Plane Crash in SF

Chef Jim

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have flown Asiana a few times in the past and this scares me. RIP and prayers to the dead and injured.

You are at more risk in your car on the highway. A silver lining from this event is that the investigators will learn the reasons for the crash and lessons will be applied making air travel even safer.

^^ this incident has pilot error written all over it. Which is interesting because usually the most senior experienced pilots fly widebodies on long routes due to higher pay, so these should be some of Asiania's better pilots....

A theory right now is that the ILS system was down and the on duty crew did not realize it. But they were landing VFR anyways so it seems they just misjudged the distance.

It will be interesting to see what happens as more info comes out.

I don't think heavy's like that often come VFR. IFR is more precise for busy airports. Who knows? A air China 747 once took of from ANC on a taxi way. Barely made it, clipped a snow bank.

You are at more risk in your car on the highway. A silver lining from this event is that the investigators will learn the reasons for the crash and lessons will be applied making air travel even safer.

The last US commercial fatal crash was the one in Clarence over 4 years ago.

If this is simply straight pilot error on a sunny day at a location he's likely landed 100 times before.... It'd be a bit like driving home and ending up driving into your living room. Based solely on that, im guessing there's some mechanical issue that may very well have been poorly handled but to just straight miss it for no reason would be amazing in scale of the mess up.

Edited by NoSaint

^^ this incident has pilot error written all over it. Which is interesting because usually the most senior experienced pilots fly widebodies on long routes due to higher pay, so these should be some of Asiania's better pilots....

A theory right now is that the ILS system was down and the on duty crew did not realize it. But they were landing VFR anyways so it seems they just misjudged the distance.

It will be interesting to see what happens as more info comes out.

Yes, the meatball was off.

When I used to work as a logger, I found that quaaludes really calmed me down.

Anyways, looks like you guys were right.

The inescapable conclusion seems to be pilot error although no "official" word yet.

The pilot in charge of landing only had 43 hours with the 777.

http://news.yahoo.com/asiana-says-pilot-crashed-plane-training-010133596.html

Basically it sounds like he missed the runway which is exactly what I couldn't believe would actually happen.

Too low, and too slow. Unbelievable.

When I used to work as a logger, I found that quaaludes really calmed me down.

Anyways, looks like you guys were right.

The inescapable conclusion seems to be pilot error although no "official" word yet.

The pilot in charge of landing only had 43 hours with the 777.

http://news.yahoo.com/asiana-says-pilot-crashed-plane-training-010133596.html

Basically it sounds like he missed the runway which is exactly what I couldn't believe would actually happen.

Too low, and too slow. Unbelievable.

Wow....

It used to be, when there was an air crash, the NTSB assumed the investigation and that was that till they were done. Now they can't wait to get in front of the microphones. At least they don't use a teleprompter!

The Pilot flying only had 40+ hours in type, that's unbelievable!. Guess the other 3 pilots were not watching the airspeed indicator.