No special facemasks allowed

Just Jack

From the AP...

http://pro32.ap.org/article/nfl-wont-let-mathis-wear-special-face-mask

ANDERSON, Ind. (AP) -- The NFL won't allow Colts defensive end Robert Mathis to use his face mask on game days. League spokesman Brian McCarthy wrote in an email to The Associated Press that the NFL determined it was a prohibited non-standard face mask. At training camp, Mathis has been wearing cagey-looking white face mask that covers up just about everything except his eyes. Several players around the league including Arizona's Darnell Dockett and the Giants' Justin Tuck have been using similar face masks, and those also will be disallowed. The only exception to wearing a customized face mask, McCarthy said, would be for a medical reason.

I Agree. This is getting ridiculous with these personalized facemasks. It all really started with Tomlinson. It's a joke. The league finds the equipment they use to be safe and secure, there's no reason why anyone should be allowed to wear a special face mask unless its medically needed like when a player had a broken nose or jaw, etc.

They do look cool though.

Edited by mrags

I Agree. This is getting ridiculous with these personalized facemasks. It all really started with Tomlinson. It's a joke. The league finds the equipment they use to be safe and secure, there's no reason why anyone should be allowed to wear a special face mask unless its medically needed like when a player had a broken nose or jaw, etc.

Are you referring to Tomlinson eye shield or whatever it was? I believe he actually had a medical reason to wear it or at least got a Dr to say he did

I don't get what the problem is unless its a licensing issue from the helmet maker since these are custom face masks

Just to play devil's advocate, if a new facemask design conforms with NFL safety standards, why shouldn't they be able to be used?

They are putting a stop to it before it gets out of hand.

I don't blame them.

It would only have been a matter of time before 1 person took the custom face mask thing too far and created an issue.

What issue would be created with a custom facemask? As SJBF said, as long as the facemask conformed to size/color/safety rules, whats the harm in allowing them? Smack of Goodell just continuing with his banning any and everything that brings any individuality to the game.

What issue would be created with a custom facemask? As SJBF said, as long as the facemask conformed to size/color/safety rules, whats the harm in allowing them? Smack of Goodell just continuing with his banning any and everything that brings any individuality to the game.

They doesn't wants da playa's to looks "robotic".

628x471.jpg

Just to play devil's advocate, if a new facemask design conforms with NFL safety standards, why shouldn't they be able to be used?

It doesn't though, the NFL wants only 4 horizontal bars and 3 vertical bars. The ones the players have been trying have a lot more than that.

It doesn't though, the NFL wants only 4 horizontal bars and 3 vertical bars. The ones the players have been trying have a lot more than that.

Not that NFL rules are in the democratic and public domain because they aren't.

It's not a big deal to me but it is interesting.

As the starting point of a discussion, what actually are the rules and what is the rationale behind the rules?

I could see for instance if the NFL stated that "facemasks shall not exceed _______ ounces because to do so would create more force in collisions" then everyone could see the reasoning and common sense behind the rules.

However the NFL without comment has ruled against certain facemasks and in favor of others without revealing the underlying logic and rationale.

It's exactly because of this that the NFLs critics can accuse the league of being the "No Fun League" and being fascistic against individual expression.

I could see for instance if the NFL stated that "facemasks shall not exceed _______ ounces because to do so would create more force in collisions" then everyone could see the reasoning and common sense behind the rules.

Yeah, because a few more ounces on guys weighing well over 200 pounds is the thing that will put it over the top. :lol:

This is just another "we're in charge and you're not" thing from people who need to be in complete control.

Wasn't there some strange facemasks in the 70s, checking google now.

Edit; I guess it is within the rules but I remember this one

http://www.helmethut.com/Lions/Karrass.html

ah here is what I was looking for John Williams of the Rams

http://www.pigskinbuzz.com/the-five-weirdest-helmets-ever-worn-in-the-nfl-1547

BTW interesting article and not sure why the no fun leauge would out law innovation, experiments have helped improve the safety of the game. Plus they look cool, I am prety much on the side of this that says Rodger Goodfornutin is a nazi dictator.

Edited by bowery4