The bills first preseason game left me with one word (wow)

There are some nice things that came out of today though. I was impressed with EJ. Not his arm but I really liked his poise and apparent command of the offense. For his first game I think he looks like he will be the real deal. I liked that our D actually had some pre snap movement and actually blitzed! Goodson has some nice speed and I liked how Alonso stripped the ball in the endzone. Some positive signs and stuff I;m not used to seeing from the Bills. I still don't think we get more than 6 wins but I'm thinking we will turn the corner upwards. Also Tuel looks like a bonus in the draft. Looking forward to next week.

On the Colts side I think Luck, Hilton and Fleener are very good. They would be the guys I would like to have on my team.

You weren't impressed with his arm? I was. Needs to develop more chemistry with his receivers and get Stevie and Scott back.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You weren't impressed with his arm? I was. Needs to develop more chemistry with his receivers and get Stevie and Scott back.

He didn't throw a lot down field but I kind of like that. Build his confidence. That strike down the middle for the score to the TE was pretty impressive though

He didn't throw a lot down field but I kind of like that. Build his confidence. That strike down the middle for the score to the TE was pretty impressive though

Yeah, apparently Hackett didn't want to have him throw deep, which was a surprise to Marrone.

Ah, the unbridled, uncrushed optimism of August. Before you know it, we're past September's "It's just the start of the season, there's a lot of football left to play" in to October's "If not for a few unlucky bounces/calls, we'd be 5-2." Hence into November's "We're not mathematically eliminated yet," and December's "Who will we draft this year (and it needs to be an OL, WR, or QB)."

So true, but the Bills haven't had this much talent in a long time. There's ALWAYS reason for concern, but at least there's reason for excitement too ... for a change.

Speed kills and we've got it in a big way.

Teams tend not to game-plan for preseason games.

Fact: There is NO correlation between preseason success, or failure, with regular season success, or failure.

This is a good start, nothing else. Not to crush hope, or to buoy it.

True. Except in the case of our Bills. At least in the negative. Remember when they sucked in the preseason the last couple of seasons and still sucked during the season. All the while claiming "it's just the preseason. we'll fix it." or "we didn't game plan."

I for one am glad that even if they end up sucking during the actual season, we at least got to watch some damn entertaining football. Even if it is the preseason.

I hate it when they lose. But hate it more when they're boring, don't seem to know what they're doing and lose. I think this team will at least be half way entertaining...

C

The bills new talent combined with a fantastic group of coaches makes me think that the bills will contend for the division starting this year!! The tempo on offense and the discipline by two rookies to run it well spoke volumes for the new OC..*and now we have so much more talent to work with at WR.. the way the defense forced the opps offense to react(as well as the heart they played with) spoke volumes for the new DC.. Oh and now we have a LB Core lookout for the bills defense this year.. I believe that the biggest decision for the bills hc this year will be to start kolb or manuel... with this D we must start whoever is best player right now because if we get solid play from qb with this uptempo offense that will give all of our new talent........ (ooooo the speed) (please get these guys the ball in space (ie goodwin) the chance to dominate games .. oh and throw tuel in there WHO IS THIS GUY? amazing!! .. all in all i was so impressed with how kiko manuel goodwin the list goes on of new rookies who will have a great impact this year .. love all the talent and the coaching to get the best out of it... GO BILLS!~~~

Im with ya

"Why not try to win?" Love this for a change. Really sums up pre season. Ya it's pre season but you are out there playing a game still so why not try to win?

And that's what Marrone said yesterday when asked what he hoped the team would accomplish… to play aggressively and to win the game.

I LOVE having a coach who wants to win preseason games instead of hedging and giving a lot of less-than-honest coachspeak.

If it makes you feel any better, remember Januray is "Watch Tom Brady B word and moan as the Pats inexplicably choke away a playoff game" month.

I prefer December. You know, the "but Tony Romo was excellent for my fantasy team. What happened to him, again" month.

I watched every team in our division in their first preseason games. None of them performed as well as the Bills. I know that most of what I saw were second and third stringers, but some of those guys will end up seeing a lot of playing time.

Disagree. The Pats first team looked much better than our first team and that's what counts. No doubt I was very impressed with our depth however.

I'm not a Kool-aide drinker, but I was very impressed with the coaching of the team. Compared to the Colts our players were disciplined, motivated and energetic.

Yes, this was a preseason game and teams have different philosophies about how to approach them. And players respond to the philosophy of the coaching staff.

The first string, and even the second string backups for the Colts seemed to be just trying to avoid getting hurt. There was little effort or fire in most of them. They just seemed to be going through the motions during the game. They seemed disinterested, almost lackadaisical at times. I swear I saw the Colts 1st team members shaking their heads at the Bill's players when they busted their butts off on a play exactly like they would in a "real game". Like what do you think you are doing?

I'm not sure how this will translate to the real season when everyone on the opposition is going full out, but the Bills looked like a well coached machine playing a stray group of guys playing pick up ball.

I can't help but be excited if they continue this effort and discipline,but it is hard to judge the real talent of our guys when they are not facing a team that seems to really care or to really be trying. I hope we face a team with a winning playoff philosophy in preseason to find out. I hope they are for real.

I do know I really like the coaching so far.

Great result. And it's nice not to have to get on this board and argue that a bad pre-season loss is meaningless.

But the reason we won was that our 3rd string QB and 3rd string defense owned the Colts' 3rd stringers.

Didn't you mean SECOND string QB?

Disagree. The Pats first team looked much better than our first team and that's what counts. No doubt I was very impressed with our depth however.

Not really. The Colts are a much better team than the Eagles, not only from a personnel standpoint, but not having a rookie/new HC.

Perfect outcome for the first preseason game. It gives the new staff a boost, and cushion from the media and fans criticism, and the young team some confidence. Imagine the reaction if they laid an egg?

The negatives for me, confirms the weaknesses at LG and second CB, and also the need to get Byrd back.

It's good for most to be optimistic here for a change! I do have to bring in a point that we did play our starters for longer than they played their starting defense. That second quarter drive by EJ was against their 2nd team D. Indy knows what they have on their 1st team and have a scheme that is in place. We have to use this preseason to build confidence in the structure and scheme of the offense and defensive positions. ANYONE ELSE LOVE THE PACE THEY PLAYED AT? CAUGHT THE DEFENSE A FEW TIMES OFF BALANCE.

I remember feeling this good after The Bills dismantled KC two years ago - in KC.

It's a long season, and The Bills have a long way to go. I do think this will be a much better season for the team and we fans than we've seen in a long, long time.

Go Bills!