(OT) Airbus A380

zow2

Since posters here are all over the map with (OT) stuff, I offer up one about the Airbus A380. They just rolled out the prototype last week. Has anyone seen this monster? I'll link some pictures here. It's supposed to hold over 500 people and has two decks. The pics don't give it the proper scale but it dwarfs the 747 in size. They have to modify some airports in order to accept this plane on taxiways and at jet bridges.

I can be a nervous flyer. Even though it's very cool, I don't think I want to be on the maiden voyage.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/751309/M/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/753464/M/

The little vertical ad on the side has a picture of a 747 landing in st. maarten, I've been there and stood on teh beach, which is right accross the street from teh runway, it quite the site, but I found it a little uncomfortable to be right behind the runway(holy sand in the face).

Since posters here are all over the map with (OT) stuff, I offer up one about the Airbus A380.  They just rolled out the prototype last week. Has anyone seen this monster? I'll link some pictures here.  It's supposed to hold over 500 people and has two decks.  The pics don't give it the proper scale but it dwarfs the 747 in size.  They have to modify some airports in order to accept this plane on taxiways and at jet bridges. 

I can be a nervous flyer.  Even though it's very cool, I don't think I want to be on the maiden voyage.

202998[/snapback]

That plane's going to kill Boeing's commercial aviation business, too. Just like the 747 did to McDonnell-Douglas. Ultimately, they'll find a way to cram 800 people in it, and capture the short-haul high-volume Pacific Rim and Indian Ocean routes.

Boeing is slated to unveil a new superairliner in the near future. I hate the french, but Airbus is owned by england too, so I guess I have to accept it. Hate the frenchies, like the Brits.

It is a huge airliner, but I understand only large airlines could dream of buying due to enormous cost.

What a friggin waste. Another European failure, just like the Concorde. It's going to be too expensive to run unless they have the thing 3/4 full. And do you think that will happen?

The airline industry is all about flexibility of scheduling and cost. Very rarely is it about luxury or pure size.

Since posters here are all over the map with (OT) stuff, I offer up one about the Airbus A380.  They just rolled out the prototype last week. Has anyone seen this monster? I'll link some pictures here.  It's supposed to hold over 500 people and has two decks.  The pics don't give it the proper scale but it dwarfs the 747 in size.  They have to modify some airports in order to accept this plane on taxiways and at jet bridges. 

I can be a nervous flyer.  Even though it's very cool, I don't think I want to be on the maiden voyage.

202998[/snapback]

What a friggin waste. Another European failure, just like the Concorde. It's going to be too expensive to run unless they have the thing 3/4 full. And do you think that will happen?

The airline industry is all about flexibility of scheduling and cost. Very rarely is it about luxury or pure size.

203233[/snapback]

Concorde was not really a failure - it revitalised the French aviation industry with all its technical advances and that has been a major help to make Airbus such a successful corporation. The French exploited the knowledge they gained from the Concorde project very well (kind of like a loss-leader product in a supermarket but on a larger scale).

The British aircraft industry failed to exploit the new technology and pretty much died with concorde, with the exception of smaller companies and Rolls Royce (who make the engines for many planes).

There is plenty of demand for the bigger aircraft, Airbus already has plenty of sales set up.

Possibly the best run (mostly) French corporation there is.

Actually you are wrong. It will have the lowest cost per seat to operate in the industry. Airbus designed their planes to be profitable if they never carry a passenger. They were desiged with a lot of cargo space to maximize revenue for the airlines.

203233[/snapback]

203233[/snapback]

Maybe the US airline industry. In other places, it's about volume. There's a reason Japan uses 747s for inter-island hops: enough people fly the routes that as a practical matter, they can't use smaller planes. There's a limit to the frequency of takeoffs from a single runway (about a minute, I think), once you hit that limit, the only way to push more people through a given runway is to increase the size of the planes rather than the frequency of flights.

As far as I can tell, there is no real market for super-jumbos in the continental US routes; rather, there's a need for increased efficiency and decreased cost-of-operation that Boeing's 7E7 is intended to satisfy. But that doesn't mean the rest of the world necessarily shares the same needs. I wouldn't be surprised if JAL ultimately started buying A380s configured for 700 or 800 seats for their short-hop routes. That's how the 747 evolved...and the basic needs of the market haven't changed since then.