Glenn to LT

Nanker

August 7th, 2013

Head Coach Doug Marrone:

"Obviously the other night, we had a pretty long scrimmage. We went over 100 plays in that scrimmage which is, from my experience in this league, is pretty long. And the one thing I was looking at to see is how the players came back from a day off. I thought today we came back in a morning practice, just got right back to work. I give the players credit. I told them that afterwards. I said I was proud of them with the way they came back. And I think that’s important, get ourselves into a good week and continue moving forward. One of the things we tried to do today, and some of you may have noticed it, from an offensive perspective, we took
icon-article-link.gif
and moved him inside. And
the reason why is…we’re not experimenting with him being, not being the left tackle.
We know that down the road from now, when we’re dressing seven linemen, we’ll have a swing inside player and a swing outside player, swing tackle and a swing center guard. And what we want to make sure of is if something does occur with an injury, and one of the inside players are injured, then the swing player goes in there, which one of our tackles is best suited to go in there next. That’s why we wanted to work him today and I’m pleased with that.
I saw what I needed to see
, meaning that he can do that and make that transition. Now you’ll see him just back there, getting comfortable and ready to play.
I didn’t want to do it later on once we started working the pre-season games
."

OTOH, this is far from a full endorsement of the LG battle:

"I think we’re going to stick with those two players that we have there now. I think that gives us the best chances, and I see both players competing a very high level, and both players are getting better each day. Now, it’s just making sure they can go out there and perform in these preseason games because they are doing a good job in practice."

I have a feeling they're keeping a close watch on the waiver wire for either OT or LG as a stopgap until next year's draft.

Probably so as they should. The 2012 squad had a lot of holes in it, too many to fill in one offseason. Players always come and go. It's a new team every year. I hope the 2014 edition has some more fresh faces on the OL. If things pan out right, there won't be too many more holes to fill next year.

This is from yesterday... Today the LG position is down to Brown and Legursky. Marrone said they are the 2 that will be battling for that spot.

Well either Glenn rightly gets moved to Guard this offseason (pissing his agent and him off as he loses Benjamins eventually...) and we draft LT OR we try to sign a legit LG or draft one.

Well, at least priority #1 for Draft 2014 is set.

What? Why would Glenn be moved... Marrone said Glenn will be staying right where he is.

Well either Glenn rightly gets moved to Guard this offseason (pissing his agent and him off as he loses Benjamins eventually...) and we draft LT OR we try to sign a legit LG or draft one.

Not sure I follow but here are two things that are not true:

A) Glenn is moving to guard so we can draft a LT

B) That guard is our #1 priority in the 2014 draft.

We have a good player at a key position, and some uncertainty on the single most fungible and replaceable position in the game. Don't sit back and hope we sign the next Dockery...the position can be easily filled in other ways and not be a problem. I would love to have Levitre still, but not at big dollars for a less important position.

It's a long way from being set. Let's see how the season shapes up first, shall we?

GO BILLS!!!