Interesting read on revenue streams

This article is not directly related to the Bills but it is a phenomenal example of how a small market team can flourish. I have written a few times about the importance of a new stadium and some of the reasons. This article is about how Tom Benson has leveraged (and in some cases extorted) the state. I am not advocating that but the way that he has found indirect revenue sources is interesting. It's a great read for those of you with a desire to better understand NFL revenue streams.http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2013/07/31/billionaire-saints-owner-tom-benson-to-score-400-million-revenue-boost-from-agreement-with-state/

Edited by Kirby Jackson

We don't have an owner as smart as Benson. If we did...

lets not pretend that the saints have always been well run under benson. right now they have their levy and polian and its coming at a great time for a franchise to leverage the current growth of the league. they have previously been a small market losing franchise with the constant threat of moving - much like us in a lot of regards.

I think that this may be the long term vision and that is why Russ has so much power. Russ understands the business side as well as anyone in the business. They need to begin laying the framework for their long term plan.

As No Saint said Benson was the villain of all villains down here at one point. They weren't successful and he threatened to move to San Antonio. The state stepped up in a big way and now they are flourishing.

I think that this may be the long term vision and that is why Russ has so much power. Russ understands the business side as well as anyone in the business. They need to begin laying the framework for their long term plan.

As No Saint said Benson was the villain of all villains down here at one point. They weren't successful and he threatened to move to San Antonio. The state stepped up in a big way and now they are flourishing.

if you put aside the last 3-5 years, really the two teams have a lot of common ground between them long term... now that we are adding a HC from the same tree, i think it will be especially interesting the see the parallels as far as personality and how things are run. hopefully marrone can build in buffalo what he had a hand in helping to build in new orleans.

if they can start winning it gets a lot easier to lean on the state - no politician wants to alienate a successful team with its fan base at peak excitement and size. i remember the superbowl parade having something like 3-4 times as many attendees as the city had residents at the time. would love to see that moment in buffalo.

with regards to russ - hes a smart business guy, even if hes not a beloved football guy. hopefully he can find ways to not just keep the team viable but to, as you said in the OP, make it flourish in a small market. winning is the first step, smoke and mirrors can only get you so far.

Edited by NoSaint