Pats - Colts intrigue continues

DPR4444

AP via yahoo

Slippery field could trip up Colts

January 13, 2005

FOXBORO, Mass. (AP) -- Thick fog descended on the still uncovered field at Gillette Stadium on Thursday, a day after rain left the turf for New England's playoff game against Indianapolis a muddy mess.

As the rain fell, a dry Bill Belichick flashed an innocent-looking smile.

Certainly, the Patriots coach wouldn't allow the field to turn into a swamp or a skating rink for Peyton Manning and his dangerous receivers in Sunday's playoff game against the Colts.

Or would he?

``My job is not to pull weeds,'' Belichick said. ``I have a lot of other things to do. Or rake the field and all of that. I'm sure that will all be taken care of.''

The rain fell Wednesday, then the fog rolled in Thursday. Temperatures in the 50s and rain were forecast for Thursday night and into Friday. That should drench the field even more just in time for a dry cold spell -- temperatures from 21 to 34 degrees Saturday; 19 to 33 degrees Sunday -- that could turn all that moisture to ice.

That would make it tougher for Colts receivers Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley to keep their footing and break long gains.

``We feel like it's our nature'' to play in inclement weather, Patriots linebacker Roman Phifer said. ``We live up here. We play in it. We practice in it. So, obviously, that's something that we're used to.''

But other Patriots think a slippery field won't make that much of a difference to the high-scoring Colts.

``They beat people in cold weather. They beat people on turf,'' strong safety Rodney Harrison said. ``They're going to catch touchdowns. They're going to run the ball. It doesn't matter what surface they're playing on. They could be playing on hot coals. It doesn't matter.''

I apologize for my travesty and hereby resign TBD.

205119[/snapback]

Shame on you. For your penance, you must read every post made in the last 4 weeks.

BTW, a local news reports this am claims that the league may step in today on this matter. :lol:

Shame on you.  For your penance, you must read every post made in the last 4 weeks.

BTW, a local news reports this am claims that the league may step in today on this matter.  :lol:

Further proof (along with Walt "the 54th Patriot" Coleman not working the game) that the NFL is no longer fixing things so the Pats win it all. And I hope that IF the field is messed up, several Patriots players are injured and lost for significant portions of next year. Having home field advantage does NOT mean you deliberately sabotage the actual field. Hell why not install mines and only tell the Pats players where they are? Fuggin' cheaters.

Further proof (along with Walt "the 54th Patriot" Coleman not working the game) that the NFL is no longer fixing things so the Pats win it all.  And I hope that IF the field is messed up, several Patriots players are injured and lost for significant portions of next year.  Having home field advantage does NOT mean you deliberately sabotage the actual field.  Hell why not install mines and only tell the Pats players where they are?  Fuggin' cheaters.

205137[/snapback]

M & M said that the NFL deemed the surface to be in excellent condition. :lol: Compared to what?

I'm not sure what kind of 'moke they be tokin' up there, but if that field is icy or muddy on Sunday, the advantage does NOT go to the Patriot secondary, who will only be reacting to whatever the Colts show them. The advantage goes to the Colts WR's who are the only ones who know where they're going.

Actually, in every single one of Manning's 3 playoff exits I've felt his WR's were absolutely horrible and were the main culprits for the Indy loss. Wouldn't it be ironic if some ill-advised NE gamesmanship contributed to that unit finally nutting up and playing some real ball......

Cya

i agree...i had a strange sense of deja vu when i saw this thread title...

205155[/snapback]

I could see if the post were on the second or third page... But it was only seven or so posts down from this one. :lol:

DPR4444 resigned though, so we don't have to worry about HIM anymore! :)

CW

I could see if the post were on the second or third page...  But it was only seven or so posts down from this one.  :lol:

DPR4444 resigned though, so we don't have to worry about HIM anymore!  :)

CW

205190[/snapback]

I think we should consider an additional $10,000 fine.