Wait, so anyone can see what I put on Facebook? (example #7,379)

Just Jack

Wrong. Because Madison Ave decides to call sometime a cocktail to make it more appealing and marketable does not mean it's a cocktail.

Just because a fishmonger decided to call a Patagonian Toothfish Chilean Sea Bass does not mean it's a sea bass

This is like the argument when defining the word irony. People argue all the time the classic definition. Yes, the classic definition of cocktail means to have spirits. That has since changed.

Then there is: Shrimp cocktail? Definition 2.

No. Not just Madison Ave. It isn't Madison Ave that made up the name: "cranberry juice cocktail." It falls under 1B. in Websters, it doesn't have to have spirits, just resemble that drink. Maybe even 1C. since it says: "...especially..." The word especially is the not always.

1rooster·tail

noun \'käl-tal\

Definition of COCKTAIL

a: an iced drink of wine or distilled liquor mixed with flavoring ingredients

b: something resembling or suggesting such a drink as being a mixture of often diverse elements or ingredients <a cocktail of remembered incidents and pure imagination — Charlotte Low> <a cocktail of herbicides>

c: a mixture of agents usually in solution that is taken or used together especially for medical treatment or diagnosis

: an appetizer served as a first course at a meal

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This is like the argument when defining the word irony. People argue all the time the classic definition. Yes, the classic definition of cocktail means to have spirits. That has since changed.

Then there is: Shrimp cocktail? Definition 2.

No. Not just Madison Ave. It isn't Madison Ave that made up the name: "cranberry juice cocktail." It falls under 1B. in Websters, it doesn't have to have spirits, just resemble that drink. Maybe even 1C. since it says: "...especially..." The word especially is the not always.

1rooster·tail

noun \'käl-tal\

Definition of COCKTAIL

a: an iced drink of wine or distilled liquor mixed with flavoring ingredients

b: something resembling or suggesting such a drink as being a mixture of often diverse elements or ingredients <a cocktail of remembered incidents and pure imagination — Charlotte Low> <a cocktail of herbicides>

c: a mixture of agents usually in solution that is taken or used together especially for medical treatment or diagnosis

: an appetizer served as a first course at a meal

Ok you win. You stuck with your cranberry and guava juice cocktail I'll stick with my Makers Mark Manhattan up.

Wrong. Because Madison Ave decides to call sometime a cocktail to make it more appealing and marketable does not mean it's a cocktail.

Perhaps not, but when Madison Avenue decides to do that it becomes part of the public lexicon. Thus, to assume a woman is serving her children alcohol based on her casual use of the word 'cocktail' is absurd.

Ok you win. You stuck with your cranberry and guava juice cocktail I'll stick with my Makers Mark Manhattan up.

The Simply Cranberry Cocktail, IMO, tastes the best. Better than Ocean Spray... Seems it is the only one my daughter will drink. It is always off the shelf @ my grocery store. Now, there is nothing wrong with the adults adding a nip (okay, slug) of vodka to it... ;-)

Perhaps not, but when Madison Avenue decides to do that it becomes part of the public lexicon. Thus, to assume a woman is serving her children alcohol based on her casual use of the word 'cocktail' is absurd.

After further review you're right. It was stupid for the person to rat out a FB "friend". However the traditionalist is me will always consider a cocktail in the classic sense. If I go to your house and ask for a cocktail and you pour me a glass of cranberry juice with soda I swear to god I will kick you in the nuts. :lol: