Lions may release Harrington.

PIZ

We're probably in a better position than the Lions but the Steelers showed what the ultimate example should probably look like.

202978[/snapback]

it would be nice to have the #1 D in the NFL. and a dominant running game. and only ask your QB to throw 150 yards on 15 attempts.

and i think harrington is more proven than JP.

why not sign harrington to a low contract. have JP start, and bledose back up JP for a year. then we cut bledsoe after next season and start JP, with harrington as the backup.

if JP doesnt work out (which is possible), we could easaly move harrington in. no more signing HORRABLE QBs off the practice squad.... it would lead to QB contraversys, but so what. we would have a good, reliable CHEAP backup.

i dont see it happening, but it would be nice.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We're probably in a better position than the Lions but the Steelers showed what the ultimate example should probably look like.

202978[/snapback]

If we resign Pat Williams and draft/sign some O-line and TE help, I don't see how many teams are more suited to groom a young QB than we are (and be successful in the process).

i hate to rain on everyone's parade, but i just don't see the lions releasing him this soon......drew brees showed that some QB's develop slower then others and that it is not a good idea to give up on a guy to soon........i think harrington will develop as well, just requires more patience.......they've invested alot in him already, and they'd be foolish to dump him now......

i hate to rain on everyone's parade, but i just don't see the lions releasing him this soon......drew brees showed that some QB's develop slower then others and that it is not a good idea to give up on a guy to soon........i think harrington will develop as well, just requires more patience.......they've invested alot in him already, and they'd be foolish to dump him now......

203064[/snapback]

they have invested alot, but 10 mil. dollar cap hit is a BIG investment in a guy they dont want to sign to a long term deal.

they have invested alot, but 10 mil. dollar cap hit is a BIG investment in a guy they dont want to sign to a long term deal.

203073[/snapback]

"If Harrington were to play the 2005 season with the Lions, his salary cap number would be just under $10 million. The Lions can absorb that for this year and also make it easier for them to release Harrington next season (for a cap hit of less than $4 million).

If the Lions restructure Harrington's deal, however, and then want to cut him next year, the cap hit would be closer to $8 million."

they got some options there and they don't have to commit to him long term in order to do it........

You mean its not always a good idea for a young guy to get his brains beat in and think that he can't beat even the worst defenses?  Geez, who'd of thunk it?  Thanks AD...

202934[/snapback]

Why don't you go take a look at his sack totals the past few years and defend that......truth is, he's one of the least-sacked QBs in football. His Oline is one of the best in football.

Why don't you go take a look at his sack totals the past two years and defend that......truth is, he's one of the least-sacked QBs in football.  His Oline is one of the best in football.

203102[/snapback]

harrington throws the ball away, and sometimes throws to covered recievers. that may have something to do with his low sack totals. quick release. and rarely takes sacks. i wish bledsoe could do that.

harrington throws the ball away, and sometimes throws to covered recievers. that may have something to do with his low sack totals. quick release. and rarely takes sacks. i wish bledsoe could do that.

203119[/snapback]

>>>harrington throws the ball away, and sometimes throws to covered recievers<<<

You wish he would throw to covered receivers?

>>>harrington throws the ball away, and sometimes throws to covered recievers<<<

You wish he would throw to covered receivers?

203123[/snapback]

i ment to say:

harrington was taught to get rid of the ball. lowers his sacks, but also leads him to make throws that piss coaches off.

i always feel 2nd and 10 is better than 2nd and 18. or worse, a sack and fumble and a defensive TD... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

i also ment to say:

bledsoe could take some pointers from harrington in getting rid of the ball and lowering his sack totals.

i ment to say:

harrington was taught to get rid of the ball. lowers his sacks, but also leads him to make throws that piss coaches off.

i always feel 2nd and 10 is better than 2nd and 18. or worse, a sack and fumble and a defensive TD... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

i also ment to say:

bledsoe could take some pointers from harrington in getting rid of the ball and lowering his sack totals.

203151[/snapback]

Ok, relax. :)

PS: There are guys out there who could give Bledsoe pointers. Harrington is not one of them.

203119[/snapback]

From what saw of Harrington he was afraid. You could see it in the way he handled himself and the passes he threw . I agree with the above statement regarding how he threw to covered receivers, etc. It was not, however, a plus... it was a negative.. A quarterback that is perceived as somewhat of a coward cannot have the respect of his teamates.

OK, you all can enjoy this one at my expense.

Im sticking to my guns though. This guy is gonna be great someday.

Favre certainly proved that he can suck and, in the right situation, become a hall of famer!

I would cut Drew in a heartbeat and grab Harrington for a LOT less money.

BTW, Harrington had a better passers rating than Drew last year check it out!

Detroits defense is why they suck, if they had our D, Harrington would be leading them to the playoffs at least.

Yes, he is playing average ball right now, but Id rather have an average QB who could possibly win big games and has an upside, than an average QB who we KNOW loses big games and is on the decline.

JP is my first choice for the Bills, but I wouldnt mind adding a guy like Harrington for some competition at least.

Im sticking to my guns though. This guy is gonna be great someday.

Favre certainly proved that he can suck and, in the right situation, become a hall of famer!

I would cut Drew in a heartbeat and grab Harrington for a LOT less money.

BTW, Harrington had a better passers rating than Drew last year check it out!

Detroits defense is why they suck, if they had our D, Harrington would be leading them to the playoffs at least.

Yes, he is playing average ball right now, but Id rather have an average QB who could possibly win big games and has an upside, than an average QB who we KNOW loses big games and is on the decline.

JP is my first choice for the Bills, but I wouldnt mind adding a guy like Harrington for some competition at least.

203325[/snapback]

Thank you for that wildly controversial post

If they cut Harrington, someone will sign him and within 2 or 3 years he'll be starting and ripping up the league.

202861[/snapback]

Don't know about that. The other thing about abused rookie QBs is: once they get to the "deer in the headlights" stage, they don't often return from it. If Harrington is truly THAT screwed up, it may very well be for good.

203325[/snapback]

Another occurence of the case that if you want a talent capable of being drafted in the 1st round of the NFL, rather than pay him a huge salary just wait and pick him up after he develops and is given up on by some other city.

For every RoboQB that can win as a freshman there are several Youngs, Farves, and Dilfers who can win you the big one for a manageable investment. For every Harrington that looks like he is failing the team which picked and paid him through the nose, there is a Manning, Culpepper or McNabb who sticks with your team but they all have won (and even appeared in to this date) the same number of SBs.

Why don't you go take a look at his sack totals the past few years and defend that......truth is, he's one of the least-sacked QBs in football.  His Oline is one of the best in football.

203102[/snapback]

Sure, I'll defend it--Sacks aren't the only indication of how many times a QB gets hit the last I checked ajzepp, its just how many hits he takes when he happens to possess the ball-in Harrington's case he took 36 sacks this year...plus if you watched the Indy game on thanksgiving he was a ragdoll when he was in there--Drew took 37 sacks--not a lot of difference...-plus AD's original comment was that throwing a young highly drafted QB in there early may not be the sole way of developing his talent. I was agreeing with that assessment.

Do you think Eli Manning starts the year next year with a conviction that:

1) He has players around him who can help him win?

2) He has experienced great success against all types of NFL defenses?

Its really nice to say that true development only comes from facing live fire--but is that really the case...if so defend it...

Another occurence of the case that if you want a talent capable of being drafted in the 1st round of the NFL, rather than pay him a huge salary just wait and pick him up after he develops and is given up on by some other city.

For every RoboQB that can win as a freshman there are several Youngs, Farves, and Dilfers who can win you the big one for a manageable investment.  For every Harrington that looks like he is failing the team which picked and paid him through the nose, there is a Manning, Culpepper or McNabb who sticks with your team but they all have won (and even appeared in to this date) the same number of SBs.

203339[/snapback]

One of these things is not like the other.......

Sure, I'll defend it--Sacks aren't the only indication of how many times a QB gets hit the last I checked ajzepp, its just how many hits he takes when he happens to possess the ball-in Harrington's case he took 36 sacks this year...plus if you watched the Indy game on thanksgiving he was a ragdoll when he was in there--Drew took 37 sacks--not a lot of difference...-plus AD's original comment was that throwing a young highly drafted QB in there early may not be the sole way of developing his talent.  I was agreeing with that assessment.  Do you think Eli Manning starts the year next year with a conviction that:

1) He has players around him who can help him win?

2) He has experienced great success against all types of NFL defenses?

Its really nice to say that true development only comes from facing live fire--but is that really the case...if so defend it...

203344[/snapback]

ADs point wasn't that it's not the "sole" way of developing a QB. His contention (if I remember correctly from another thread) is that turning over the reigns to young QB is more likely to damage his chances of success than it is to promote his success. As for your comments, I would bet that you would find a correlation between sacks and QB hits. Where to get this data, I have no idea. But I think your argument holds less water than my point does about his sack totals the past three years. Fewer than ten sacks in each of his first two seasons (spanning 30 games) is hardly taking a beating. David Carr has been pounded like there's no tomorrow, yet he is becoming a solid NFL QB. I guess I feel that a QB is either going to be successful or not. How soon you play him will either speed up the time frame or delay it. But I do not feel that playing a QB early on takes what would have been an otherwise successful QB and "ruins" him.