Ain't heard nothin about Bryan Scott

boyst

I think, at this point, it's just that he is what he is and nothing more. He's a rotational player who will make a play here or there. Nothing anybody really gets excited over or depressed that he's still around. Good guy.

A backup Will?

I have some hope for him with a real and current DC.

A backup Will?

Well it's not like he's a young guy out there. He's not going to be any better than he has been before. He might make a few more plays if given the opportunity by a new DC, but he's nothing to get your hopes up over.

With that said, last year was his best NFL year ever. So maybe he'll put up better numbers even while on the downside of his career.

He was briefly mentioned in mike pettines press conference recently on bb.com

I also learned via Hannah Beuhler that Bryan Scott likes the pasta bar at camp, just incase you were wondering

Edited by FluffHead

Anyone here have any reports on him? Haven't seen anyone in any thread mention him.

Astro? Mike? Buehler? Buehler?

He was briefly mentioned in mike pettines press conference recently on bb.com

I also learned via Hannah Beuhler that Bryan Scott likes the pasta bar at camp, just incase you were wondering

See, just ask and you receive.

A backup Will?

He really is a Will, which puts him behind Dowtin and Bradgam on the chart. Still, if we're low on safeties, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back there, especially if we're playing more exotic variations of the nickel.

Bryan Scott is an awesome pass coverage OLB who will profit from Pettine's defense. He is 6th among all 4-3 OLB's last year in pass coverage. He was a poor run defender (34th of 40). We've seen him in a OLB/S role in this defense, and he has had some moments, but he'll be a backup ILB (Alonso, Moats, Bradham), and could help out at S (A.Williams, Searcy, D.Williams, Meeks). He won't be a OLB this year (M.Williams, Lawson, Hughes, Blatnick, Dowtin).

Bryan Scott is an awesome pass coverage OLB who will profit from Pettine's defense. He is 6th among all 4-3 OLB's last year in pass coverage. He was a poor run defender (34th of 40). We've seen him in a OLB/S role in this defense, and he has had some moments, but he'll be a backup ILB (Alonso, Moats, Bradham), and could help out at S (A.Williams, Searcy, D.Williams, Meeks). He won't be a OLB this year (M.Williams, Lawson, Hughes, Blatnick, Dowtin).

Ugh I remember that pats game when they kept running at him over and over. Brutal.

Ugh I remember that pats game when they kept running at him over and over. Brutal.

That's what really gets me. Everyone here expected Scott to do something about it. What could he do? Hung out to dry by his DL, left on the tracks by his DC, and then as out of place as an (something funny here, preferably a little bit of racial spice in it).

Scott is a terrific cover player who doesn't get lost in space like a lot of LB's who have to drop back. His ability to man up against large physical TE's is upper end talent. He has a lot of short comings in his running game but as a Will LB that should be easily overcome.

In Pettine's systems I wonder where Scott can excel. A cover WLB that has shown the ability to blitz is something I am intrigued by but too fearful that our DL is going to be underperforming this year. As part of my defensive mind I am anxious for the Preseason games to see what is going on. If we can get Dareus to perform at a successful level, Troup to give us serviceable reps, and Branch to contribute in beneficial ways we have a lot of options. However, I am not convinced that Dareus needed less reps in 2012. It looked like he needed more. Although he did look out of shape, it just looked like he got started very slowly in his ability to develop in a game. In fact, I would hesitate to say, but he hung in there in the 4th qtr of many games looking more energetic then many of the OL in front of him.

If we can get an DL to hold an interior and keep it clean between the OT's we have a chance to see some very diverse things at Will. If not we need to give our LB's condoms, because they're about to get f'd.

As far as nickel, dime, 2-5, and specialty... still working on it. However, just for early preview, hows this lineup.

Dareus

KWilliams Bradham

MWilliams, Alonso, Lawson, Scott

Byrd, AWilliams

KWilliams would go to the strong side, man up over the OT to bump the TE pushing him out. He would be as much a DE here as he would be a DT. Bradham would be an on the line LB to blitz or read drop back/watch the flat should a pass want to go wide. If he could be quick enough to not engage the OT he could be very effective here.

With MWilliams on the weakside to blitz. It doesn't even have to be MWilliams in this case, Carrington, Moats might work, too. If the read is right, MWilliams would cover the RB if he leaves the backfield.

This defense would be great against the Jets who may not be able to effectively pass.

JzDnk28.jpg