Cool photos of Buffalo from 1910s and 1920s

I was immdeiately drawn to the picture of BFLO Harbor. The breakwaters were built in the 1800's after a seiche (standing wave: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seiche) wiped out the lowing lying warf areas around the harbor... Swept people out of their beds as they slept, to drown. Today it is hard to fathom where the Aud and First Niagara is would have been 10 under water during that particular seiche event... That picture of BFLO harbor really puts into perspective the old configuration of the waterfront. Heck, my father would unload coal cars (railroad: Delware-Lack, Erie-Lack) @ the foot of Erie street. That is where the Erie Basin Marina (The Hatch, etc...) is today. He would say if you missed it and timed the car coming off the unloadinig grade... You'd have to jump and ditch into the water!

Anway, pretty interesting to see how that breakwater is perched so close to the slips. Early on w/the Corps, I would survey (hydro) BFLO Harbor... Walk all those walls and put in the control points for our sounding operations... From the outter harbor all the down the Black Rock Channel. With my handy work in painting those station numbers, I always felt I had left my "graffiti." LoL... Sadly, just recently walking Bird Island Pier, I noticed a lot of my hand painted station markings are fading away forever. Since the GPS days, survey boats just "sweep and go" when doing soundings... All controlled through to the sky. The days of painting in those control points are forever gone due to the new tech! :(

Gotta admit... As much as it was gritty back than, as much as the city "worked", the city was a smog infested, polluted dump. And people think it is bad now... Actually pretty nice now. Check out the BYC pic and the Erie Basin pic... Wow... Lumber just stacked all over the place, crap all in the water.. Smog in the air and pollution from God knows what (steel, chem, dyes, etc...) Daniel Burnham really did have awesome vision when it came to Chicago, as much as it (CHI) was a dump @ times... The foundation for modern green spaces was there. And in NYS we get Robert Moses. :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Gotta admit... As much as it was gritty back than, as much as the city "worked", the city was a smog infested, polluted dump. And people think it is bad now... Actually pretty nice now. Check out the BYC pic and the Erie Basin pic... Wow... Lumber just stacked all over the place, crap all in the water.. Smog in the air and pollution from God knows what (steel, chem, dyes, etc...) Daniel Burnham really did have awesome vision when it came to Chicago, as much as it (CHI) was a dump @ times... The foundation for modern green spaces was there. And in NYS we get Robert Moses. :wallbash: :wallbash:

Have had this opinion for years. They did it right in Chicago and it paid huge dividends.

I believe the outlook in Buffalo / WNY is bright but it is going to take generations to fix. Seems to be already underway.

Once the decayed industrial blight starts being cleared away for good the geographic resources of the area will regain prominence and the population will grow once again. The scenery, strategic location and recreational opportunities are so strong and will become the foundation for growth.

The biggest obstacles are political and financial but I can see a point in time where everything reaches a critical mass- a tipping point where the land is restored just enough to accellerate the process- and look out after that happens.