I can't believe my eyes, these QB's actually throw spirals

The true test for EJ will be how well he can grasp the offensive concept, adapt to game time defensive looks, and lead his team to wins. there's no doubt about his physical ability, he's got everything you want in a franchise QB.

I'm going to disagree a little. The true test will be if he can apply the offense to the defense. Grasping the offensive concept at this juncture is a lot of memorization. That's why you hear players talking about going back to their rooms or working with a team mate on the cadence. Then the next level of offensive concept (what they're working on now) is applying those plays to the defense and understanding what the cause and effects are. Manuel has to show the coaching staff he's capable of doing that above Kolb to be the starter. That's why you heard Marrone say he's going to have to insert Manuel in those defensive situations Kolb has been in. "We're careful about what we're showing him and we have to get him in there where he's seeing more of the exotic things from the defense. (like Kolb is). EJ's in a good situation being able to watch Kolb in those situations, learn from it in the classroom, but we have to put him in those situatiions."

I'm going to disagree a little. The true test will be if he can apply the offense to the defense. Grasping the offensive concept at this juncture is a lot of memorization. That's why you hear players talking about going back to their rooms or working with a team mate on the cadence. Then the next level of offensive concept (what they're working on now) is applying those plays to the defense and understanding what the cause and effects are. Manuel has to show the coaching staff he's capable of doing that above Kolb to be the starter. That's why you heard Marrone say he's going to have to insert Manuel in those defensive situations Kolb has been in. "We're careful about what we're showing him and we have to get him in there where he's seeing more of the exotic things from the defense. (like Kolb is). EJ's in a good situation being able to watch Kolb in those situations, learn from it in the classroom, but we have to put him in those situatiions."

one of the more insightful quotes out there - i appreciate you bringing it to the discussion. i tend to skip over pouring through every possible camp report and PCs and silly clips and try to get highlights here and i dont think that quotes been mentioned (atleast that ive seen).

one of the more insightful quotes out there - i appreciate you bringing it to the discussion. i tend to skip over pouring through every possible camp report and PCs and silly clips and try to get highlights here and i dont think that quotes been mentioned (atleast that ive seen).

Thank you for the compliment Saint. Here's the video where Marrone discussed it briefly. It starts at the 13:39 mark. http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Doug_Marrone_on_Mario_Williams_Injury/d6e7b59c-1944-49af-beb6-d6b3b0c3c0aa

And this is what I was alluding to earlier in the week when I referenced Marrone as an "evil genius" because he's carefully working towards the result he wants -- namely, EJ starting immediately. Let Kolb get his ass kicked a bit while EJ gets comfortable.

And this is what I was alluding to earlier in the week when I referenced Marrone as an "evil genius" because he's carefully working towards the result he wants -- namely, EJ starting immediately. Let Kolb get his ass kicked a bit while EJ gets comfortable.

Yeah I liked your characterization of the process.

I suppose this sort of thing has been done before but I've certainly never heard it articulated before.

It's an interesting idea, challenging the veteran player with greater complexity while letting the younger player witness the results.

watch some of his college tape. He has that ability

I also like from his college tape that when he does run to avoid sacks it is usually to make a throw from outside of the pocket instead of actually running. But, he certainly show run ability, too, in his college tape.

Marlin Briscoe threw a beautiful tight spiral when filling in for the injured Joe Ferguson.

It was so tight, he could throw it then run down field and catch it himself!

I get your attempt at humor, but those guys did not play for the Bills at the same time.

Edited by chris heff

That's actually one of the first things I noticed too when watching the practice videos. Manuel especially throws a really nice spiral down the field. I know it doesn't mean that much in grand scheme of things but its still nice to see after the last few years of wobbling footballs from our QBs.

Hmm. Consider: what happens when the wind starts becoming a major factor from late October(sometimes late September) on? For me, the biggest thing about watching EJ throw effortless downfield pass after effortless downfield pass, day after day?

I know I ain't the only person seeing that. :devil:

The opposing coaches in our division are seeing it too. Or, at the very least their film guys are. We can talk and talk, but seeing it consistently, day after day? That has to make an impression.

Sooner or later, they have to think: "this guy can put one up on us at any time, because he keeps doing it...all the time".

Then, include the Sean Payton-->Doug Marrone "no tendency" approach to offense, which means any play can be called, on any down and distance. Add those two things together. Then, add the Ralph, and the wind, and us fans, and the hell we bring....

Now it's: "Jesus. This guy could be putting one up on us on 3rd and 1 from their 23 yard line, in 30 mph wind, bring the house down around our ears, and create havoc for us for the entire game!". :o Thus, the defense changes, because it has to.

Suddenly? Yeah, a consistent tight spiral matters a whole lot.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this. I think that he is only giving each man what he thinks they can handle and will factor degree of difficulty that into the equation when determining who to start. If Marrone is really dealing so duplicitously with his players as you imply then he is going to lose a lot of respect in the locker room.

Rob Johnson threw tight spirals on those rare occasions where he wasn't actually sacked. A lot of them were to defensive backs..but they were tight....

RJ didn't throw a lot of picks TBH. He actually holds the franchise record for Int%. Yes, he was terrible, but wasn't a pick machine.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-passing.htm

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this. I think that he is only giving each man what he thinks they can handle and will factor degree of difficulty that into the equation when determining who to start. If Marrone is really dealing so duplicitously with his players as you imply then he is going to lose a lot of respect in the locker room.

Marrone publicly stated that he was doing this. He's been transparent about blitzing Kolb more and EJ less.What duplicity are you talking about?

eball never talked about a hidden agenda.

RJ didn't throw a lot of picks TBH. He actually holds the franchise record for Int%. Yes, he was terrible, but wasn't a pick machine.

http://www.pro-footb...eer-passing.htm

Int machine? No.

But he is the most-sacked QB per pass attempt in NFL history.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

On the other side: see P. Manning. Lobs up ducks all the time and they're almost always perfectly catchable.

Lol they were showing Peyton throw when I saw this... No ducks.

Don't forget everyone of Fitz long passes were like that. Noodle arms be damned.

Edited by BuffaloFood