Wait, so anyone can see what I put on Facebook? (example #7,379)

Just Jack

Cops called on mom over Facebook 'mocktails' post

SALEM, Mass. (WHDH) -- A mother’s video posted on Facebook caused concern and police showed up at the family’s Salem home. Taylor Grey makes organic fruit smoothies for her children. On special occasions she adds some fizz. Grey jokingly calls it a cocktail. “They feel like they’re grownup and like it’s a party and we let them choose their garnish or whatever -- it’s just a fun kind of thing,” said Grey. Grey uploaded a video of her son pretending to be a superhero with a “beer”. Soon after police arrived at her door. Someone had filed an anonymous tip that Grey was serving alcohol to her children.

Better safe than sorry. What if she had actually been serving them cocktails? People are weird man.

I would generally agree. A woman stupid enough to post she was serving alcohol to kids might be stupid enough to do more ... but really, I do not think it should be an issue. The teachers, the friends and neighbors will notice this stuff before Facebook...

I would generally agree. A woman stupid enough to post she was serving alcohol to kids might be stupid enough to do more ... but really, I do not think it should be an issue. The teachers, the friends and neighbors will notice this stuff before Facebook...

Well the person that rated her from Facebook was most likely a friend.

Oh and don't get me wrong she sounds like a great mother having some great fun with the kids but once again you just never know people. For example my dad used to shoot me up with heroin just for kicks. I didn't get out of rehab until kindergarten.

Oh and the "that explains a lot" post in 3....2.....1......

Edited by Chef Jim

But she didn't say she was serving 'alcohol'. 'Cocktail' can also be used as a generic term for mixing.

This story is about nothing but reason #98,032 why social media sucks.

But she didn't say she was serving 'alcohol'. 'Cocktail' can also be used as a generic term for mixing.

Well I'm not going to get into whether social media sucks or not but I have never heard of a drink not containing alcohol referred to as a cocktail. And trust me I've done plenty of research and have plenty of cocktail books many with the history of the cocktail.

Once in a while my 8-year-old will pour my beer, and usually he'll then ask for a sip of my beer. I absolutely let him have 'A' sip. One night after a long day we're out a a restaurant for dinner, Iget my beer, take a sip, mumble about how good it tastes, and naturally my son asks for a sip, and naturally I'm saying yes.

Fortunately, my wife is there to keep the bar from getting shut down and our son hauled off to a foster family.

Once in a while my 8-year-old will pour my beer, and usually he'll then ask for a sip of my beer. I absolutely let him have 'A' sip. One night after a long day we're out a a restaurant for dinner, Iget my beer, take a sip, mumble about how good it tastes, and naturally my son asks for a sip, and naturally I'm saying yes.

Fortunately, my wife is there to keep the bar from getting shut down and our son hauled off to a foster family.

He should learn to get his own damn beer

We always got the cherry in our parent's Manhattans when we went out to dinner. Got a nice little buzz off those.

Just to be safe... Can you list your name and address. Can never be too safe! Some people want to visit you.

;-) ;-)

We always got the cherry in our parent's Manhattans when we went out to dinner. Got a nice little buzz off those.

And nobody narced your parents out! Oh the rage!

:-P :-P

Well I'm not going to get into whether social media sucks or not but I have never heard of a drink not containing alcohol referred to as a cocktail. And trust me I've done plenty of research and have plenty of cocktail books many with the history of the cocktail.

Ocean Spray sells a line of Cranberry "Cocktails", plus a lot of juices are named "<insert fruit here> cocktail" when they are a mixture of additional juices to the main juice.............

molotov

Ocean Spray sells a line of Cranberry "Cocktails", plus a lot of juices are named "<insert fruit here> cocktail" when they are a mixture of additional juices to the main juice.............

That is a marketing ploy by Ocean Spray. A cocktail is a drink that contains at least one spirit and at least two other ingredients often times mixing bitter with sweet. A martini is not a cocktail because it only contains gin and vermouth whereas a Manhattan is a cocktail because it contains whiskey, sweet vermouth and bitters.

molotov

If you think that a molotov cocktail does not include alcohol you're not drinking the right stuff. Oh that's right you're a beer drinker. :D

Better safe than sorry. What if she had actually been serving them cocktails? People are weird man.

If it is a friend seeing it on Facebook what about the age old practice of asking about it in a real conversation before calling the cops?

True... A "cocktail" doesn't have to have a spirit in it anymore. They can be virgin cocktails. The definition has evolved...

Not just Ocean Spray... Anything that is straight cranberry juice in drink form is a "cocktail"... Just like lemons and lemonade... It is not advisable to drink lemon juice or cranberry juice 100% straight up, for obvious reasons... Hence making "ade" or a cocktail (water and sugar or some other juice). So it has to be "ade" or "cocktail".

FWIW... Good Cranberry cocktail is about 27% cranberry juice and EVERY company calls it "cocktail." More than 27% and it is too strong/tart. I find that Simply Cranberry Cocktail is the best (Coca-Cola is Simply Company like Simply Orange, Lemonade, Cranberry Coctail, etc.. etc..).

Lemons, a bit lower %... Again for obvious reasons...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Also: FWIW... How do they get 100% juice NOT from concentrate to all taste the same across their product line you ask? Try squeezing your own orange juice say... It will taste wildly different depending how and what kind of oranges you juice/squeeze... How much rind gets caught up and what not...

They can get away with labeling only one ingredient on the bottle by doing this:

They squeeze the juice straight up and pasteurize it.... Heating kills all the flavor in the 100% juice... They then store it for up to around a year... When it is time sell it, they come in a add their trademarked flavor packet from say the oranges or cranberrys and then either sell it straight up or cut it with other stuff like sugar and water and make "ade" or "cocktail." They developed the flavor and protect the trademarked taste... Add that flavor and send it to market. In the 100% pure squeezed juices, they only use one ingredient: 100% NOT from concentrate juice (say orange, or cranberry @ 27% w/sugar and water)... They aren't taking the water out of it and making concentrate and then adding the water again... They can get by with calling it 100% fresh squeezed.

I always wondered how the taste does not vary by company. Tropicana: Pepsi. Simply/Minute Maid: Coca-Cola, Florida's Best, etc.. etc...

Other countries that get marketed w/the same product may taste different... So in Mexico, depending on their culture's taste for orange juice, 100% pure squeezed... A company like Simply, Tropicana, or Minute Maid will add different flavor paks...

If it is a friend seeing it on Facebook what about the age old practice of asking about it in a real conversation before calling the cops?

This.

True... A "cocktail" doesn't have to have a spirit in it anymore. They can be virgin cocktails. The definition has evolved...

Not just Ocean Spray... Anything that is straight cranberry juice in drink form is a "cocktail"... Just like lemons and lemonade... It is not advisable to drink lemon juice or cranberry juice 100% straight up, for obvious reasons... Hence making "ade" or a cocktail (water and sugar or some other juice). So it has to be "ade" or "cocktail".

FWIW... Good Cranberry cocktail is about 27% cranberry juice and EVERY company calls it "cocktail." More than 27% and it is too strong/tart. I find that Simply Cranberry Cocktail is the best (Coca-Cola is Simply Company like Simply Orange, Lemonade, Cranberry Coctail, etc.. etc..).

Lemons, a bit lower %... Again for obvious reasons...

Wrong. Because Madison Ave decides to call sometime a cocktail to make it more appealing and marketable does not mean it's a cocktail.

Just because a fishmonger decided to call a Patagonian Toothfish Chilean Sea Bass does not mean it's a sea bass

Edited by Chef Jim