Dead Job Walking

ajzepp

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your job consists of herding around a bunch of animals who's entire existence amounts to: eat, sleep, **** on you, and try to kill you. So you're already perfectly qualified, jboyst.

Are you trying to recruit him for a job at an embassy in the Middle East?

So I just found out in a bit of a strange manner (newspaper got hold of a "leaked" power point slide) that my position at work now has an expiration date. I work on the largest account at my company, with over half the RNs working on this one account. So even though I haven't been officially notified (we have a mandatory meeting in the morning), apparently some time between tomorrow and Dec 31st I'm out of a job.

Anyone else ever been in that position? I'm sure I'll hear something more concrete tomorrow (hopefully), but my stomach sank when I read this and I'm feeling sort of odd.

Thoughts?

Accounts? Is that what they call patients now?

And your job consists of herding around a bunch of animals who's entire existence amounts to: eat, sleep, **** on you, and try to kill you. So you're already perfectly qualified, jboyst.

whose

Kelly pointed it out and called you an idiot.

• 2 weeks later...

Accounts? Is that what they call patients now?

Might as well be! I've felt since early on that taking front line medical people and putting them into a "corporate cubicle" is unnatural. I've felt them gradually trying to turn me into an information-harvesting robot, so in that sense I'm glad to be getting out.

I've actually gotten some really good news in the last few days. Two weeks ago I was contacted by a recruiter for a competitor and I've just finished up the (very drawn out) interview process. I was notified Friday that they're going to have an offer to me early this week, so I'm really excited. I'll actually get to use much more of my skill set and it's a company that I could potentially have a long tenure with.

Might as well be! I've felt since early on that taking front line medical people and putting them into a "corporate cubicle" is unnatural. I've felt them gradually trying to turn me into an information-harvesting robot, so in that sense I'm glad to be getting out.

I've actually gotten some really good news in the last few days. Two weeks ago I was contacted by a recruiter for a competitor and I've just finished up the (very drawn out) interview process. I was notified Friday that they're going to have an offer to me early this week, so I'm really excited. I'll actually get to use much more of my skill set and it's a company that I could potentially have a long tenure with.

Do you work on the phone?..............I just got an email today about online doctor appointments from Mt. St. Mary's Hospital...........I would love that. I usually will not get to a doctor when I should because I don't have the time - the time to sit in a waiting room, etc.

Do you work on the phone?..............I just got an email today about online doctor appointments from Mt. St. Mary's Hospital...........I would love that. I usually will not get to a doctor when I should because I don't have the time - the time to sit in a waiting room, etc.

Yeppers...I'm partially permanently disabled due to a back injury I sustained in the hospital, so right now I'm limited to jobs that keep me away from actual patient care. The one I'm interviewing for currently would be telephonic and I'd be takign inbound calls from members who had time sensitive needs/concerns or who were in crisis. In my last/current job, I worked mainly with those who had chronic issues such as Diabetes, COPD, CHF, CAD, etc and most of it was outbound. A lot of it was working to engage people to give a crap about their health, and that's the part of the job that became very inefficient, uncreative and just not much of a challenge. The new job would - theoretically - be much more satisfying and interesting. I also won't be tied to one particular account, so that will enhance my job stability and reduce the chances that I'll be in the position I'm in now.

I agree with you that it's very cool to see the ways that technology is being interfaced with healthcare. I have to give a lot of credit to the company I'm leaving, cause they are very innovative and will be a leader in developing new ways to interact with members/patients.

Holy moly! Will they still charge the co-pay for a doctor visit? Or will that be reduced/wiped out? Brick & mortar I guess is overhead!

What my mother taught me many years ago: Always schedule your doctor's appointment right AFTER lunch @ around 1 o'clock. Sometimes if I need lab/blood work... I know they start lunch @ noon, lab techs are more the grunts... The doc has the work ordered, they say come in when convienent, and I will sneak right in there @ 11:45 and they will hurry up to get the patients outta the way! It is only blood work, they will be all business before the noon break. No reason to chit chat like w/the doctor...

when do you take the stage for your first dance?

Start date is 10/14, so I'm gonna enjoy some football and relax a bit before hitting the ground running. Hopefully the Bills won't put me into a state of depression before starting the new gig!

Congrats AJ. I missed the part where you were out of work. Thought it was just impending.

Thanks :) Yeah, technically I'm still employed, I just have treated it as if I was already out of a job since the carpet could get pulled at any time. I was even considering going ahead and staying until the end of the year cause they were offering a retention bonus to those who agreed to do so. So I used that leverage to negotiate a sign-on bonus with the new company since I had such a strong interview. The whole thing was just very odd and in all honesty I've been clueless as to how I should approach the situation. I basically decided I'd rather take as much control over it as I could and not remain at the mercy of my employer...thankfully I landed on my feet.

Awesome! Congrats!

Thanks man!