History has its day: Iraq and Vietnam

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

What can you say to that? It will be the next act in the sad but true story on the road to extreme fundamentalist revolution in Iraq. When we leave, the elected govt will crumble, i.e. 1973-1975.

203932[/snapback]

I think a more likely danger is another takeover by the Baath party. In any event, these are possibilities you just have to live with in the post-colonial world. What should the US do? Go back on it's word and refuse to leave when asked? Reinvade if what emerges is not to it's liking?

I think a more likely danger is another takeover by the Baath party. In any event, these are realities you just have to live with in the post-colonial world. What should the US do? Go back on it's word and refuse to leave when asked? Reinvade if what emerges is not to it's liking?

204489[/snapback]

The Shiites (and I can't believe I'm saying this) God help them, would never let that happen. What I forsee is what should be....a Shiite dominated non-democratic country.

I am the first to admit that I was wrong about the capabilities of Iraqis in particular and Arabs in general to accept and embrace freedom. They were given a chance and turned to the same old same old....Terrorism. So yeah, we leave, they set up their own little muslim fiefdom, and we get to bomb the hell out of them for decades to come.

All because the average Iraqi didn't have the guts or brains to appreciate freedom.

Think 1945.

:doh:

204491[/snapback]

A faint but important difference: all three countries involved (Germany, Italy, Japan) were returning to a democratic form of government. The populace didn't have to be forced into it, rather they were forced out of it.

A faint but important difference: all three countries involved (Germany, Italy, Japan) were returning to a democratic form of government.  The populace didn't have to be forced into it, rather they were forced out of it.

204502[/snapback]

Neither Germany nor Japan were exceedingly democratic in nature. Hell, Germany had only been a democracy for what, 15-20 yeard before Hitler?

Italy I can see, though.

The Shiites (and I can't believe I'm saying this) God help them, would never let that happen. What I forsee is what should be....a Shiite dominated non-democratic country.

I am the first to admit that I was wrong about the capabilities of Iraqis in particular and Arabs in general to accept and embrace freedom. They were given a chance and turned to the same old same old....Terrorism. So yeah, we leave, they set up their own little muslim fiefdom, and we get to bomb the hell out of them for decades to come.

All because the average Iraqi didn't have the guts or brains to appreciate freedom.

204494[/snapback]

Strange. You have said in previous posts that the Shiites and Kurds have been cooperative and that the problem lay with the Sunnis and yet you are now telling us that "the average Iraqi didn't have the guts or brains to appreciate freedom". So by the "average Iraqi" do you mean just the Sunnis (in which case, the "average Iraqi" label is somewhat inappropriate since they are only about 20-25% of the population) or do you mean that the Shiites and Kurds are as lacking in guts and brains as their Sunni brethren?

Strange. You have said in previous posts that the Shiites and Kurds have been cooperative and that the problem lay with the Sunnis and yet you are now telling us that "the average Iraqi didn't have the guts or brains to appreciate freedom". So by the "average Iraqi" do you mean just the Sunnis (in which case, the "average Iraqi" label is somewhat inappropriate since they are only about 20-25% of the population) or do you mean that the Shiites and Kurds are as lacking in guts and brains as their Sunni brethren?

204668[/snapback]

Two points for chicot! You're not trying to get him to admit "they all look the same" are you? :):lol:

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
AWK! Iraq=Vietnam! AWK!

I see the dim parrots are out again.

204622[/snapback]

One and only one post, the most unproductive, ignorant kind of all...

That's all you have is personal insults.. So who's the stupid one?

:lol:

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Pessimist

Granted, the news out of Iraq, the news we get anyway, leaves little room for optimism.  Still, I am not prepared to throw in the towel on there being enough Iraqi's, as they taste more and more freedom, to create some sort of democracy. 

It am being naive, I know, but there it is.

203949[/snapback]

But it is an untenable democracy that makes all the difference! It is the force that has the most power, physical and mental, that will win the contest. If Iraqis TRULY WANT democracy, they will fight for it, If they don't, hello Iraqi Revolution!

Just going by what is out there, and how it relates to so many past attempts at change that is not natural... Remember this is the Middle East, not just any region.