Plane Crash in SF

Chef Jim

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an intern with the NTSB that verified the names, probably thought if someone was stupid enough to ask, they'd be stupid enough to broadcast...

http://www.reuters.c...E96C02220130713

Government employee + quick, original thinking + humor + putting the "press" in their place without being punitive or unfair = Fired + apology issued.

The funniest part of that report was when she was reading the names and she pronounced the "F word" as "fook."

Such a talented anchor.

I'm impressed she didn't bust out laughing. Only a complete drone would still be missing the joke by the time you get to Ho-Le-Fuk.

As for the intern, I'd give him a job sight unseen.

I'm impressed she didn't bust out laughing. Only a complete drone would still be missing the joke by the time you get to Ho-Le-Fuk.

As for the intern, I'd give him a job sight unseen.

$100k bonus just for coming up with "Bang ding ow"

"Complete drone" is pretty much the job description. Just read what's on the teleprompter, and show the appropriate facial expression when the director tells you.

Yes, I know...no political jokes, please...

It's not just that the lady was dumb enough not to know she was getting punked, but the fact that someone acutally made a slide with the names, and no one caught the joke during proof reading and just went with it on air is quite unbelievable to me. You mean to tell me there are people out there that don't know the "Cream of Sum Yung Gi" joke?

It's not just that the lady was dumb enough not to know she was getting punked, but the fact that someone acutally made a slide with the names, and no one caught the joke during proof reading and just went with it on air is quite unbelievable to me. You mean to tell me there are people out there that don't know the "Cream of Sum Yung Gi" joke?

Well, they did call the NTSB and get the names verified.....

by an intern who probably thought they were stupid for asking.

Which probably went something like this.

Station: Can you verify these names?

Intern: Uhhh....yeah. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

See the major eye roll didn't have any affect seeing it was done over the phone so the station going with it is completely understandable. :rolleyes:

First of all let me say that this whole thing is totally hilarious.

But on a serious note, here's the thing in a nutshell:

Two of the pilots names were released two days after the crash so about 5 days before this mistake was made.

THE MEDIA ALREADY HAD TWO OF THE PILOTS' NAMES FOR NEARLY ONE WEEK!!!

Then, the station called to get the names verified which begs the question "Who gave them the names in the first place?"

And another thing. It's not necessary for the news media to be conversant on surnames and which names belong to which cultures but exactly how stupid do you have to be to actually believe these names?

Finally, how many levels of accountability failed here? New Director, Producer, Assistant Producer, anchor, intern…

From a professional standpoint this was just as egregious an error as crashing the plane in that something like this should never happen. In each case, multiple people failed at their jobs.

Thank goodness no one was killed by this mistake (except hopefully a few careers).

The intern at the NTSB was fired but someone at KTVU should be fired too, just for being a freaking moron.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Surprise, surprise......NTSB rules it was pilot error.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/24/us/asiana-ntsb/index.html

"But the more complex automation becomes, the more challenging it is to ensure that the pilots adequately understand it,"

Just wait for automation to come to the roads, what do you think the average driver will do.

With technology may come decreased cognitive ability... It all started with the compass. I guess take the good with the bad and hope that things like this don't happen a lot. Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days!