Bausch & Lomb moving out of Rochester

The good thing is this:

"In a separate statement, City Council President and mayoral candidate Lovely Warren said: “Of course we are saddened by the news that Valeant decided to move or consolidate the headquarters in New Jersey. But I think that the silver lining is the fact they are going to leave their manufacturing facility here in Rochester. That is important for the families that rely on Bausch + Lomb.”

Rochester Business Alliance president and CEO Sandy Parker echoed their views.

“There is no question that the moving of Bausch + Lomb corporate headquarters out of Rochester and the corresponding loss of jobs will have a significant impact on the region. However, it is encouraging that contact lens manufacturing is slated to remain here,” Parker said."

But... In the end, HQ moves and so will the rest... Hope not.

Xerox did the same thing many moons ago - moving their HQ to Stamford CT.

That's many moons ago; I had a summer internship at Xerox in Stamford. That building has beautiful grounds -- wedding parties frequently stop there for pictures.

Luckily we can still count on Kodak's unwavering commitment to Rochester.

I don't doubt their commitment. I do doubt their ability to function.

That's many moons ago; I had a summer internship at Xerox in Stamford. That building has beautiful grounds -- wedding parties frequently stop there for pictures.

I guess I'm out of the loop - it was since moved from Stamford to Norwalk CT in 2007.

On what grounds?

That they totally screwed the pooch with their inability or unwillingness to embrace the digital future of photography until it was way too late. Their reliance on suing other people for patent infringement to keep the company afloat. Their continual pattern of "diversification" followed by "concentrating on core business". No, this is not a particularly Kodak thing but I think they've made it an art form.

That they totally screwed the pooch with their inability or unwillingness to embrace the digital future of photography until it was way too late. Their reliance on suing other people for patent infringement to keep the company afloat. Their continual pattern of "diversification" followed by "concentrating on core business". No, this is not a particularly Kodak thing but I think they've made it an art form.

I think if Kodak had missed the boat, as you claim, such that they are no longer a meaningful employer to the Rochester area, had filed for bankruptcy protection, and was relying on selling a portfolio of patents and other intangibles in order to offset the bleeding from their commercial printing operations or some such nonsense, I would have heard by now.

Edited by Jauronimo

I think if Kodak had missed the boat, as you claim, such that they are no longer a meaningful employer to the Rochester area, had filed for bankruptcy protection, and was relying on selling a portfolio of patents and other intangibles in order to offset the bleeding from their commercial printing operations or some such nonsense, I would have heard by now.

I'm starting to sense the sarcasm now.

Wedding parties frequently stop at the Ralph for pictures. I guess the grounds are beautiful also!