Sacha Baron Cohen drops out of Freddy Mercury Bio-pic

The Poojer

Jeff Lynn belongs on the same page as Brian Wilson and Phil Spector.

Phil Spector belongs on his own page... I like ELO, but man, I despise the production work that Lynn does with other artists. It seems like, "hey, lets make a Jeff Lynn record, you can sing...."

Phil Spector belongs on his own page... I like ELO, but man, I despise the production work that Lynn does with other artists. It seems like, "hey, lets make a Jeff Lynn record, you can sing...."

Phil is definitely the better shot.

Hi folks, sorry to bump up am older topic but I am new to reading OTW. Just got bored reading the same Bills chatter every morning.

While reading this thread I need to know why everyone thinks SBC would be a great Freddy. In my mind I see SBC as a goofy over the top raunchy comedian. (Da Ali G show, Bruno, Borat). And I love him for that. But does he have any serious acting roles?

Or maybe my image of Freddie mercury is off. I see him as a dynamic stage persona. When off stage was he some kind of zany nut ball? (And yes I know he was gay, bit that never made me think he was similar to a Bruno character)

Thanks for he insight.

Hi folks, sorry to bump up am older topic but I am new to reading OTW. Just got bored reading the same Bills chatter every morning.

While reading this thread I need to know why everyone thinks SBC would be a great Freddy. In my mind I see SBC as a goofy over the top raunchy comedian. (Da Ali G show, Bruno, Borat). And I love him for that. But does he have any serious acting roles?

Or maybe my image of Freddie mercury is off. I see him as a dynamic stage persona. When off stage was he some kind of zany nut ball? (And yes I know he was gay, bit that never made me think he was similar to a Bruno character)

Thanks for he insight.

Hi, IslandBillsFan. Cohen is an actor and I'm sure he can play the part. He looks the part. Look at Jim Carrey and how well he pulled off Andy Kaufman. I thought he did a phenomenal job. And other comedic actors have done well with dramatic roles, too. I'm sure he'd do it justice as long as it didn't turn into a mud-dragging crusade.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for he insight.

I agree and it turns out so does Brian May, and that's why Sacha is out:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-may-reveals-why-sacha-baron-cohen-left-freddie-mercury-biopic-20131020?utm_source=dailynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Here's an idea. Let the guy rest in peace. Sorry you can't drag his name through the mud and have the personal satisfaction of dragging skeletons from his closet when he's no longer here to explain or defend his actions, Sacha.

May and Taylor aren't blocking this for more money. They're blocking it to save the legacy of their dear friend.

I commend them.

I'd love to see a biopic of Mercury. He is one of my favorite rock stars/vocalists of all time. My first live show was Queen. He was an inspiration.

If he wanted the world to know of all of his indiscretions, my guess is that he would have either told the world on his own terms - or given someone else explicit instructions. It's apparent he did neither.

This is a man who knew his death was imminent long before he passed. It's clear he died with the world knowing what he wanted the world to know.

That should be respected. Forever.

!@#$ you, Sacha Baron.

Edit: fixed a typo

alright brother!

i have no way to know who intended to do what with this flick, but you are right ...Freddy was one of the greatest front men of all time. i am so sorry i didn't get to see him n the 70s when the band was great.

Cohen certainly has the look to play Mercury.And he can do the quasi -campy personality as well. Im sure the height thing can be overcome just like when Tom Cruise played Jack Reacher.

Both involve almost a foot difference in height. Cruise did an amazing job.

I can understand May and company not wanting this to turn into some weird SBC project,however.--It could be damaging to Mercury's memory. There is a big generation of young people

who never saw him live or werent even around to understand the guys magic. The LIVE AID concert was one of the best rock performances we have seen.

• 1 month later...