No special facemasks allowed

Just Jack

Not that NFL rules are in the democratic and public domain because they aren't.

The rules are publicly available: http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2012%20-%20Rule%20Book.pdf

However, there is no mention of facemask guidelines, except to indicate a maximum diameter for the bars.

Either the printed version of 2013's rules are not out yet, or there are phantom rules. I think most likely, any rule changes have yet to be published.

I Agree. This is getting ridiculous with these personalized facemasks. It all really started with Tomlinson. It's a joke. The league finds the equipment they use to be safe and secure, there's no reason why anyone should be allowed to wear a special face mask unless its medically needed like when a player had a broken nose or jaw, etc.

They do look cool though.

Just to play devil's advocate, if a new facemask design conforms with NFL safety standards, why shouldn't they be able to be used?

I agree. What could possibly be the NFLs prpblem with that?

Exactly, who cares as long as they work and aren't weapons, let em do what they want.

I swear we will all have to "sig hiel" Goodell before every game and don SS stripes before entering the Stadium.

Well that's an embarassing addition to the conversation

That's odd b.c I remember Tuck saying it helps stop getting hands in your face, eyes, and mouth. Guess looks to scary for the NFL... Will they be a Halloween special?

You have to remember how much the league is trending for player safety. Can you imagine the impact that the added weight of these radical new face masks, coupled with them also being weighed down with extra ounces of individualism, will have on the players bodies?

This new rule is obviously about keeping guys fresh for an 18 game season.....oh wait....Well played Roger...well played.

Edited by 716

Could fingers being caught in the smaller openings potentially be a concern if not regulated?

A guy's finger's shouldn't be in that area in the first place IMHO. If your fingers get snagged in a guy's face mask, you probably already looking at a 15 yard penalty. But it is pro football, isht happens.

That is a quite possible, and a valid concern. And that could very well be the reason why the league all of sudden banned specialize face mask. But I don't personally feel that is the case here. Guys have been wearing these things for years. God forbid everybody starts wearing them. There seems to have been an upswing in the last couple of years. Nip it in the bud Roger. I think Roger is truly on a mission to "soften" the league, and banning these "Bane-ish" menacing, intimidating face mask is just another way of doing such.

But if guys are claiming (again claiming) that it helps keep finger out of their eyes, nose, and mouth...and I'll jump to a conclusion here, make it in theory harder to grab the face mask in general...wouldn't that make it even more difficult to pull a guy down by his face mask and rotate his head 180 degrees? Now that's player safety. Not poking out eyeballs or snapping a guy's neck.

Just playing devil's advocate here. It's more so the issues I have with Roger and the direction he is taking the league overall.

A guy's finger's shouldn't be in that area in the first place IMHO. If your fingers get snagged in a guy's face mask, you probably already looking at a 15 yard penalty. But it is pro football, isht happens.

That is a quite possible, and a valid concern. And that could very well be the reason why the league all of sudden banned specialize face mask. But I don't personally feel that is the case here. Guys have been wearing these things for years. God forbid everybody starts wearing them. There seems to have been an upswing in the last couple of years. Nip it in the bud Roger. I think Roger is truly on a mission to "soften" the league, and banning these "Bane-ish" menacing, intimidating face mask is just another way of doing such.

But if guys are claiming (again claiming) that it helps keep finger out of their eyes, nose, and mouth...and I'll jump to a conclusion here, make it in theory harder to grab the face mask in general...wouldn't that make it even more difficult to pull a guy down by his face mask and rotate his head 180 degrees? Now that's player safety. Not poking out eyeballs or snapping a guy's neck.

Just playing devil's advocate here. It's more so the issues I have with Roger and the direction he is taking the league overall.

I was just thinking out loud on the safety issue. I agree its an attempt to limit expression before things get too ridiculous. The bars should be safety not style. If you can show a safety reason, they can approve it but you don't get to do whatever you want just cause it looks cool. That's been consistent throughout the nfls uniform policy and will likely continue. It's called a uniform because its supposed to be uniform in nature across the team, not a chance to stylize or stand out

I was just thinking out loud on the safety issue. I agree its an attempt to limit expression before things get too ridiculous. The bars should be safety not style. If you can show a safety reason, they can approve it but you don't get to do whatever you want just cause it looks cool. That's been consistent throughout the nfls uniform policy and will likely continue. It's called a uniform because its supposed to be uniform in nature across the team, not a chance to stylize or stand out

I understood your initial query, and I kinda of used that to swing into my own personal tirade. I think we are in agreement here. I just wish the league would be more clear, no concise is the better choice of words here, to the players and fans on things like this. Like I said, guys have had these crazy face masks for years...why the ban now? Most likely because they seem to be getting more popular....

I understood your initial query, and I kinda of used that to swing into my own personal tirade. I think we are in agreement here. I just wish the league would be more clear, no concise is the better choice of words here, to the players and fans on things like this. Like I said, guys have had these crazy face masks for years...why the ban now? Most likely because they seem to be getting more popular....

Yea and they are getting more ridiculous too- you see the Ohio state one with the "o" logo built into the bars? I'm guessing something like that also could've motivated them to stop it preemptively instead of waiting to see what might walk on the field and reacting after.