Selling/trading/buying Football Cards

Over the course of the last 15 years I've been collecting all sorts of NFL cards and a few NHL player cards here and there. At this point I'm looking to sort and categorize them by teams and by eras.

Hopefully soon I plan on trading some in or selling some and getting other collections. Is anyone familiar with any cheap ways to sell cards that may be high on value? Most importantly I'm looking for a book that I can buy that will tell me the values of each individual card, this way I know how to price them when selling them/trading with others.

Lastly, what are some unique cards that you seem to have that you would think are rare?

Don't have time to respond to all your questions now (I will later) but there is no book that will give you an accurate value of what something is worth. Card values fluctuate from day to day, week to week...it really is that active... one thing I can tell you, if you plan on selling, sell in season...unless you have something really treasured (a Michael Jordan rookie for example), people aren't thinking about football so much in February, as they are the upcoming baseball season...

I have thousands and thousands of cards and have been buying, selling and trading for years...bottom line to keep in mind when selling, the cards are only worth what someone will pay you for them...EBAY is really your best way to determine current values. Look at "completed listings" rather than current listings. If you are lookig to make a killing, you won't...I have recently listed a bunch of lots, on EBAY, of autographed Bills cards, with percieved values of $150-200 a lot... I only sold a few of the lots, at about 25-30 each...

I have recently been sortig through all my NFL stuff, seperating by teams...stuff I haven't looked at in 10-15 years...unearted about 500 different Joe Montana cards...even found an autographed Chris Speilman card I never realized I had....fun to look at...but probably not worth very much.

Edited by Buftex

I'll add that unless you really take the time and effort to collect the rare/collectible cards, the normal cards in your average sets: Pro Set, Score, Tops, Fleer just aren't worth that much. It takes rare rookie cards, numbered cards, autographed cards. Stuff like that. Not that I'm a huge fan of Mile Schoop, but his show on (I think) Saturday mornings (The Hobby) seems to have some good info. He really is pretty knowledgable on the subject.

You could sell in EBay, or Flea Markets. Places like that. I'm sure there is more options for you. Just depends on what kinds of cards you have. I thought I would be good to keep a few boxes of cards for a really long time, like until I have grand kids and sell them to make some money for them or something. But I grew up in the 80-90s and the cards of that time were just so mass produced that I doubt they will be worth much even in 100 years. So keeping them as a collectible, maybe down the road when I buy a nice big house with extra space for a sports room, or a bar that I can keep all this stuff to look at while having buddies over for football games. Probably a better option IMO.

Like I said though, it all depends on what kind of stuff you have. If its from the 80-90s, chances are, they aren't, and will never be worth that much. My buddy seriously collects cards and other rare items. He's got framed signatures from famous government officials, like Jefferson, Franklin, Adams, and a ton of baseball cards dating back to the Tobacco card(??) days. I know some of the cards in his collection are worth hundreds and thousands, but I also know he will never sell them. So I ask, what does he get out of having cards sit in a box in a spare bedroom closet that are worth thousands? There is no real answer to that question. I guess it's up to him and the joy he gets out of it.

Over the course of the last 15 years I've been collecting all sorts of NFL cards and a few NHL player cards here and there. At this point I'm looking to sort and categorize them by teams and by eras.

Hopefully soon I plan on trading some in or selling some and getting other collections. Is anyone familiar with any cheap ways to sell cards that may be high on value? Most importantly I'm looking for a book that I can buy that will tell me the values of each individual card, this way I know how to price them when selling them/trading with others.

Lastly, what are some unique cards that you seem to have that you would think are rare?

Not necessarily worth thousands, but I have three neat (I think) autograph cards from a set called "Fans of the Game"...the set consists of team logos signed by celebrities who are fans of that particular team... I have a James Gandofini New York Yankees autograph card, as well as a Chris Berman and (get this) a Micky Rourke signed Buffalo Bills card. Who knew Micky was a Bills fan?

Edited by Buftex

I'll add that unless you really take the time and effort to collect the rare/collectible cards, the normal cards in your average sets: Pro Set, Score, Tops, Fleer just aren't worth that much. It takes rare rookie cards, numbered cards, autographed cards. Stuff like that. Not that I'm a huge fan of Mile Schoop, but his show on (I think) Saturday mornings (The Hobby) seems to have some good info. He really is pretty knowledgable on the subject.

You could sell in EBay, or Flea Markets. Places like that. I'm sure there is more options for you. Just depends on what kinds of cards you have. I thought I would be good to keep a few boxes of cards for a really long time, like until I have grand kids and sell them to make some money for them or something. But I grew up in the 80-90s and the cards of that time were just so mass produced that I doubt they will be worth much even in 100 years. So keeping them as a collectible, maybe down the road when I buy a nice big house with extra space for a sports room, or a bar that I can keep all this stuff to look at while having buddies over for football games. Probably a better option IMO.

Like I said though, it all depends on what kind of stuff you have. If its from the 80-90s, chances are, they aren't, and will never be worth that much. My buddy seriously collects cards and other rare items. He's got framed signatures from famous government officials, like Jefferson, Franklin, Adams, and a ton of baseball cards dating back to the Tobacco card(??) days. I know some of the cards in his collection are worth hundreds and thousands, but I also know he will never sell them. So I ask, what does he get out of having cards sit in a box in a spare bedroom closet that are worth thousands? There is no real answer to that question. I guess it's up to him and the joy he gets out of it.

Lots of good information here. What you say about 80's and 90's stuff is pretty accurate. Cards from 1989-1996 were just mass produced, and while many are very nice, they are very common and if you know what you are looking for, you can find them for pennies. Sadly, for Bills fans, this is when a lot got into collecting, as it was the golden era of the team, which just happened to coincide with the "card explosion" of the 90's.

Modern cards (1997-present) do retain more value, because, for the most part, they are produced in much smaller quantities, and (maybe) sadly are marketed toward adults who would have more money to spend on them. A pack of cards can range from 1.99 to $200.00 a pack. Certified autograph cards are the hottest thing...also game-used jersey cards (not really my thing), which incorporate a small piece of a players jersey in the card design.

Now, the stuff is expensive. The most money I have ever spent on a single card was $85...for a very good condition Jack Kemp rookie card...at that time, it was worth far more than that...and still is. Keep in mind, old "vintage" stuff from the pre-80's retains its' value. If anything, it goes up in value. Cards weren't made back then to be kept in protectors and horded...kids stuck them in their bike spokes. They are much harder to find in good, let alone mint, condition.

A "cheap" way to collect is via internet "case breaks". What this is, essentially: find a dealer on EBAY (or whatever site you prefer) who deals in box or case breaks. Normally they will list it something like "2013 Buffalo Bills 12Box Prestige Case Break". You bid on the team you want. What you are bidding on: the dealer will crack open an entire case of the product, on-line, with a camera on his hands, and the cards he is pulling out of packs. You will get every card in the case, from the team you won. I recently paid $52 for a case-break of Bills 2013 Prestige football cards. A case of this product consisted of 12 boxes, 24 packs in each box, with a guarantee of 4 "hits" in each box (a minimum of 2 autographs and the other hits being jersey cards" I hit the mother-lode. I got a Marquise Goodwin jersey card, a Goodwin autograph card, and two (2!!!) different EJ Manuel autograph cards. I don't plan on selling the EJ cards, but I can tell you, the cards I got are selling anywhere from $40-60 each on EBAY right now...and the kid hasn't taken a snap yet! The Goodwin cards can be had for about $10-15 each. So, for $52, I got about $100 worth of cards for $52... when I get all the cards, I will take the doubles, and sell them for a few bucks..which, I put back into more cards....pretty nuts, but it can be kind of fun. I also keep in mind, thos $100 worth of cards might be worth $30 if EJ ends up being a bust....

My own Bills collection goes back to the 1960 inaugural team up through the 2013 draft class. I have about 12,000 different Bills cards, as well as another 1265 different certified autograph cards, and another 500 or so non-certified autograph cards.

Over the years, as well, I have made friends with other team collectors that I trade with. We don't worry about the value of the cards, just periodically mail to each-other whatever we have accumulated from their team. In the long-run it all evens out, the longer you do it. I trade cards with a Seahawks fan, a Redskins fan and a Ravens fan. If I go to a card show, here in the middle of Texas, where there is little interest in any of those teams (or the Bills for that matter) I can usually pick up some really nice stuff, for next to nothing, to beef up my trade arsenal.

Some team message boards allow you to link EBAY auctions...it is allowed here, but only in the "trading post" section, which very few look at, sadly. But, it is a great way to meet other people who are interested in cards, and you can establish trade agreements with them.

I sell primarily through EBAY. I won't say that it is great. People just don't want to spend much on this kind of stuff, and I can't necessarily blame them. What is frustrating about selling through EBAY, however, is that their fees and "cut" are increasing all the time...and now they even take part of the shipping fee. So, unless you are selling something with considerable value, it almost isn't worth selling there. Sadly, I haven't found antoher auction sight that has EBAYs traffic. I listed stuff on another auction site, about a year ago...not only did I not sell much of anything, but my listings got almost no views. It was just kind of a waste of time.

There are some card trading sites, but they are mainly for trading, not selling.

I stopped collecting cards and moved onto autographed itmes a few years back. I currently have a Thurman, j Kelly, A Reed, B Smith, J Lofton, J Rice, Tim Brown, A Peterson Jerseys. Thurman full size helmet, A Peterson Ball, Notre Dame greats mini helmet, J Kelly Mini Helmet, Nolan Ryan Auto bat, Jay Bruce auto bat, Yogi Berra auto bat, Reggie Jackson ball, Don Larsen auto ball, and a bunch of other autographed stuff that I am forgetting. Can't wait to get the man room set up and all of it displayed.

I also moved from collecting cards to collecting autographs.

Currently I have the following:

Authentic NFL ball signed by Steven Jackson

White autograph Bulls balls signed by:

Lee Evans

Eric Moulds

Andre Reed

Stevie Johnson

Paul Pozlusny

Jim Kelly

A ball signed by what I thought would be the big 3 for years to come:

Stevie, Fitz, CJ

Another ball signs by Stevie, Moats, Nelson (funny story about that one, Maybe came by and put his arms out for the ball, I quickly tucked it away on him. He looked at me funny)

Have a DHGate white throwback jersey signed by Freddy

Have an authentic #21 McGahee jersey that I bought off a guy for $25 bucks (he was going to burn it in the parking lot when Willis came back as a Raven). Gonna have the name plate switched to CJ. He only wore number 21 for 1 year, with the old jersey, so I'm going to have it signed and framed.

Also have a Marshawn Lynch 8x11? Signed photo of him running the ball while at Cal.

My buddy bought me a larger picture (not sure the size, maybe like 16x32) signed picture of CJ holding up a #1 jersey with a Bills hat on from the draft.

Only a few of my autographs are authenticated, but I can assure you that they are all real, as I have either gotten them myself, or from people that I know reviewed them personally from the player.

I doubt I'll ever sell any of them, they will go into a dedicated Bills/bar area when I buy my next house with much more space. Right now, they sit undisplayed in my closet.

I have lots of autographed 8x10's (probably around 100), but the only not flat items I have signed are a Jim Kelly football (given to me as a gift in the late 80's...not an authentic ball) and a "mini-helmet" signed by Jim, Bruce, Thurman and Marv Levy.

I love that stuff, but honestly, I never really started collecting non-paper items, because of the space involved. The Kelly ball is tucked away in a closet somewhere, but the mini rests on top of a shelf in my living room... right above that is my "wall of fame"....all Bills QB's autographed photos: Bledsoe, Ferguson, Flutie, Kelly, Kemp, and Lamonica. They have been hanging there since Bledsoe was here...been meaning to change out the pics at some point...

Edited by Buftex

I also moved from collecting cards to collecting autographs.

Currently I have the following:

Authentic NFL ball signed by Steven Jackson

White autograph Bulls balls signed by:

Lee Evans

Eric Moulds

Andre Reed

Stevie Johnson

Paul Pozlusny

Jim Kelly

A ball signed by what I thought would be the big 3 for years to come:

Stevie, Fitz, CJ

Another ball signs by Stevie, Moats, Nelson (funny story about that one, Maybe came by and put his arms out for the ball, I quickly tucked it away on him. He looked at me funny)

Have a DHGate white throwback jersey signed by Freddy

Have an authentic #21 McGahee jersey that I bought off a guy for $25 bucks (he was going to burn it in the parking lot when Willis came back as a Raven). Gonna have the name plate switched to CJ. He only wore number 21 for 1 year, with the old jersey, so I'm going to have it signed and framed.

Also have a Marshawn Lynch 8x11? Signed photo of him running the ball while at Cal.

My buddy bought me a larger picture (not sure the size, maybe like 16x32) signed picture of CJ holding up a #1 jersey with a Bills hat on from the draft.

Only a few of my autographs are authenticated, but I can assure you that they are all real, as I have either gotten them myself, or from people that I know reviewed them personally from the player.

I doubt I'll ever sell any of them, they will go into a dedicated Bills/bar area when I buy my next house with much more space. Right now, they sit undisplayed in my closet.

That is a nice collection. I stopped acquiring new stuff until I can properly display what I have now but my plan is similar to yours.

This is all of the items that I have listed for the Buffalo Bills cards I have. Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable pricing?

http://rochester.cra...3919729453.html

I wouldn't say your pricing is unreasonable, and please, don't take this like I am being a prick...I am just being honest... you would be lucky to get $10 for all the cards you have listed. That is speaking as somebody who does this stuff a lot. Of course, maybe I am jaded. A few months ago, somebody linked their EBAY auction, here, for a similar lot, but with very few details. IIRC, somebody paid about $50.. all I can assume is that the buyer is a Bills fan, but not necessarily a collector...if he was, he would never have paid that money. Appealing to Bills fans, as opposed to Bills fans who are collectors is a shrewd move! :thumbsup:

The idea of selling them on Craigs' List is interesting though... I would be very interested in seeing how your sale goes. I would recommend you coming up with a nice price for the whole lot...selling regionally, as on Craigs' List might net you some better results.

I wouldn't say your pricing is unreasonable, and please, don't take this like I am being a prick...I am just being honest... you would be lucky to get $10 for all the cards you have listed. That is speaking as somebody who does this stuff a lot. Of course, maybe I am jaded. A few months ago, somebody linked their EBAY auction, here, for a similar lot, but with very few details. IIRC, somebody paid about $50.. all I can assume is that the buyer is a Bills fan, but not necessarily a collector...if he was, he would never have paid that money. Appealing to Bills fans, as opposed to Bills fans who are collectors is a shrewd move! :thumbsup:

The idea of selling them on Craigs' List is interesting though... I would be very interested in seeing how your sale goes. I would recommend you coming up with a nice price for the whole lot...selling regionally, as on Craigs' List might net you some better results.

Do most people sell on ebay? I might also be looking to collect some more as well, where would i look to buy/sell/trade other than craiglist? I might do the signature memorabilia idea

I have a massive collection of baseball, football, hockey, star wars, charlies angels, battlestar galactica, welcome back cotter, etc cards. It takes up so much room, and I didn't realize how much I had until I recently moved. I keep trying to sell them on craigslist. People are looking for one particular set, but I want to sell whole collection. I would accept a low offer, and just want to declutter