Guard position battle not going so hot

MClem06

right after chris Johnson leads the league in rushing, he will get the ProBowl recognition he deserves.

I don't know about that. After his 2000 yard year, only Mawae made the Pro Bowl and we all know that's more of a popularity contest among players. They haven't had a Pro Bowler or All Pro since.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about that. After his 2000 yard year, only Mawae made the Pro Bowl and we all know that's more of a popularity contest among players. They haven't had a Pro Bowler or All Pro since.

GO BILLS!!!

speaking of Mawae....he's now with the Bills

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Former-All-Pro-Mawae-helping-Bills-OL/5f7723cb-afb2-47ed-afc0-b9c4fc7ca374

Keep your depression to yourself.

Not sure what to make of your comment. Are you saying I should be happy and ecstatic about the situation ?

It may work out, but there is plenty of reason to be concerned. And it seems inevitable that the OL will need to be addressed early in the draft next year.....which is ridiculous considering they had three young first and second round picks on the roster at the end of last season. They should have been set for years.

Right. We were in a great position and bringing a rookie QB to play behind a solid OL would really show us the true O potential.

Of course...you'd never see a team like the Patriots let a player--say an all-pro guard--get to a point where he was unsigned...

Or would you?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5755920

the Patriots invest heavily in both draft choices and dollars in their front 7 (OL & TE). then go cheap at WR & RB. they do the same thing on defense and go cheap in the secondary.

Or the motivational ploys are working, we don't know how the coaches look at this (and judging from the fact they haven't really brought in anyone great to compete, I honestly wonder why they would let Andy leave if they think it is a position that isn't kind of plug and fill). Brown impressed me in the past, the guy is a road grater that needed to improve his pass pro. I hope we run a lot especially if EJ starts but kind of no matter who starts.

I certainly hope it all works out but the majority of the line is now discards and the only thing motivating two subpar guards gives us is one who sucks less than the other. I know the OL has to operate as a unit but with at least 2 of the three pieces being weak (assuming Hairston gets back soon), who will cover for who ? And we are not even having a conversation about depth, this is about the starting OL

the Patriots invest heavily in both draft choices and dollars in their front 7 (OL & TE). then go cheap at WR & RB. they do the same thing on defense and go cheap in the secondary.

They invest heavily dollars-wise in TEs and at QB...on the OL, they only have 1 player (Mankins) making premium money. Other than that they backfill with youth (Solder, Vollmer) and second tier players (Wendell, Cannon).

On D you're right on the money...spend lots of picks on the front 7, but the back 7 has been brutal despite continuous draft choices spent on guys like McCourty, Chung, Dowling, etc. The Talib trade appears to have been a benefit though.

From where I sit, it looks like they are piling up dead cap space for next season (isn't that when they have to spend more cap dollars), and unsuccessfully trying to throw big money at a safety. This mind you with a rookie quarterback.

If this makes sense to you, that's fine. I try, but it looks bizarre from where I sit.

Not sure why it has to be one or the other. We had enough to sign both. Unless we pretend to save the money for next year and then get into the same cycle again.

(In other news, I really need how to multi-quote on TBD.)

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Are we really having the "how to build an O Line argument again?" There are different ways of doing it. So I'll repeat my oft spoken line about the greatest OLine we ever had. It consisted of 2 1st rounders, including one who was labeled a bust early on, 2 FAs, and an 11th round pick that would have been a UDFA in today's world.

Team building is always a fluid process, with many dynamics involved. Many of which don't have to do with the current year.

My advice is to wish Levitre luck and success with his new team and just put it behind us. This constant angst about the position or recurring theme about how stupid the FO is for "letting him go" is pointless.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

All this stuff (below), good job Bandit. Truth is I don't expect them to be as good as they seemed to be last year. For one thing they will have to hold their blocks longer for any kind of a deep game to develop. I know they want to have a deep game as all the QBs can actually throw the ball longer. I think and hope that the players they have do have the talent to contribute to the cause. I think they will run a lot. Somehow I think that the FO (which I think would include the coaching staff) thought that Andy was asking too much $ and didn't fit what they wanted exactly. I also think that Marrone and his Oline coach both have a boat load of oline experience. If anyone should be able to coach these guys up above thier current talent levels.....Beyond that, yeah there is the draft and FAs (this year and next). I'll panic when they suck. We are not there quite yet.

Pears had a training camp injury last year and was never healthy. When he was healthy in 2011, he was solid at RT. I also believe you're under-rating Urbik, who's also been solid. Just one example: if you can find video of Fred Jackson's long screen pass TD from 2010's home game vs. Pittsburgh, spot-shadow Urbik on that play. Ditto for Spiller's long screen pass TD vs. the Jets in week 17 of last season. Urbik can play.

I agree that Wood needs to start 16 games for this team to have a very good OL. Wood's injuries, however, haven't been ticky-tack stuff; he's just had bad luck. I find it encouraging that--despite his injuries--he has started 47 of 64 regular season games since being drafted. As to Glenn, I won't be concerned until he starts struggling during the season. I was encouraged by his play last season as well.

That quote about carrying 7 was misinterpreted by whichever reporter posted it...Marrone was talking about dressing 7 OL on game day, not necessarily carrying 7 on the roster. Also, I don't really think it's fair to say in one sentence that the team "dumpster dives" at OL, and then right afterward talk about the team having 3 high draft picks starting last year. Remember that Urbik was a 3rd round pick as well; he was released by Pittsburgh because he couldn't stay healthy. So if you want to pick nits, technically the team still has 3 high draft picks starting.

IMO he's a top 10 guard that wanted top 5 money. I'm not a huge fan of paying guards $8M/season, which is why I understood when he signed elsewhere.

I can understand that perspective Bill...admittedly, I can only assume where the money will go, which is to extend guys like Wood, Spiller, Chandler, Carrington, & possibly Byrd, etc., as well as to bring in an impact player or two in free agency next year. That would make sense to me...failing that, I'm not sure I'd understand it either. Truth is, with a new front office & coaching staff, it's impossible to know/predict exactly what they're thinking outside of the seemingly standard approach of "see what we have right now before we commit major dollars to anyone" that happens with a new regime.

Edited by bowery4

They invest heavily dollars-wise in TEs and at QB...on the OL, they only have 1 player (Mankins) making premium money. Other than that they backfill with youth (Solder, Vollmer) and second tier players (Wendell, Cannon).

On D you're right on the money...spend lots of picks on the front 7, but the back 7 has been brutal despite continuous draft choices spent on guys like McCourty, Chung, Dowling, etc. The Talib trade appears to have been a benefit though.

Solder was a 1st round pick and Vollmer was a 2nd round pick.......agree with ya on Wendell and cannon.