Torn rotator cuff--Question for those who have had it

HI Guys,

So I was in net for my soccer game on Thursday and dove to my left to make a save.

I landed on my outstretched shoulder and heard/felt a “pop” I had a sharp pain shoot down my arm.

I went to the doctors the next day who said it was a tear but needed an x-ray and ultrasound to determine if it was only a small tear(sprain) or a complete tear that would need surgery.

I can now lift my arm up to my shoulder in all directions when I could not on Friday.

Is this a sign that I may not need surgery as I am constantly gaining more movement back in my shoulder?

I really hope I don’t need surgery and hope that someone here could share past experience or knowledge regarding this issue.

Thanks everyone!

I used to have a wicked arm (could throw a nice football and baseball...far and fast). In college I worked at a stone quarry and had to climb on top of a blacktop truck. When I was taking a step down, my boot slipped and my glove got caught on the canopy/cover lever. My body fell but my right arm stayed put (the weight of my body pulled my shoulder out of socket). They said I dislocated it and had a tear. I was in a sling for two weeks. I never treated again for it but for the next ten years, I found my arm would "give out" when throwing a ball so I held back some. Nowadays (43 yrs old) I actually think it healed over time but I never had the same flexion/rotation as did before it happened. So I guess if it's a partial tear, you're gonna be fine without the surgery (unless you are planning on a career in the CFL).

I had a torn rotator cuff (& suspected torn labrum) & the ortho (surgeon) recommended surgery. I'll interject that it was caused from Vball; possibly I did something to initially damage it, & I continued playing & it got progressively worse. Anyway, surgeon said recovery time was anywhere from 6wks to 4 months depending on what they found & what the ended up doing.

From what I researched, all but the most severe tears will heal themselves, just not perhaps as efficaciously as surgery.

Considering some of the horror stories I know of from surgery (granted, mostly knees), I really didn't want to have surgery, especially when likely an equivalently long rest would likely solve the problem. Anyway, 6 weeks, no Vball then a few months of "babying it". It was fine.

I'll add however, that a couple years later now, I'm starting to have discomfort again & am limiting myself to about 2x/wk. Whether it's related to the previous injury or new wear & tear, IDK. Regardless, I did have ~2 yrs of painfree, full performance from it. Prolly need to take another break for awhile soon & all will be well again. Sucks to be old.

Had the injury and the surgery in 2005. Most painful recovery ever! I had a nerve block for the surgery and after felt OK, no big deal etc. until the block wore off. Then I thought I was going to go crazy with the pain. If you need the surgery get it because it won't heal by itself and will be trouble going forward. If you get a nerve block get on the pain meds immediately. That was my mistake. Hope you have a good recliner chair because you likely won't be able to lie down right away Post surgery Physical Therapy is not the most fun I've ever had but very necessary. When I said it was THE most painful surgery/recovery I'm comparing it to a total knee replacement and a bad Achilles tear. Both were bad but not as bad as the shoulder.

I could write a book on shoulder surgeries. I've had five. Three on the left and two on the right. The last one was a total joint replacement.

The short answer is follow your Doc's advice. You can probably get away with not having it but be aware that ten years down the road it will likely start stiffening up and hurting and that won't get better by itself. Then you're looking at managing pain with NSAIDs at that point.

If you don't like your Dr. Get another. Go to someone who has a lot of numbers under their belt.

I've been having some problems with my shoulder as of late as well. I was a baseball pitcher in high school but didn't have any major injuries. I've been playing slow pitch softball for about 6-7 years and just this year I've been having a constant pain in my throwing shoulder. The majority of the pain feels like it's under my clavicle, usually when I'm swinging and throwing but occasionally i'll get a quick pain towards the back of my joint. Over the past few weeks I've noticed a decrease in my hitting power as well. I'm hoping I just tweaked something but if it gets worse I think I'll have to get it checked out.

I've been having some problems with my shoulder as of late as well. I was a baseball pitcher in high school but didn't have any major injuries. I've been playing slow pitch softball for about 6-7 years and just this year I've been having a constant pain in my throwing shoulder. The majority of the pain feels like it's under my clavicle, usually when I'm swinging and throwing but occasionally i'll get a quick pain towards the back of my joint. Over the past few weeks I've noticed a decrease in my hitting power as well. I'm hoping I just tweaked something but if it gets worse I think I'll have to get it checked out.

Don't use your right hand so much :nana: