Robert Meachem story...

cage

I'm always surprised that Nix gets maligned for bringing the guy in to talk. His agent got a call from SD talking big money and they took off in a hurry. That's the extent of our interest as far as any of us know.

Pretty much, but if you remember the board at the time it was DOOOOOOOM. Mario in town but not signed and boom Meachem gone and reports that Mario just sitting around in town, likely wasting our time until he gets a better offer.

This article made his RMs surgery history seem more serious than its ever been portrayed. What's really behind the medical curtain, who knows.

Interestingly the NFL has a pilot program for this season that is moving in the direction of teams sharing complete medical records of players.

I'm always surprised that Nix gets maligned for bringing the guy in to talk. His agent got a call from SD talking big money and they took off in a hurry. That's the extent of our interest as far as any of us know.

They took him to Tempo. They made him a big offer.

In my recollection it was never clear if San Diego's offer was bigger than the Bills offer or that Meachem just wanted to play in San Diego rather than Buffalo. Regardless, the Bills interest in Meachem during early free agency makes them look bad, IMO.

But it's all water under the bridge.

We seriously dodged a bullet with this guy. Especially considering how much young WR we have stockpiled now, maybe signing him last season keeps one or two of those guys off our current squad.

Yep, especially with Easley potentially putting his troubles behind him, this could really be a fantastic group of wideouts.

Interestingly the NFL has a pilot program for this season that is moving in the direction of teams sharing complete medical records of players.

They took him to Tempo. They made him a big offer.

In my recollection it was never clear if San Diego's offer was bigger than the Bills offer or that Meachem just wanted to play in San Diego rather than Buffalo. Regardless, the Bills interest in Meachem during early free agency makes them look bad, IMO.

But it's all water under the bridge.

1) really? Hadn't heard that.

2) agreed. We had a plane waiting for him at the start of free agency didnt we? It didnt strike me as a casual kicking of the tires, it seemed he was a high priority. It's possible he could've failed a physical, or looked like an idiot behind closed doors and we wouldve passed on him by choice but it seemed like we wanted him and were ready to give him a lot of money quickly in order to get him. That he was even considered, especially at the numbers being tossed around, worried me about the evaluations - but we did need a WR and he had a lot of upside so the fan in me was hopeful still.... I chalk it up as a poor evaluation by our pro personnel team and GM to have him slotted so high priority, but give them credit for still letting him walk when he did instead of going higher.

Edited by NoSaint

That he was even considered, especially at the numbers being tossed around, worried me about the evaluations - but we did need a WR and he had a lot of upside so the fan in me was hopeful still....

Here's another subject which hasn't really been broached much in the wake of today's refreshing victory:

The difference between optimism for optimism's sake (wishing and hoping) as opposed to having a legitimate sense of optimism.

I've been feeling the latter since the coaching search in Glendale. It's the first time I've felt this way in a very long time.