"What if Obama can't lead?" :o

After one news cycle of gasping, the MSM admits they kinda-sorta-really knew this all along.

Behind Obama's Gates

FTA:

Notwithstanding the headlines Gates has generated with his new memoir, “Duty,” President Obama has himself given many signals his “new way forward in Afghanistan” owed more to domestic politics than to any real effort to defeat our enemies.

He did so in his very announcement of his new strategy at the United States Military Academy in December 2009. “After 18 months,” the president told the cadets, “our troops will begin to come home.” That sentence came immediately after the one saying our “vital interest” required 30,000 more troops for Afghanistan.

In hindsight, we can today see more clearly what the president was doing by using West Point to announce a timetable for withdrawal: He was sounding retreat.

Then why have a surge at all? The answer is Obama couldn’t just pull us out because he’d spent the 2008 campaign decrying Iraq as a distraction had prevented us from winning the “necessary war” in Afghanistan.

So forget the snarks at Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton’s admission she opposed the Iraq surge because of politics. If what Bob Gates says is true, Americans were dying in Afghanistan for a strategy their commander-in-chief didn’t himself believe in.

http://nypost.com/20...d-obamas-gates/

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The White House said on Thursday that the president was nearing the end of his soul searching about US spying reforms as he met lawmakers who oversee the intelligence community.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-unveil-spying-reforms-january-17-184813737.html

Yeah, choosing whether or not to continue with a blatantly unconstitutional domestic spying program that only came to light after someone violated the terms of his security clearance to reveal it to the public is really something that requires months of "soul searching" to come up with what I suspect will be weak and ineffectual "reforms".

Glad Obama's our President. Forward!

Robert Gates inadvertently gives us a good look at @barackobama’s war insecurities.

I’m going to show my readers this paragraph, than walk them through it. Background: it’s part of Robert Gates’ memoir on his time as SecDef.

Specifically, Gates (with the help of the military brass) was trying to keep Afghanistan from sliding off of the beam under the new administration, and running headlong into the Obama administration’s apparent inherent inability to understand that wars are messy and not subject to control.

Oh, and the fact that the Democrats advising the President on military affairs were also, by and large, clueless idiots. But you knew that already.

Anyway, after apparently trying one too many times to make the President understand that warfighters need support staff, Barack Obama threw a tantrum:

[JCS Chairman Admiral Michael] Mullen and I repeatedly discussed with the infuriated president what he regarded as military pressure on him. “Is it a lack of respect for me?” Obama asked us. “Are [Petraeus, McChrystal and Mullen] trying to box me in? I’ve tried to create an environment where all points of view can be expressed and have a robust debate. I’m prepared to devote any amount of time to it—however many hours or days. What is wrong? Is it the process? Are they suspicious of my politics? Do they resent that I never served in the military? Do they think because I’m young that I don’t see what they’re doing?”

Oh, dear. This is rather exquisite narcissism, isn’t it? – And no, not self-reflection, either. The President was ‘infuriated,’ remember? That suggests that the President took the entire thing personally, in precisely the way that one should not. It’s not the military’s fault that Barack Obama was not mentally prepared to be Commander in Chief. Neither is it their fault that Obama apparently does not take constructive criticism well. Or at all. And it certainly isn’t their fault that the man thinks that the military updating their needs is somehow an indication that they dislike President Obama.

paragraph explained at the link:

http://www.redstate.com/2014/01/11/robert-gates-barack-obama-defense-afghanistan/

In his weekly address Saturday, President Obama promised that 2014 “will be a year of action.”

dad9f009a228a78a14f1f4bed0c54f76_normal.pngBarack Obama @BarackObama Follow

"This will be a year of action." —President Obama http://ofa.bo/rd

12:33 PM - 11 Jan 2014

VfrkHfhF_mini.png YouTube @YouTube

I smell a "Summer of Recovery" coming.. . . . . . . Oh, wait, I'm thinking of 2009.

I actually would prefer that the President would just sit out the next few years (as I am sure the country would)

golf-cluib-220.jpg

Though to be fair, we are probably just misunderstanding his words (again)

A year of action probably refers to fundraising..........................................

Edited by B-Man

Great moments in leadership

During his opening remarks today about NSA surveillance, President Obama mentioned Paul Revere as a positive example of spying

So Obama inherited unconstitutional spying from Paul Revere. . . . . . . The excuses are coming! The excuses are coming!

My favorite sentence in the transcript of Obama's speech about reforming the NSA was "In the Civil War, Union balloons, reconnaissance tracked the size of the Confederate Armies by counting the number of campfires"

LOLO. . . . . . . Classic Obama: "On the one hand, East Germany. On the other hand, Paul Revere."

Great moments in leadership

During his opening remarks today about NSA surveillance, President Obama mentioned Paul Revere as a positive example of spying

So Obama inherited unconstitutional spying from Paul Revere. . . . . . . The excuses are coming! The excuses are coming!

My favorite sentence in the transcript of Obama's speech about reforming the NSA was "In the Civil War, Union balloons, reconnaissance tracked the size of the Confederate Armies by counting the number of campfires"

LOLO. . . . . . . Classic Obama: "On the one hand, East Germany. On the other hand, Paul Revere."

I like the reference to Patton's renown code-breaking activities in France and West Germany. :lol:

On the NSA, the Real Problem Is That Obama Can’t Be Trusted

by John Hindraker

President Obama’s speech today on the NSA’s data collection programs satisfied hardly anyone. Few of his proposals will actually take effect any time soon, if at all, and his supposed safeguard against misuse of telephone metadata–it will still be collected and stored, just not by the NSA–is likely to make the situation worse, not better.

Substantively, the most significant change is that the NSA will be required to obtain a court order for each search that it wants to run on the data it collects. In principle, I think this is a good idea, but who has any idea how many queries are run against the NSA databases? My guess is that the number is large, which means that there could be substantial delays unless either adequate judicial manpower is made available to review such requests, or the requests are simply rubber-stamped.

The debate over “spying” takes place in the shadow of the IRS scandal and other efforts the Obama administration has made to use the organs of federal power to suppress political opposition. Put bluntly, scarcely anyone trusts the Obama administration not to use any information its agencies may gather for political advantage.

{snip}

I have always been sympathetic to the national security needs of agencies like the NSA, and I certainly trust the NSA more than more partisan agencies, like the Department of Justice. But the reality is that the Obama administration can’t be trusted, and everyone knows it, including Democrats.

This is the subtext that animates the current debate.

In 2009, when Mr. Obama took office, he had a 67% approval rating. Only one in five disapproved of the president and most of that can be chalked up to natural ideological differences and the fact that he belongs to a different political party.

Now, after he won his second election, he has a dismal 40% approval and 52% disapproval.

Results matter.

This cannot be emphasized strongly enough: the American people are not “racists.” They are good and decent people who have lost their patience with the Obama administration’s blame games, lack of accountability, and ruinous policies.

You can only pin all the nation’s problems as the fault of a long out-of-power party for so many years before people grow tired of it.

You can only smear your opponents with baseless charges for so long before people wise up and realize they’re being played.

In 2009, when Mr. Obama took office, he had a 67% approval rating. Only one in five disapproved of the president and most of that can be chalked up to natural ideological differences and the fact that he belongs to a different political party.

Now, after he won his second election, he has a dismal 40% approval and 52% disapproval.

Results matter.

This cannot be emphasized strongly enough: the American people are not “racists.” They are good and decent people who have lost their patience with the Obama administration’s blame games, lack of accountability, and ruinous policies.

You can only pin all the nation’s problems as the fault of a long out-of-power party for so many years before people grow tired of it.

You can only smear your opponents with baseless charges for so long before people wise up and realize they’re being played.

Actually, judging by those numbers I'd estimate that something like 60-70% of Americans are racist.

Let's see what's new in the wonderful world of Obama's diplomatic corps:

http://news.yahoo.com/watch-what-happens-when-obama-picks-a-top-donor-as-ambassador-161931672.html

...But a trip to the website of the Center for Responsive Politics that tracks campaign donations might help to explain how Tsunis — and not, say, a career diplomat — got the nod.

In the 2012 cycle, Tsunis and his wife, Olga, are listed among the “top individual contributors” on the strength of having given $267,244, roughly 89% of which went to Democrats and 10% to Republicans. In all, he raised $988,550 for Obama and gave $300,000 to Democratic super PACs and $75,800 to the Obama Victory Fund.

To recap: Tsunis described Norway as having a president (“apparently under the impression that the country is a republic rather than a constitutional monarchy,” as the Local Norway's News notes dryly). And he characterized the anti-immigration Progress Party as being among “fringe elements” who “spew their hatred” and have been denounced by the government.

That prompted McCain’s disbelieving answer: “The government has denounced them? The coalition government — they're part of the coalition of the government.”

McCain, already flummoxed by the apparent inability of Obama’s choice to be ambassador to Hungary to list strategic U.S. interests there, closed his questioning with a bit of sarcasm: “I have no more questions for this incredibly highly qualified group of nominees.”

What a petty, petty, petty man we have running this country.

Conservative critic, filmmaker Dinesh D'Souza indicted for violating election laws.

You will be silenced.

He's just working things down the list to Fast and Furious, NSA issues, Benghazi et al in order to have an all encompassing beer summit that will solve everything. Why? Because he declared it so.

Edited by 3rdnlng

ANN ALTHOUSE: Is the prosecution of Dinesh d’Souza politically motivated?

Is there anything this administration does that isn’t politically motivated?

From the comments:

It’s a violation of federal campaign financing law to accept donations from non-US citizens as I understand it.

During both the 2008 & ’12 campaigns, Obama’s web site solicited small donations below the threshold for name and address reporting (200?), and, more interestingly, disabled the credit card country of origin information.

No curiosity by the mainstream media or the DOJ.

[What] we are seeing is the “Chicagoization” of national government, whereby the Democrat party uses the power of government to destroy political opponents.

ANN ALTHOUSE: Is the prosecution of Dinesh d’Souza politically motivated?

[What] we are seeing is the “Chicagoization” of national government, whereby the Democrat party uses the power of government to destroy political opponents.

Yup. We have a very interesting Governor's race in the making in Illiinois. Bruce Rauner, a wealthy businessman, is running and has a large lead in the Republican primary polls. Should he prevail in the Primary, he'll run against a vulnerable incumbent governor Quinn who barely won in 2010. It'll be a very interesting race and a big national story if Illinois elects a conservative non-politician as Governor. Rauner is a no BS kinda guy and will really shake the trees if elected. Will be fun to watch.

Edited by keepthefaith