How do you like them apples?

Beerball

At least there's an opposite (if not yet equal) reaction to how agri-business has dictated how/what we eat.

The heirloom/historic or heritage cultivar produce movement hopefully is picking up steam.

This heirloom movement seems also to be abetted somewhat by the organic and locovore movement.

Glad to see the "Red Delicious" off that list. That was IMHO the worst hybrid apple ever foisted upon the American public.

Personally, I like McCowans for eating. Hard to beat a Granny Smith for baking.

My supermarket actually has a decent variety of apples but it is an Asian one which typically carries a larger variety than the chain ones.

Worked in food cooperative when in college in Buffalo and we would occasionally get crates of different apples from suppliers.

I have eaten the Cox Orange and Newtown Pippins, Esopus Spitzenburg, Granny Smith, McIntosh (think it is sometimes spelled MacIntosh). Rome, Cortland, Redcort, Irish Peach, Braeburn, Gala, Pink Lady, Jazz, Fuji among others. Always wanted to try a Black Oxford.

And yes Delicious apples should be renamed Boring apples.

There was one type of apples in 80's which was not so good for eating, cider or baking but the apple was great for making dried apple rings.

Here is a good site on apple varieties:

http://www.orangepippin.com/apples

Glad to see the "Red Delicious" off that list. That was IMHO the worst hybrid apple ever foisted upon the American public.

Personally, I like McCowans for eating. Hard to beat a Granny Smith for baking.

I'm with ya on the red delicious. They're mealy even when they're not mealy if you know what I mean. I'm a big fan of the Granny Smith. Perfect for tart tatin, the easiest dessert in the world to make.

Yeah Red Delicious was definitely something foisted on a less-than-enthusiastic public.

The skin was typically thick and waxy, the bottom had those little lobes with not very much flesh.

If you like a sweet apple, Fuji's are quite excellent.

My wife get's Fuji's and has one every day. An apple a day keeps.....

I'm with ya on the red delicious. They're mealy even when they're not mealy if you know what I mean. I'm a big fan of the Granny Smith. Perfect for tart tatin, the easiest dessert in the world to make.

Do go on...easiest dessert in the world to make...

Do go on...easiest dessert in the world to make...

Take a saute pan and pour in sugar until it's at a depth of 3/4 to 1". Peel, core and quarter about 6 large granny smith apple and arrange them on the sugar overlapping them slightly. Place this on the stove and heat until the sugar starts to caramelize and bubble. Place a sheet of puff dough (I use Pepperidge Farms frozen puff dough) over the top and bake in a 350 degree oven until puff dough is browned. Let cool a bit but while still warm invert it on to a plate or tray. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Grafting is cool as hell. And it works on any plant or tree

Right now I have Meyers Lemon Trees, Key Lime Trees, and heirloom lemon tree that was Trapper Nelson's favorite- all growing inside my place. I plan on grafting all of them and have citrus trees in every window