The Destruction of North Carolina

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, that's the difference. As a lib you have friends and can afford to have them living the high life. As cons we are too bitter and tight with our money to afford friends.

whatever happened to the politics of envy or lack thereof?

my point was that envy is frequently invoked here as the motivation behind liberal positions.

I understand. Which is why I mocked your humor.

The interesting direction this could take, as with any action, what are political motivations to the common man? Because in reality it is no different then being a fan of a team or celebrity.

I understand. Which is why I mocked your humor.

The interesting direction this could take, as with any action, what are political motivations to the common man? Because in reality it is no different then being a fan of a team or celebrity.

it's very different. people cheer for teams out of regional affiliation mostly. sometimes nostalgia (which is true for me in the case of the bills). rarely out of true self interest (unless they or a family member plays on a team). people often vote out of self interest. except when they don't which is a significant minority of the time but still important. and i think it happens in both conservative and liberal voters but in general i think it's fair to say that most conservative voters vote for candidates that will generally advance their interests or art least they think that they will. i think a higher percentage of liberal voters don't. no, i can't prove either statement. they're based on observation alone.

it's very different. people cheer for teams out of regional affiliation mostly. sometimes nostalgia (which is true for me in the case of the bills). rarely out of true self interest (unless they or a family member plays on a team). people often vote out of self interest. except when they don't which is a significant minority of the time but still important. and i think it happens in both conservative and liberal voters but in general i think it's fair to say that most conservative voters vote for candidates that will generally advance their interests or art least they think that they will. i think a higher percentage of liberal voters don't. no, i can't prove either statement. they're based on observation alone.

Most people, I'd be willing to bet 90%, do not understand their "self interest" or sell it short and side with the elephant or the donkey.

• 5 months later...

You need to get out more.

Indeed. Here in Austin you can tell how liberal a fellow motorist is by counting the number of causes posted on the rear end of their vehicle. Conservatives usually max out at two, and they're usually campaign stickers.

I do see a lot of NRA license plate holders though.

Indeed. Here in Austin you can tell how liberal a fellow motorist is by counting the number of causes posted on the rear end of their vehicle. Conservatives usually max out at two, and they're usually campaign stickers.

I do see a lot of NRA license plate holders though.

I saw a bunch of tree hugger type stickers on a beater spewing all sorts of blue smoke from its tailpipe.

I'm almost afraid to ask....

Oh. Its just a meme the democrats have going around. There are a lot here that are real cute and make you not like McCrory. He is getting blamed for everything starting back to the lack of wind at Wrightsville Beach.

• 1 year later...

Round 2. Fight!

1) http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/24/us/north-carolina-to-limit-bathroom-use-by-birth-gender.html

North Carolina legislators, in a whirlwind special session on Wednesday, passed a wide-ranging bill barring transgender people from bathrooms and locker rooms that do not match the gender on their birth certificates.

Republicans unanimously supported the bill, while in the Senate, Democrats walked out in protest. “This is a direct affront to equality, civil rights and local autonomy,” the Senate Democratic leader, Dan Blue, said in a statement.

North Carolina’s governor, Pat McCrory, a Republican, signed the bill late Wednesday night.

The session, which was abruptly convened by Republican lawmakers on Tuesday, came in response to an antidiscrimination ordinance approved by the state’s largest city, Charlotte, last month. That ordinance provided protections based on sexual orientation, gender expression and gender identity, including letting transgender people use the public bathrooms that correspond with their gender identity, not gender at birth.

It is not making major news here in NC and is majorly supported yet misrepresented by even the local press. This law dignifies that men are men and women are women. This law allow is rather silly but it's going to embroil the state in heavy legal battles for the foreseeable future.

2) http://myfox8.com/2016/03/23/speeding-enforcement-crackdown-in-nc-to-target-anyone-going-above-posted-limit/

RALEIGH, N.C. -- How fast can you go on the highway without getting the attention of police? Anything under 10 miles per hour over the speed limit is okay, right?

Well, WTVD reported that the North Carolina Department of Transportation is ready to burst the bubble on the widely believed 9 mph cushion myth.

The governor's highway safety program is ramping up what's being called "Obey the Sign or Pay the Fine" speeding enforcement crackdown.

McCrory is going to get 100% of the blame against this - which goes to #3 in a moment. This is entirely political and on the way home I saw two troopers pull over vehicles and even a sheriffs deputy on the way to work this morning. The car in front of me was probably going 57-58 in the 55. I was probably not much slower. She was about 1/2 mile in front of me - had been for some time and a trooper crossed the grass in the median to pull her. Everyone was literally between 53-56 for the entire 12 mile drive down Business 85. Sheriff's deputies never pull anyone over here, traditionally, but all law enforcement is in on this. Seems odd in an election year coming toward a huge election for the future of NC that this is happening... because.

3) McCrory facing long time State Attorney General Roy Cooper

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-north-carolina-governor-mccrory-vs-cooper

This state has been Democratic for almost its entire existence. Since 1828 when the first Democrat was elected, after many Democratic-Republicans and Federalist Governors...

There have been 38 Democratic Governors serving 125 years of 187 total years of existence. Until 2010 the Democrats had controlled the NC Senate since 1898. That's 112 years.
This state has been one sided and it goes down as deep as can be; though, granted a North Carolina Democrat is a lot more right sided, conservative than a NY Democrat - but they're still liberal and trending even more so every year.
North Carolina is getting a lot of attention on the political stage behind the curtains funding anything to bring down Republicans. It's ridiculous.
Edited by Boyst62