Who was helped and who was hurt

cage

Discussion about the affect of those who weren't on the field

Who was helped...

-- Jairus Byrd certainly, I think we need to get him into camp somehow, I hope they're talking because both Luck and Hasselbeck were able to move the ball pretty well.

Who was hurt...

-- Obviously Kevin Kolb given the performance of both QBs

-- Brad Smith, with the effectiveness of young WRs and kick returners, it clearly puts him in some jeopardy. With a reduced, renegotiated contract they should try to trade him for something outside the divisions as I wouldn't want the Jets or Pats to sign him when we cut him

-- 1 roster spot for WR/DB/LB after Tuel's performance, he made it much more difficult to stash him on the PS

any others??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinions:

(offensive statement removed)

Helped: Bench players. We "won" the rest of the game by a land slide. We have some decent depth at certain positions, it seems.

Helped: Tuel. Not much to say, he kicked ass.

Hurt: Kolb. Both EJ and Tuel playing well makes for an unexpected story coming soon.

Hurt: Every RB not named CJ Spiller. But BUT... it might have been the play calling/blocking. They didn't really run any plays that gave our RBs any space.

Helped: CJ Spiller and EJ Manuel. Both ripped off some large runs. If we run spread sets, both of these two will be dangerous on the ground and in space.

Hurt: Brad Smith. I was a fan of keeping him, because he's all around useful. But I think we've plugged any holes he could fill with better players.

Helped: Goodwin, Hogan, Easley. All three made plays yesterday. All three could find themselves on the team when the regular season starts. Goodwin is our new KR guy, by a mile. Hogan seems to have ultra reliable hands, a good possession guy. And everyone knows about Easley.

Helped: Front Seven. It's amazing what a new DC will do for a team. It's pretty cool getting pressure from different looks.

Hurt: Opposing team's QBs. ;)

All in all, I was pretty happy. EJ looked a bit nervous out there until a few series into the game. Also, like I said, we need a different tactic when running the ball. We don't have the line to just stuff it up the middle. I think Hackett should take a look at the way Chan ran our running game last year for some inspiration. Spread the field, give your RBs room to operate. CB is a mess. Gilmore is the only decent CB on this team as of right now. Hopefully Brooks or someone else, can step it up. But yesterday, Brooks was out of position quite a few times... though he did make a nice hit to cause a fumble.

Edited by Dorkington

I was so impressed with Tuel, even though he was going against backups, I actually think Kolb may have been hurt. If they only go with two QB's, not sure if they would do what Washington did and go with two rookies, but if Tuel and EJ just continue to get better, why keep Kolb.

Helped: Other than Tuel helping himself, would be McKelvin. As mentioned earlier Luck and Hasselbeck didn't have too many problems moving the ball.

Discussion about the affect of those who weren't on the field

Who was helped...

-- Jairus Byrd certainly, I think we need to get him into camp somehow, I hope they're talking because both Luck and Hasselbeck were able to move the ball pretty well.

Who was hurt...

-- Obviously Kevin Kolb given the performance of both QBs

-- Brad Smith, with the effectiveness of young WRs and kick returners, it clearly puts him in some jeopardy. With a reduced, renegotiated contract they should try to trade him for something outside the divisions as I wouldn't want the Jets or Pats to sign him when we cut him

-- 1 roster spot for WR/DB/LB after Tuel's performance, he made it much more difficult to stash him on the PS

any others??

Perhaps I am not as optimistic as others, but I think Manual did not do any harm to Kolb. While with more zip, his passing was reminiscent of Capt Checkdown....let's see how he looks after 3 preseason games before we go cutting the only proven vet on the roster.

My opinions:

Hurt: First team players. We "lost" the "starters game". (I'm not overreacting, it's a fact, but it's also not the end of the world)

HUh? It was 0-0 when the Indy and Bills starters left the game.

Perhaps I am not as optimistic as others, but I think Manual did not do any harm to Kolb. While with more zip, his passing was reminiscent of Capt Checkdown....let's see how he looks after 3 preseason games before we go cutting the only proven vet on the roster.

What did you want him to do throw INTs?

I see where you are going with Capt Checkdown... but Manuel's release is wayyyy quicker. Also, typical of rookies, esp. in first NFL action, to check down. Trentative Checkwards was doing that in like his 4th season.

What did you want him to do throw INTs?

Exactly, and loved where he spun his way out of a sack and then threw it away when in trouble. Didn't take chances or fumble. 0 turnovers by a rookie QB, me likey.

HUh? It was 0-0 when the Indy and Bills starters left the game.

I'd say it was closer to 3-10. Most of the starters were in at the end of the first quarter, with some notable exceptions. But like I said, it's not a huge deal. It's pre-season. Our starters didn't play as well against theirs, as our backups played against theirs. Our bench players had a much more impressive game overall.

Hogan, looks just like I said and just like Miami saw last year. He is a camp hero but a game time mess.

LIving in Virginia, I haven't had a chanced to see Hogan before yesterday. Honestly he reminded me of David Nelson... good hands, tall, lanky, decent possession receiver, but looks like he's going to get broken in half every time he's tackled

I'd say it was closer to 3-10. Most of the starters were in at the end of the first quarter, with some notable exceptions. But like I said, it's not a huge deal. It's pre-season. Our starters didn't play as well against theirs, as our backups played against theirs. Our bench players had a much more impressive game overall.

They were? Marrone was lying then then saying he took guys out after 2 series.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

They were? Marrone was lying then then saying he tools guys like Mario andnkyle out after 2 series.

I guess you missed "notable exceptions". Luck, CJ, the Williams duo were out after two series. All the rest of the starters were in, from what I saw.

I don't know why people are so offended by the fact that our starters didn't play as well (not poorly, 'as well') against theirs... the Colts are a playoff team. It was a good test, and we played well overall, even with the "loss" of the first quarter (quotes are important here).

---

Original post edited, so people can back away from the ledge.

Edited by Dorkington

I guess you missed "notable exceptions". Luck, CJ, the Williams duo were out after two series. All the rest of the starters were in, from what I saw.

I don't know why people are so offended by the fact that our starters didn't play as well (not poorly, 'as well') against theirs... the Colts are a playoff team. It was a good test, and we played well overall, even with the "loss" of the first quarter (quotes are important here).

OK so the starters weren't in.

Only 1 person trolling here.

Please show me where I'm trolling? Is it because I used the word "lost" rather liberally? I thought putting it into quotes would have been a good indication that I wasn't making any strong statements about it.

Please show me where I'm trolling? Is it because I used the word "lost" rather liberally? I thought putting it into quotes would have been a good indication that I wasn't making any strong statements about it.

It's your insistence on starters vs starters.

It's been pointed out to you many times that pure starters (among those players that were dressed for the game) only played 2 series.

It's your insistence on starters vs starters.

It's been pointed out to you many times that pure starters (among those players that were dressed for the game) only played 2 series.

What qualifies as a "pure starter"? I said "starters", to me that means anyone who would be playing in a regular season game on a regular basis. Luck being replaced? That's not a "starter" situation. CJ, Williams, Williams rotating out? That's a normal regular season situation, and to me, still qualifies as "starter time".

But ok. I'm the troll.

I'll remove my offending opinions on the matter. My deepest apologies to you and all those that I've hurt.