On the cover of the Rollin' Stone...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It bothers me. It definitely paints him as a celeb and celebrates him. If we ignored excrement like him instead of giving him Dr. Hook's dream, maybe a few less of these nutjobs would follow through.

this

r1188cover-306x-1373925492.jpg

I care less about his air-brushed face being on the cover, than I do about the (air-brushed) story that accompanies it.

"Fell into Radical Islam" ? ? ?

oopsey-daisey..........................gosh if only that mean old America wasn't neglecting its kids, standing on the precipice of radicalism.

This is like TIME naming Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini it's Man of the Year in 1979 and plastering his face on their cover. Was that a "celebration" of Khomeini? The outrage was similar as I recall. I'll need to read the story to gain the context needed to pass judgement.

People can choose not to buy. But I still have a problem with glamorizing murders and terrorists.

I question the logic by which people decide that running a photo of your cover story on the cover of your magazine is "glamorizing".

I question the logic by which people decide that running a photo of your cover story on the cover of your magazine is "glamorizing".

Then allow me to revise my statement: I still have a problem with people giving a bunch of attention to killers and terrorists.

Then allow me to revise my statement: I still have a problem with people giving a bunch of attention to killers and terrorists.

Provided the attention is sensationalist and unconstructive, I agree.

And having not read the magazine article, I really can't judge - it can be a useful story in describing how a teenager turns to radical Islam, but probably not if it's written by that idiot Taibbi.

Since when has Rolling Stone ever made anyone a celebrity?

I suppose it's a matter of personal perception, but to me seeing that particular photograph on the cover of RS is like seeing that same pic on the cover of Tiger Beat or TV Guide. although they're not making a celebrity of him, it appears at first glance (which is how magazine covers are used to sell the magazine) as if they're going out of their way to portray him as someone deserving of our sympathy. I'm not saying that's right or wrong....that's just the way I see it.

I suppose it's a matter of personal perception, but to me seeing that particular photograph on the cover of RS is like seeing that same pic on the cover of Tiger Beat or TV Guide. although they're not making a celebrity of him, it appears at first glance (which is how magazine covers are used to sell the magazine) as if they're going out of their way to portray him as someone deserving of our sympathy. I'm not saying that's right or wrong....that's just the way I see it.

This was clearly the cheapest attempt possible at trying to be relevant again. Along with the other tragic victims, an innocent nine year old boy was blown to bits by this POS's bomb. There's no getting around how low RS was to give him the David Cassidy, dreamy cover boy treatment. People can try to do the mental gymnastics all they want, but it doesn't work here. It was a severely repulsive thing to do to the victims and families of the victims. RS ended up looking like a used up 60 year old meth-addicted street walker lifting her micro-mini dress on this one.

This was clearly the cheapest attempt possible at trying to be relevant again. Along with the other tragic victims, an innocent nine year old boy was blown to bits by this POS's bomb. There's no getting around how low RS was to give him the David Cassidy, dreamy cover boy treatment. People can try to do the mental gymnastics all they want, but it doesn't work here. It was a severely repulsive thing to do to the victims and families of the victims. RS ended up looking like a used up 60 year old meth-addicted street walker lifting her micro-mini dress on this one.

RS has looked like that for about 15 years.

There's a Dr. Hook song in there somewhere.

Getting a kick out of the music stars jumping in Rolling Stone's schitt about this. The only thing that really surprised me is that the article isn't love story written by Matt Taibbi.

But hey...everyone yell and scream and get upset and post it on FB and Twitter and all over the news because I'm sure that isn't what the magazine was expecting you to do.

Does anyone read this rag any more? I guess they realize it to so well played by them

ewe!!! Stop it

Provided the attention is sensationalist and unconstructive, I agree.

And having not read the magazine article, I really can't judge - it can be a useful story in describing how a teenager turns to radical Islam, but probably not if it's written by that idiot Taibbi.

the article is definitely... a bit forgiving.... to say the least. I did think it was atleast an interesting look into his past, even if it wasnt much in the way of harsh on him for his choices. im guessing mostly the author, but partially only knowing what happened to him and not what was going on in his head and decisions, especially once he decided to turn a corner on this. not a lot of it was groundbreaking content that we hadnt heard, but a few anecdotes.

i dont recall the same uproar when the NYT ran the exact same photo, with nearly the same "teen heartthrob turned terrorist" type of headline. there are a lot of stories to be told in a mess like this, including his and that of his friends that thought they knew him...

not holding it up as an award winning piece but it didnt really outrage me either. i kind of disconnected the info presented from the agenda of it though.

Edited by NoSaint

Does anyone read this rag any more? I guess they realize it to so well played by them

Only when Matt Taibbi writes something. He's a far-left progressive in a rock-n-foll magazine and whenever he writes some ridiculous social commentary that oozes progressive garbage, my FB timeline fills up with all my progressive friends shouting how Matt Taibbi has done it again.

It's a little like a Paul Krugman article. Most sane people know he's a phucking moron, but he has just enough followers to appear relevant.

RS has looked like that for about 15 years.

Way longer in some people opinion. They lost relevance when they moved from SF to NYC in 1977. But,early on in the hippy daze, They did have a voice. To some they spoke for an entire generation namely the Vietnam war kids. But Madison Ave took care of all of that decades ago. Starting with the silly perfume samples in between pages.

As for the question did RS ever make anyone famous? Laughably, and to a minor extent Dr. Hook and the medicine show. Their tune did put them on the cover but already the makeover had begun. Most major (and always British acts), were always reamed on their musical releases, tastes, stage shows, etc. back in the hey day. Today RS revers them as Gods,Not surprisingly many of those same musicians to this day have not forgotten. Now, these guys are simply pawns because RS knows putting their old wrinkled mugs on the cover now sells copies.

One writer I liked (mainly because for awhile he was a neighbor of mine) was Hunter S. Thompson. And RS paid dearly for every word they published of his. He knew it, they knew it. And Hunter won. He owned Werner.

Rolling Stone sucks.