OT- Buffalo Waterfront

This looks like a pretty ambitious plan. There are some big dollar figures attached. It would be nice to see it succeed, but I'm not sure if it is viable financially. Where will the money come from? I'd be concerned about large scale residential high-rise development along the waterfront too. I'd like to see more of a park.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050113/1058425.asp

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this actually happens, it may save the city (yes, more than Bass Pro)

204194[/snapback]

You would hope it would become part of a large scale integrated waterfront that includes Bass Pro and the convention center. You would need to extend the rail out to the harbor.

It would be nice to see this happen rather than wallow for 10 years while the city council debates the pros and cons and delays it because of patronage reasons.

This looks like a pretty ambitious plan. There are some big dollar figures attached. It would be nice to see it succeed, but I'm not sure if it is viable financially. Where will the money come from? I'd be concerned about large scale residential high-rise development along the waterfront too. I'd like to see more of a park.

204169[/snapback]

I think Rochester's Fast Ferry would be a nice addition to this. :doh: It is up for auction soon, pass the word! :doh:

You would hope it would become part of a large scale integrated waterfront that includes Bass Pro and the convention center. You would need to extend the rail out to the harbor.

It would be nice to see this happen rather than wallow for 10 years while the city council debates the pros and cons and delays it because of patronage reasons.

204221[/snapback]

I would hope that they could find something to better utilize waterfront property than a Bass Pro shop. Those stores are intended to be up in the middle of nowhere. Put some trendy restaurants, bars, stores near the water, where people will want to be.

Worked well for Newport, KY (right across the river from Cincinnati):

www.newportonthelevee.com

My brother took it and said it was great. Add some gambling to it and we have a winner!

204284[/snapback]

It was a very good idea that was mishandled and managed by myopic idiots since BEFORE the boat even got here. I know a few people who enjoyed riding on it, but I am not sure it will ever become a ferry instead of a folly. :doh:

Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority

If there's one thing to really blame for the demise of Buffalo, outside of the United States phasing out manfacturing jobs, it could be those clowns. Don't they own most of the brownfields and empty land heading towards downtown? I hope that the plan gets off the ground, although, if I was in charge, rather than just building a convention center, I would build the Bills a new stadium with a retractable dome. It would give plenty of convention center space and it would be put Buffalo on the list of cities that could host the Super Bowl. It would also give any prospective owner after Ralph Wilson passes away an extra incentive to keep the team in Buffalo.

Yeah, when pigs fly.

They can't even build a new peace bridge but somehow this thing is gonna get built?

204290[/snapback]

Last I checked we didn't need Canada's approval to change downtown Buffalo...

One of the groups involved was behind the Navy Pier concept in Chicago. That's pretty big stuff.....3 out of town firms?

That particular area is obviously ripe for just the kind of plan that is being proposed. You could have this proposal anchor one end and Bass Pro et al. anchoring the other end of the inner harbor / outer harbor / waterfront dealie.

Is Brian Higgins involved in any of this? I know when he was working in Albany, he proposed the elimination of the Skyway and the construction of an underwater tunnel. He also had plans dealing with the particular outer harbor area in question with more of a commercial space / office park type feel.

204169[/snapback]

I think they do need people living around the waterfront in order to support this project. Whether they're high rises or not, they need to be nice places that attract a good crop of people who have good incomes. Buffalo is not Boston or Baltimore. We don't have whordes of tourists to support a waterfront area through the dark days of winter. You're going to need residents living around it to make it more desireable.