Carrington agent

What does this even mean? Plenty of players have been rewarded with big-money, market-level contracts with this team. Even the most casual of fans knows this; your statement is more than a little confusing.

It means two things:

Ralph is cheap

Limited endorsement opportunities

Never mind that top money is never given to free safeties for either.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Parker doing that? Only an injury can realistically screw up Byrd's career. He's proven to be a top safety over the last 4 years. If the Bills don't play him this year, he'll still command a big payday in 2014.

I think that's his point...if Byrd comes back--whether it's before week 1 or week 10, it's highly unlikely he'll be in football shape. Nothing prepares a player for the NFL season like NFL practice. All it takes is one flukey situation for Byrd's FA contract to go up in smoke.

Now, it's still ultimately the player's decision to make, but I think that was PTR's point.

How is Parker doing that? Only an injury can realistically screw up Byrd's career. He's proven to be a top safety over the last 4 years. If the Bills don't play him this year, he'll still command a big payday in 2014.

unless he gets hurt or underperforms

ALL the risk is on bryd now.

If Parker cared about players, they would be playing. I don't see how holding out till the season gives parker more leverage. Someone explain?

He's playing the ultimate hardball. The leverage is the tension between the front office and the coaches. Marrone and staff want to win, and they know they have a better shot with Byrd than without Byrd. So they are putting pressure on Overdorf to come to an agreement with Parker. Overdorf is looking out for the budget and doesn't want to appear as caving in to Parker. Thus the stalemate.

Parker does not represent Bills' or the fans' interest. He is out to get maximum value on behalf of his clients. Holding out is a very rough strategy, but it has worked for him and his clients before, so he's sticking to what he knows works.

Getting back to the OP, just because Parker represents Carrington, it's not a guarantee that this will be repeated next year, because RFAs rules are different.

I think that's his point...if Byrd comes back--whether it's before week 1 or week 10, it's highly unlikely he'll be in football shape. Nothing prepares a player for the NFL season like NFL practice. All it takes is one flukey situation for Byrd's FA contract to go up in smoke.

Now, it's still ultimately the player's decision to make, but I think that was PTR's point.

And I'm betting that a big part of the hold out strategy is injury insurance for that particular reason. Like I said, only an injury can hurt his career.

He's playing the ultimate hardball. The leverage is the tension between the front office and the coaches. Marrone and staff want to win, and they know they have a better shot with Byrd than without Byrd. So they are putting pressure on Overdorf to come to an agreement with Parker. Overdorf is looking out for the budget and doesn't want to appear as caving in to Parker. Thus the stalemate.

Parker does not represent Bills' or the fans' interest. He is out to get maximum value on behalf of his clients. Holding out is a very rough strategy, but it has worked for him and his clients before, so he's sticking to what he knows works.

Getting back to the OP, just because Parker represents Carrington, it's not a guarantee that this will be repeated next year, because RFAs rules are different.

absolutely agree about Carrington. I don't think JP influenced JB, and it will mean nothing to AC....ha ha.

But Bryd's leverage is gone. They can't sign a long term deal, and the Bill are not removing the right to tag him next year......and what tension over safety? Bryd is great, and we want him....but we need corners, gaurds.... I haven't heard about a saftey issues in camp yet.

Edited by JaxBills

And I'm betting that a big part of the hold out strategy is injury insurance for that particular reason. Like I said, only an injury can hurt his career.

Where the f**k do you come up with that? There is a salary cap. They are not saving money for Ralph by not paying Byrd.

You can only pay so many players 8-9M a year. First it's Levitre, now Byrd. Sure, pay 'em all. Then we can cut players to get under the cap next year.

By the way missing a year of football never increases your value.

PTR

absolutely agree about Carrington. I don't think JP influenced JB, and it will mean nothing to AC....ha ha.

But Bryd's leverage is gone. They can't sign a long term deal, and the Bill are not removing the right to tag him next year......and what tension over safety? Bryd is great, and we want him....but we need corners, gaurds.... I haven't heard about a saftey issues in camp yet.

Maybe we should take the Byrd talk to the Byrd thread, but there's still leverage to be had.

Maybe we should take the Byrd talk to the Byrd thread, but there's still leverage to be had.

What happens to the "leverage to be had" if Williams takes advantage of his opportunity and lights it up? Not saying that's going to happen but, remote as it may seem, there is a possibility. And if Pettine's schemes bring added pressure from the front seven, that possibility increases.

The only leverage Byrd has is the Bills missing his talent to the point of desperation. Unfortunately for him, he can't control that.

GO BILLS!!!

Whereas that might have been true a few months ago, I don't think its the case at the moment. The stalemate slid on black ice all the way past the July 15th dead-dealing line. He's going to get his 8.9 this year or whatever the tag# is. And he'll get 120% of that next year if they don't hammer out an agreement after the season is over. There is no contract dealing going on right now, and they'd be nuts to agree not to tag him again in order to bring him into camp. Why would they, or better why should they? Him playing or not for this year's squad will not likely be shown in the W/L columns. He's not a difference maker.

As to injury insurance, all he's got is his body. If he's not in game shape you think Maronne's going to play him week 1? I don't.