Lions may release Harrington.

PIZ

Another occurence of the case that if you want a talent capable of being drafted in the 1st round of the NFL, rather than pay him a huge salary just wait and pick him up after he develops and is given up on by some other city.

For every RoboQB that can win as a freshman there are several Youngs, Farves, and Dilfers who can win you the big one for a manageable investment.  For every Harrington that looks like he is failing the team which picked and paid him through the nose, there is a Manning, Culpepper or McNabb who sticks with your team but they all have won (and even appeared in to this date) the same number of SBs.

203339[/snapback]

your nothing if not predictable. I saw you going here.

Peyton Manning

Donovan McNabb

Ben Rohtlisberger

Chad Pennington

Tom Brady

Mike Vick

Marc Bulger

Dontae Culpepper

Who exactly is in the playoffs and wasnt drafted by the team they are playing for?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ADs point wasn't that it's not the "sole" way of developing a QB. His contention (if I remember correctly from another thread) is that turning over the reigns to  young QB is more likely to damage his chances of success than it is to promote his success. As for your comments, I would bet that you would find a correlation between sacks and QB hits. Where to get this data, I have no idea. But I think your argument holds less water than my point does about his sack totals the past three years.  Fewer than ten sacks in each of his first two seasons (spanning 30 games) is hardly taking a beating. David Carr has been pounded like there's no tomorrow, yet he is becoming a solid NFL QB. I guess I feel that a QB is either going to be successful or not. How soon you play him will either speed up the time frame or delay it. But I do not feel that playing a QB early on takes what would have been an otherwise successful QB and "ruins" him.

203351[/snapback]

You need to reread this thread that was my only point of reference--I usually don't take notes on other threads...some on this board advocate that the only way to develop JP is throw him into the starter's role and that is the only way he will develop. I can't speak for AD's intent in his orginial post or his reply but I can tell you that my only meaning was that this is not the sole way to develop a QB and that a lot young QB's sans Big Ben and Harrington as you correctly point out during his first two years--tend to take a beating.

David Carr is a good but very extreme example of this. He has never QB'd a team to a winning record. Jax and Carolina were both playoff teams by their third year in the league...and Neither Mark Brunnell or Kerry Collins got sacked 75 times their first year...David Carr still has happy feet in the pocket...so different guys develop in different ways...I leave to our staff to figure out the best way to develop JP--not the unpaid QB coaches on this board...

You need to reread this thread that was my only point of reference--I usually don't take notes on other threads...some on this board advocate that the only way to develop JP is throw him into the starter's role and that is the only way he will develop. I can't speak for AD's intent in his orginial post or his reply but I can tell you that my only meaning was that this is not the sole way to develop a QB and that a lot young QB's sans Big Ben and Harrington as you correctly point out during his first two years--tend to take a beating. 

David Carr is a good but very extreme example of this.  He has never QB'd a team to a winning record.  Jax and Carolina were both playoff teams by their third year in the league...and Neither Mark Brunnell or Kerry Collins got sacked 75 times their first year...David Carr still has happy feet in the pocket...so different guys develop in different ways...I leave to our staff to figure out the best way to develop JP--not the unpaid QB coaches on this board...

203364[/snapback]

Well, aside from the fact that I don't feel Harrington took a beating in his first two years, I don't really disagree with you. I think there are definitely different ways to bring along a QB, and i agree that the coaches are in the best position to evaluate a given player's needs.

Another occurence of the case that if you want a talent capable of being drafted in the 1st round of the NFL, rather than pay him a huge salary just wait and pick him up after he develops and is given up on by some other city.

For every RoboQB that can win as a freshman there are several Youngs, Farves, and Dilfers who can win you the big one for a manageable investment.  For every Harrington that looks like he is failing the team which picked and paid him through the nose, there is a Manning, Culpepper or McNabb who sticks with your team but they all have won (and even appeared in to this date) the same number of SBs.

203339[/snapback]

Fake Fat, where U at?

Furthermore, How about the guys who DID swap teams, how did they fair?

Brett Favre

Jake Plummer

Matt Hasselbeck