How many WRs can a team carry?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With teams needing WRs I wonder if some of ours become trade bait.

Chargers have lost Alexander and now probably Floyd to ACL Tears.

Our pre-season superstars are not "trade bait." Teams don't trade draft picks for UDFAs who haven't played a game in the league...

Our pre-season superstars are not "trade bait." Teams don't trade draft picks for UDFAs who haven't played a game in the league...

This is common knowledge yet every year people insist the Bills trade future car washers for actual players/draft picks. Other teams have a feel for who will be cut and will just sign the players the Bills release.

This is common knowledge yet every year people insist the Bills trade future car washers for actual players/draft picks. Other teams have a feel for who will be cut and will just sign the players the Bills release.

Coach Tuesday and Kirby Jackson have suggested that Brad Smith might have some trade value.

I don't think that's far-fetched at all.

The Eagles just traded for a WR that has been in the league for like 3 years with no career catches. I do not think that it is ridiculous to think that SD may have an interest with their situation.

Coach Tuesday and Kirby Jackson have suggested that Brad Smith might have some trade value.

I don't think that's far-fetched at all.

Teams can reasonably judge who is making the roster or not, why offer a pick when you can sign the guy after cuts?

The Eagles just traded for a WR that has been in the league for like 3 years with no career catches. I do not think that it is ridiculous to think that SD may have an interest with their situation.

A bum for a bum, big whoop!

Teams can reasonably judge who is making the roster or not, why offer a pick when you can sign the guy after cuts?

1) There is a waiver claim order. If one player is cut, only one team will get that player.

2) If you trade for a player (even if it's a conditional 7th rounder) you ensure that you get that player and don't leave it to chance.

Good to see you posting again. I know you've been lurking over the last few weeks. Better that you post.

One flaw I see with the Bills O from yesterday is that they don't do enough deep handoffs/pitches.

That is Freddy's forte, attacking the line from deep in the backfield and choosing a lane. CJ is also good at this.

They need to get the RBs the ball a bit deeper in the backfield.

JMO

I didn't see any end arounds to Goodwin either but you can bet your bottom dollar you will opening day.

A bum for a bum, big whoop!

You just said that you can't trade "future car washers?" I gave an example of a guy that has done nothing getting traded today. You are contradicting yourself.

Is it that unrealistic to think that a team that lost their top 2 WR for the season would deal OL depth for Brad Smith?

The only WRs that have trade value on this team are:

Stevie

Graham

Woods

Goodwin

Rogers

The only one I'd think about trading is Brad Smith. There is absolutely no trade value for him. He is absolutely horrendous. Any team that is interested in picking him up will just wait until we cut him. They watch the games. They know that we have the 5 I already listed that will be on this team and another 3 in Easley, Hogan, and Kaufman.

IMO we keep 7 and it'll be Kaufman and Easley with the attempt to place Hogan on the PS. Smith will be an outright cut. He will go somewhere else and catch less than 40 balls this season with less than 4 TDs. At that point hell be cut by his new team at seasons end and Rex Ruan will pick him up on whatever team he's coaching next season after he gets fired from the Jets.

You just said that you can't trade "future car washers?" I gave an example of a guy that has done nothing getting traded today. You are contradicting yourself.

Is it that unrealistic to think that a team that lost their top 2 WR for the season would deal OL depth for Brad Smith?

It is unrealistic, given Smith's guaranteed money relative to his production.

The only WRs that have trade value on this team are:

Stevie

Graham

Woods

Goodwin

Rogers

The only one I'd think about trading is Brad Smith. There is absolutely no trade value for him. He is absolutely horrendous. Any team that is interested in picking him up will just wait until we cut him. They watch the games. They know that we have the 5 I already listed that will be on this team and another 3 in Easley, Hogan, and Kaufman.

IMO we keep 7 and it'll be Kaufman and Easley with the attempt to place Hogan on the PS. Smith will be an outright cut. He will go somewhere else and catch less than 40 balls this season with less than 4 TDs. At that point hell be cut by his new team at seasons end and Rex Ruan will pick him up on whatever team he's coaching next season after he gets fired from the Jets.

I also think we'll keep seven, but that may be at the expense of a fullback or third tight end. If we keep seven receivers, I would expect the third running back on the roster to be a solid blocker; I would expect Choice to be cut.

He was traded for a fellow future car washer.

1) There is a waiver claim order. If one player is cut, only one team will get that player.

2) If you trade for a player (even if it's a conditional 7th rounder) you ensure that you get that player and don't leave it to chance.

I don't think waivers are in effect for preseason.

I didn't see any end arounds to Goodwin either but you can bet your bottom dollar you will opening day.

Yeah but the Bills ran the ball nearly 40 times.

I didn't see the play I was talking about.

I don't think waivers are in effect for preseason.

Is that so?

I didn't know that.

It is unrealistic, given Smith's guaranteed money relative to his production.

I also think we'll keep seven, but that may be at the expense of a fullback or third tight end. If we keep seven receivers, I would expect the third running back on the roster to be a solid blocker; I would expect Choice to be cut.

i also expect Choice to be cut. In favor of Gaskins.

I also think Dickerson makes the team. As a TE/FB. Kind of a Chris Cooley type of role here.

I think we go shorter on DL a little bit because of our depth there. Guys like Kule and Dareus that can play both DE and DT. And guys like Carrington that can do that as well as fill in as a LB(we've seen it before) not like I expect that though. There are others on the DL that are very versatile and then there's Scott that I could either see as a cut, or as a keeper because he can okay both S and LB in a pinch.

Well with the large number of players moving I can't see how it would be feasible for waivers to happen.

Just googling around it looks like any player with less than 4 years accrued service must pass through waivers. Also a player apparently has to clear waivers before being placed on the practice squad.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2010/8/27/1653844/cutdown-day-approacheth-how-the

http://insidefootball.com/2013/07/22/a-review-of-roster-designations-eligibilities/

Just googling around it looks like any player with less than 4 years accrued service must pass through waivers. Also a player apparently has to clear waivers before being placed on the practice squad.

http://www.dailynors...oacheth-how-the

http://insidefootbal...-eligibilities/

I didn't think it was feasible with the large number of players that are involved, thanks for doing the leg work.

I was talking about Brad Smith or possibly Easley. I would rather keep the "pre- season superstars" UDFAs on the roster. If Smith, Easley or another WR are not going to fit into your plans you might as well call some WR needy teams to see what they will offer. If they offer nothing at least you tried.

IIRC the waiver wire is in effect during the preseason. Vets with 4 years experience or more are exempt and free to sign with another team.

EDIT Just read SJBF post thanks for clarifying

I didn't think it was feasible with the large number of players that are involved, thanks for doing the leg work.

Buddy Nix did say the 24 hours after final cut downs is one of the best days to improve your roster. This is how Urbik became a Bill

Edited by BRAWNDO