Boy scouts: No fat-a$$ scouts allowed to go camping

“Teaching Scouts and Scouters how to live a sustainable life, which includes a healthy lifestyle, and the health of our participants are important goals of the jamboree,” he said.

Good for the Boy Scouts. At least someone is taking some personal responsibility.

My son just left on Saturday for the trip... The Council has been planning the contingent for over a year. Somebody mentioned many months ago how the BSA was setting a double standard and I disagreed... I mentioned how that if somebody w/a too big BMI would not be allowed to attend the Jamboree unless they got in shape?

What's the problem... How are they going to go zip lining through the canopy if they have a too large BMI? Rafting? Rock Climbing? Pretty simple, especially with the intense zip lining and canopy tour. The Summit is the BSA's 4th and newest High Adbenture Base... Get in shape! I did notice on the activity preferences that they do offer bird watching. For handicap scouts/venture scouts/staff/etc... ??

“Teaching Scouts and Scouters how to live a sustainable life, which includes a healthy lifestyle, and the health of our participants are important goals of the jamboree,” he said.

Good for the Boy Scouts. At least someone is taking some personal responsibility.

BINGO! I mentioned this almost a year ago when some of the gay lovers were crying about the BSA's ban on gays... I mentioned this whole BMI requirement. What? Now they hate fat asses. Boo hoo...

Hehe...I'm thinking of a fat-ass scout that got assigned to my patrol. The scoutmaster in that troop meant we weren't going to camp someplace close to the road. No. Only after a 10-20 mile march. Every time we went out, the fatass meant that we were always setting up our tents in the F'ing dark. And, rather than giving fatass the schit I wanted to, as the leader, I had to encourage him. :wallbash:

So...

I learned, and I'm glad for that experience. :lol: Didn't see that coming, did you?

Again... In the activity selection/preferences section of the registration they did offer all kinds of other less intense activities... I mentioned bird watching.

Why do people agree w/Abercrombie and not the Boy Scouts... Yeah... Send an overweight kid on the zip line! Same w/rollercoasters @ Cedar Point... You don't fit, you don't...

Maybe blame the insurance companies? LoL... But the canopy tour will be intense... Staying up in the trees for 2+ hours... 60 feet up... Try to get a fat azz down in a emergency...

Rafting will take place off site @ the New River Gorge... Same w/the technical climbing off site.

This is a non-issue... You don't want fat azzes in, tell them NO. Do not want fags, tell them NO.

Hehe...I'm thinking of a fat-ass scout that got assigned to my patrol. The scoutmaster in that troop meant we weren't going to camp someplace close to the road. No. Only after a 10-20 mile march. Every time we went out, the fatass meant that we were always setting up our tents in the F'ing dark. And, rather than giving fatass the schit I wanted to, as the leader, I had to encourage him. :wallbash:

So...

I learned, and I'm glad for that experience. :lol: Didn't see that coming, did you?

Now think of that scenario in a military enviro... Instead of setting up tents in the dark, your squad is now getting wiped off the planet.

Just read the piece. I am not really sure what is spin and what is not... We went through the process. It looks like some heavy BMI scouts COULD attend... JUST that the physical part would have to be verified and overridden by the Scout's physician. That is how I saw and read into the medical part. Scouts with big BMI's would be really scrutinzed... And verified... This is a high adventure Jamboree, I don't blame them...

I knew this thread was coming... Usual sources too...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Now think of that scenario in a military enviro... Instead of setting up tents in the dark, your squad is now getting wiped off the planet.

Just read the piece. I am not really sure what is spin and what is not... We went through the process. It looks like some heavy BMI scouts COULD attend... JUST that the physical part would have to be verified and overridden by the Scout's physician. That is how I saw and read into the medical part. Scouts with big BMI's would be really scrutinzed... And verified... This is a high adventure Jamboree, I don't blame them...

I knew this thread was coming... Usual sources too...

Do you hear that whooshing sound? Like something is flying...right over your head? I don't, but, I'm here. What's happening in Illinois?

I expect a lawsuit by the end of the week.

The Scout Oath used to say:

"...To keep myself physically FIT, mentally awake and morally straight."

Now it says:

"...To keep myself physically STRONG, mentally awake and morally straight."

What is wrong with the word fit?

Do you hear that whooshing sound? Like something is flying...right over your head? I don't, but, I'm here. What's happening in Illinois?

No. We went through the whole process. My son is in camp right now... His BMI was well within the range. Going through the process, I am sure I could have had a doctor sign off on him if he was a fat azz...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Here is what one person commented about. I agree totally with their take:

"I fully support what the scouts have done. They gave plenty of notice (years ahead of time) of the requirements so no one can complain that they did not know. Kids had plenty of time to get in shape before the jamboree so that they would be able to attend. They did not exclude anyone who was overweight (BMI 25-29.99), or even all those who qualify as obese (BMI 30+). They set an absolute BMI cutoff at a BMI of 40 and required a medical review for anyone with a BMI of 32 to 39.99. This range also allows for kids who may have higher than normal BMI due to their body type but are still physically fit. This seems more than reasonable to me, they do not want kids collapsing during activities at the jamboree. They do not want to take on liability issues should some morbidly obese kid overexert themselves and keel over dead. This type of scouting event is meant to be physically challenging for the scouts and making sure that the participants are able to safely handle this level of exertion is a prudent step to take.. If this serves as a wake-up call to some kids and their parents that they are going to be left out of things they want to do unless they get in shape, I do not see that as a bad thing. The requirements they set are not at all unreasonable."

I am getting the first texts rolling in from my son. This is gonna be "the most connected" Jambo ever... AT&T has been contracted to supply the whole place with WiFi too... BSA wants it all posted on social network and what not...

Anway... Son said he seen one really huge dude! LoL... There goes your BMI exception. Well, maybe not... One has got to be huge and short to be over 40.0... I can't imagine a kid age 11-18 (Scouts) or 13-21 (Venturer) being that huge!

Any parent whose kid has a BMI of 40+ should be charged with child abuse.

Yep. Something is definately wrong and need to seek medical attention and advice.

Anyway, the last part of the article is telling. These requirements have been in place for years now and some just didn't apply. Also a money factor. Even with the new base being within a 10 hour drive from most of the US Scout population, it isn't exactly one's cheapest option @ summer camp.

Well yeah, cause you know those kids are going to die early and any action in a sequence of events that later culminates in someone dying makes you a murderer.

Only because they've been profiled as "fat".