Meanwhile in the rest of the world

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never wrap my head around people knocking Obama, or any president for that matter, over foreign nonsense when we aren't having a war with said nonsense.

Well, SOB, try turning off all the distractions and concentrate a little harder.

That "foreign nonsense" certainly does affect us in today's world.

where was this hypocritical line of "thought" (generous) about foreign policy when "other presidents" were in office ?

I will never wrap my head around people knocking Obama, or any president for that matter, over foreign nonsense when we aren't having a war with said nonsense.

I don't knock him for foreign nonsense. I knock him for having absolutely no sane, sound, or lucid policy towards foreign nonsense.

I don't knock him for foreign nonsense. I knock him for having absolutely no sane, sound, or lucid policy towards foreign nonsense.

Then you haven't been paying attention. He has a terrific plan.

Step 1. See what France wants to do.

Step 2. Cut a hole in the box.

Egypt is a crazy place. They threw their dictator out and now a bunch of different aspects of society are trying to create democracy and also dominate that democracy at the same time. They have no real strong leader. Their country is in the toilet...what the hell are you talking about? We need a policy towards this? Good luck, we wish you the best, democracy is a good idea, now get on with all unavoidable nonsense given the situation there and hopefully in the end it works out. If it doesn't? Well...then so be it, who really cares. If the military goes insane that's obviously a problem but beyond that...just not seeing how Egypt is an Obama failure. Sign of the "blame of Obama" mentality that most non-Obama-haters see as childish. Blame Obama for Obama...don't blame him for Egypt.

A coherent foreign policy is ALWAYS important;

The Korean War and the Incoherence of U.S. Foreign Policy

By Mario Loyola

FTA:

If you want to demonstrate how difficult it is for a democratic government to conduct a stratetic foreign policy, the Korean War is the textbook case. Back in 2010, on the 60th anniversary of the start of the war, I wrote a piece for NRO (“Echoes of Korea“) arguing that the lack of foresight in U.S. policy made the Korean War inevitable. Because we couldn’t agree to defend Korea before the war, we had to fight a war to defend it. Then, because we couldn’t agree on what our aims were, we fought without strategic purpose and had to settle for an inconclusive armistice.

Sure, today we have a happy, strong, and prosperous South Korea. But with a strategic foreign policy the U.S. could have achieved the same result — or better — without firing a shot.

The key mistake was the decision to withdraw U.S. forces from South Korea in the two years before the Korean War started. Someone in the Truman administration should have realized that this decision made a North Korean invasion almost inevitable, and that a decision to defend the South after that would only maximize the loss of American lives and minimize the prospects for a favorable outcome. It made no sense to defend the South after an invasion that we could have prevented in the first place simply by making our intentions clear and leaving our troops in place. The decision facing Truman in 1948 should have been simple: either commit to defending South Korea and leave the garrison in place, or leave the South to its own devices and withdraw the garrison. Withdrawing the garrison while retaining some vague commitment to defending South Korea made absolutely no sense. In Shield of the Republic (1942), Walter Lippmann railed agaisnt the U.S. habit of making commitments abroad that exceeded the assets it had to back them up — what he called a bankrupt foreign policy. He was right, and we made exactly the same mistake in Korea.

Today we honor the nearly 45,000 Americans who lost their lives fighting “for democracy.” But the real reason they died was the Truman administration’s failure to devise a coherent national-security strategy fast enough after the end of World War

Edited by B-Man

Egypt is a crazy place. They threw their dictator out and now a bunch of different aspects of society are trying to create democracy and also dominate that democracy at the same time. They have no real strong leader. Their country is in the toilet...what the hell are you talking about? We need a policy towards this? Good luck, we wish you the best, democracy is a good idea, now get on with all unavoidable nonsense given the situation there and hopefully in the end it works out. If it doesn't? Well...then so be it, who really cares. If the military goes insane that's obviously a problem but beyond that...just not seeing how Egypt is an Obama failure. Sign of the "blame of Obama" mentality that most non-Obama-haters see as childish. Blame Obama for Obama...don't blame him for Egypt.

I didn't say Egypt is Obama's failure. I said his lack of any sort of consistent foreign policy towards Egypt is his failure.

Because when foreign countries are in turmoil, it's usually good to have a policy concerning such.

I didn't say Egypt is Obama's failure. I said his lack of any sort of consistent foreign policy towards Egypt is his failure.

Because when foreign countries are in turmoil, it's usually good to have a policy concerning such.

What would be an example of this, towards Egypt, right now.

Then you haven't been paying attention. He has a terrific plan.

Step 1. See what France wants to do.

Step 2. Cut a hole in the box.

:lol:

(oops, sorry...didn't mean to laugh in here...forgot which board I was on for a minute...won't happen again)