Top 10 Friendliest and Unfriendliest cities in the world

/dev/null

new jersey is a beautiful state...sadly places like camden really spoil the image, but perhaps that could be more attibuted to philly than to nj...i walked to the train station at night in camden and it is a nerve wracking experience on reputation alone...

Newark. And NJ is on there twice it's so sucky.

LOL - I actually like NJ. Best-kept secret ever.

"Islamabad, Pakistan was named the second unfriendliest, followed by Oakland, California."

And in other news... Water is still wet.

They hook up and be "sister cities." Somebody get Sister Cities International on the horn stat!

So I take it you've spent some time in Islamabad and Oakland?

Depends on where you are in Oakland. I live in Oakland in the hills above the city and these are the friendliest people I've encountered. Maybe because it's upscale and we have to band together to ward off the "flatlannders".

Edited by Chef Jim

Depends on where you are in Oakland. I live in Oakland in the hills above the city and these are the friendliest people I've encountered. Maybe because it's upscale and we have to band together to ward off the "flatlannders".

I got a brother-in-law that was born in Vermont... He calls everybody outside of VT a "flatlander." LoL... Including people from Oakland... He'd classify Oaklanders (Oaklandites, Boyz-in-da-hood, what ever you call them) as the worst examples of being a "flatlander." Crap, the whole west coast to him would be like Mars. The term must be blow back from being called a hillbilly... Or a spin on Maine's "outlander" thing...

:D

I got a brother-in-law that was born in Vermont... He calls everybody outside of VT a "flatlander." LoL... Including people from Oakland... He'd classify Oaklanders (Oaklandites, Boyz-in-da-hood, what ever you call them) as the worst examples of being a "flatlander." Crap, the whole west coast to him would be like Mars. The term must be blow back from being called a hillbilly... Or a spin on Maine's "outlander" thing...

:D

No we call them flatlanders because we live in the mansions in the hils overlooking the flat land where they live. :lol:

I was in San Fran a couple of months ago and I was a bit surprised by how rude all the service industry people I interacted with seemed.

I was in San Fran a couple of months ago and I was a bit surprised by how rude all the service industry people I interacted with seemed.

I was going to say that. It's a huge difference from SF and Oaktown and like I said especially where we live. And I think a lot of it is that the service people in SF have to deal with tourists that can be a real pain in the ass. We were in the city the past Sunday and with America's Cup the city is crawling with clueless tourists.

new jersey is a beautiful state...sadly places like camden really spoil the image, but perhaps that could be more attibuted to philly than to nj...i walked to the train station at night in camden and it is a nerve wracking experience on reputation alone...

I worked in Camden for 4 years. Part of my job had me riding on a van picking up kids every AM and taking them home in the PM. Saw some really really interesting things in that time.

I have to say, once the people in the neighborhood figured out we weren't cops and were working to help the kids they were very very nice to us in general - even some very nefarious characters. Until they made that connection though some places were very no bueno to be driving around in an unmarked van.

My favorite story involved some "entrepreneurs" who had ownership of a corner right next to where we had to pick up a kid. The kid lived in the back of a quad house. He had no phone and we were not allowed to get out of the van to ring the bell because there were other kids on the van who would be unsupervised. We pull up to this house and blow the horn like we're supposed to and get a really dirty look form the guys who are not trying to draw attention to themselves. Day 2 same deal. Day 3 a VERY angry looking gentleman comes up to the van cursing at us and demanding to know why we're blowing the horn. The driver and I explain what we are doing and why we have to blow the horn. Guy says "OK, wait here, but don't blow the horn anymore." Every day for the next 8 weeks when the corner saw us coming one of them went around back and got the kid and walked him to the van. No horn required.

I have to say, once the people in the neighborhood figured out we weren't cops and were working to help the kids they were very very nice to us in general - even some very nefarious characters. Until they made that connection though some places were very no bueno to be driving around in an unmarked van.

Maybe you should have marked something on it....

14877d44_free-candy-van.jpeg

No we call them flatlanders because we live in the mansions in the hils overlooking the flat land where they live. :lol:

:-) The one's you see sliding down the hills when it finally rains? Or the mansions on the streets when people are trying to out run a wildfire... You know, the ones with only one canyon road in a out. One thing for sure, flatlanders aren't that stupid that would box themselves up into a canyon, in wildfire country, and call it paradise. :-P :-P

Don't go to Quebec City... It will make SF look like neighborhood welcome wagon.