happen to catch the John Murphy show last night?

Murph specifically asked Dan Crossman(ST coach) about Stahovich. Crossman compimented him and said he was doing a good job.

To cut him the next day? That's cold.

Or, that might mean Murph had some inside info, and wanted to see if the Crossman would confirm it on his show. I thought it was weird, asking specifically about this guy, sorta out of the blue, and out of the stream of the conversation they'd been having.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I need to start figuring out how to like Powell. With the way Moorman got pushed out, I (probably unfairly) have been a real Powell naysayer. Seems like he's here to stay.

If it makes you feel any better, I have had several discussions with him, and he's a really good dude... I made a sign last year that says Powell's Posse, and he was always sitting in front of where I sit.... He saw me at camp and asked if I was the one that made the sign..... Maybe it's bc I'm his only fan, maybe he has a good memory... But he's a good dude

Did anybody happen to catch the John Murphy show last night?

Murph specifically asked Dan Crossman(ST coach) about Stahovich. Crossman compimented him and said he was doing a good job.

To cut him the next day? That's cold.

Or, that might mean Murph had some inside info, and wanted to see if the Crossman would confirm it on his show. I thought it was weird, asking specifically about this guy, sorta out of the blue, and out of the stream of the conversation they'd been having.

He is doing a good job, it's just not as good as a job as Powell.

get rid of a punter- gives more time to keep evaluating WR corps...wish we could keep em all....can see NE waiting for us to start getting rid of them....

I wonder if we could trade these other WR's for anything, like footballs to a team in the NFC, to prevent the Pats' from snatching them up.

He is doing a good job, it's just not as good as a job as Powell.

Cutting him now is better for him. Gives him an opportunity to get into another training camp and play in the preseason for another team.

Lindell next out???

Almost certainly - I am actually surprised Powell won already - he seemed to be even at best.

The writing was on the wall for Lindell when they drafted a K in the 6th.

Looks like a heavy dose of FSU in the Bills backfield - QB, K, P, and LS all recent former 'Noles!

Can't say this Florida State grad is unhappy... B-)

The problem I had with DeHaven (or at least one of the problems) was his concept of "directional punting." I am sorry, but just kicking the ball out of bounds because you have no faith in your coverage teams is not an acceptable strategy. And as much as Dehaven claimed that Moorman was not a good "directional punter", he was. In the game before he was unceremoniously cut, he perfectly placed several punts right at the sideline.

Plus, I would add, if you look at Moorman's stats and Powell's stats from last year, on about the same number of punts (roughly 70), Moorman pretty much beat Powell in every category-- average, long, inside 20, inside 10. (FC's and TB's about the same 14 v 11, 4 v 2).

I know Moorman was declining, but the reason for him being cut--especially mid-season--was because one of the worst ST coaches in NFL history didn't like him. Just thought he got treated pretty unfairly after many years of being a great player for this team.

I tend to agree -- Moorman should not have been cut mid-season like that and was totally hung out to dry by DeHaven. It would have made a lot more sense to cut Moorman in camp and keep Powell at that time. (Logic being that Powell is younger and will get better, while Moorman is older and will get worse, and the difference between them this year isn't enough to make a big difference. Plus Powell would've been the cheaper option before Moorman's salary became guaranteed on opening day.)

But I recommend you focus on the fact that this crappy scenario wasn't in any way Powell's fault. Blame DeHaven, and watch Powell with an open mind. Or at least try to.

If it makes you feel any better, I have had several discussions with him, and he's a really good dude... I made a sign last year that says Powell's Posse, and he was always sitting in front of where I sit.... He saw me at camp and asked if I was the one that made the sign..... Maybe it's bc I'm his only fan, maybe he has a good memory... But he's a good dude

I tend to agree -- Moorman should not have been cut mid-season like that and was totally hung out to dry by DeHaven. It would have made a lot more sense to cut Moorman in camp and keep Powell at that time. (Logic being that Powell is younger and will get better, while Moorman is older and will get worse, and the difference between them this year isn't enough to make a big difference. Plus Powell would've been the cheaper option before Moorman's salary became guaranteed on opening day.)

But I recommend you focus on the fact that this crappy scenario wasn't in any way Powell's fault. Blame DeHaven, and watch Powell with an open mind. Or at least try to.

Thanks, guys. I would have been a lot less bitter if they had just cut Moorman in TC last year. Now that I have vented about DeHaven again, I am going to give Powell a chance and try to have a positive attitude toward him.

Powell's net average was 38.1 yards, his % inside the 20 was 35.4. Moorman's net for the first three games was 32.7, his career inside the 20 % is 28.9. At this point, Powell is just younger and better. Nothing against Brian Moorman, he was good for a long time, but had a hard time with directional punting and it was time for a change.

Good point. Moorman is a great guy, and is one of my favorite all-time Bills players. At the same time, no one's career lasts forever. Sooner or later he was bound to be replaced by someone younger and better. As a rookie going into the NFL, Moorman himself displaced someone older/worse than he was. He understood that there would come a day when he was on the other side of that equation: when he was the old guy getting displaced. If it hadn't been Powell that displaced him, it would have been someone else. I'm not saying the situation was handled as well or gracefully as it could have been. But as others have pointed out, none of that was Powell's fault.

Thanks, guys. I would have been a lot less bitter if they had just cut Moorman in TC last year. Now that I have vented about DeHaven again, I am going to give Powell a chance and try to have a positive attitude toward him.

Just stay away from Steelers games. Or else you'll see Moorman!! Was odd watching the Steelers preseason game and seeing him in a non-Bills uniform. Had a few good punts. Hopefully Powell lights it up for us.

So we now have a roster spot open. Are we going to add someone else?

Not necessarily a Punter, but just another body before the first cut?

another WR perhaps :D . In reality I could see us adding another OL to the mix. Might was well.

Here is a list of current FA's for those interested. http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

Just stay away from Steelers games. Or else you'll see Moorman!! Was odd watching the Steelers preseason game and seeing him in a non-Bills uniform. Had a few good punts. Hopefully Powell lights it up for us.

another WR perhaps :D . In reality I could see us adding another OL to the mix. Might was well.

Here is a list of current FA's for those interested. http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

OL or Bart Scott?

If you compare Moorman's stats to Powell's, you have to take into account that his numbers in Buffalo were poor, while 8 of his 12 games with Dallas were in a dome, and his numbers there were far better than his numbers outdoors. Powell also had better numbers as a rookie than Moorman had prior to his 5th season with the Bills (and he had played a few years in the WL).