Oops, sorry. (#2)

Vinton County Woman Wants Possessions Back After Bank Tried To Repossess Wrong House

MCARTHUR, Ohio - An Vinton County woman is looking to get her belongings back after a bank incorrectly broke into her house and took them. Katie Barnett says that the First National Bank in Wellston foreclosed on her house, even though it was not her bank. "They repossessed my house on accident, thinking it was the house across the street,” Barnett said. Barnett, who had been away from the house for about two weeks, said she had to crawl through the window of her own house in order to get in after she used her own key that did not work.

She presented him with an $18,000 estimate to replace the losses, but the president refused to pay. “He got very firm with me and said, ‘We’re not paying you retail here, that’s just the way it is,’” Barnett said. “I did not tell them to come in my house and make me an offer. They took my stuff and I want it back.” The shock of having her house broken into and belongings taken by mistake has now turned into anger. “Now, I’m just angry,” Barnett said. “It wouldn’t be a big deal if they would step up and say ‘I’m sorry, we will replace your stuff.’ Instead, I’m getting attitude from them. They’re sarcastic when they talk to me. They make it sound like I’m trying to rip the bank off. All I want is my stuff back.”

I wonder what the bank president's reaction will be after she's awarded treble damages for gross negligence (assuming it's allowable under OH law) as well as punitive damages following a fun media-friendly jury trial.

Update....

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/07/26/wellston-bank-issues-statement-about-home-it-wrongfully-foreclosed-upon-balks-at-paying-up.html

"(They) demanded that I had receipts for all my stuff that they threw away," Barnett said. "And I said, 'Well, you know first of all, I don't have receipts for all of my stuff. I wasn't expected a bank to come and to accidently repossess my house and throw it all away. And second, if I did, where do you think it would be? In my house with all my belongings?"

The homeowner said that one of the most expensive items she lost was a Bowflex home gym. "And then they called me saying they found a Bowflex on the side of the road if I wanted it. I said no. You know my Bowflex was a Bowflex Ultimate. We paid, like, $2,300 for it; had all the attachments and the feet pieces and stuff. You know I said no, I want it replaced. I don't want you know trash found on the side of the road" Barnett said.

A similar story in Las Vegas from early 2010:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jan/02/they-forclosed-wrong-house/

It all appears to add up to a solid lawsuit for Mauck, and she has a law that took effect Oct. 1 that will work in her favor.

Under the state’s old law for a case like hers, aggrieved homeowners could collect triple the amount of damages only for the real estate — for the loss of the property if it was sold out from under the real owner or for loss of use of the property if the real owner was locked out, or if the building itself was damaged, for example.

The change allows for triple damages for personal property. So Mauck could be awarded three times the value of what was removed from her condo.

I hope Ohio law is at least as favorable to the homeowner.

I wonder what the bank president's reaction will be after she's awarded treble damages for gross negligence (assuming it's allowable under OH law) as well as punitive damages following a fun media-friendly jury trial.

I rarely grab the pitchfork in these situations but this is crazy. She should sue the bank for way more than her possessions....especially considering how poorly they've responded to their own mistake.

Maybe she should get some friends and go over to one of their bank offices and start removing furniture from the building. She could have a nice bon fire in their parking lot and call it even.

Like the guy that foreclosed a BoA branch a couple years ago....

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/bank-america-florida-foreclosed-angry-homeowner-bofa/story?id=13775638

Two....this guy should have cut her a check for 19K on the spot. The extra 1K is for getting off easy.

That's what really amazes me. When you !@#$ up, own it and fix it, as best you can. 'Cause it only gets worse.

That's what really amazes me. When you !@#$ up, own it and fix it, as best you can. 'Cause it only gets worse.

I've heard of insurance companies requiring professionals, such as doctors, who screw up to admit it and write a letter to apologize. Seems that placating people with an apology/acknowledgement of screwing up makes them less likely to sue the poop out of you than being an arrogant asshat like this bank president.