"Thanks for the wedding gift, do you have the reciept?"

Just Jack

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bunch of money grubbing little bastages.

Like meazza said. I suppose it got started w/tradition and sending the couple on in the black. Kinda stupid today how the game is played. Damn if you do and damn if you don't. 20 years ago we had a small wedding, cut if off @ about 100... Not past first cousins... Even then you can't please family...

judging by the fact that they used 'Your an idiot' 'gunna' and 'george carlon' i am seriously questioning the authenticity of either side of the argument.

Also, "this is right up your ally."

Sounds to me like none of the parties here are blameless and that they're all very tacky people to boot.

The guest is more in the right than the brides but is not totally innocent in this either, IMO.

When idiot worlds collide.

It's a dumb tradition but i have to stick to it or my family will disown me

It is an "outdated" tradition. Used to be people getting married were in the early 20's or even younger, just starting out, and the gifts and cash helped them start a life/home together. In Western Pa, they do the dollar dance as an old tradition to give the couple some spending money on the honeymoon...again, kinda out of date now.

A way to resolve the dilemma is for the betrothed to include a spread sheet with the invitation. Revenues, expenditures, long-term debt, reserve fund total, etc. would be good things to know when shopping for a gift for the happy couple.

When I got married, about 2 1/2 years ago, my wife and I asked everyone for christmas tree decorations, and made it clear they could be store bought, homemade, or hand-downs. Some people gave more, but generally I'd say the average gift was in the neighborhood of $10 and we get to enjoy our gifts every year.

These people make me sick.

A way to resolve the dilemma is for the betrothed to include a spread sheet with the invitation. Revenues, expenditures, long-term debt, reserve fund total, etc. would be good things to know when shopping for a gift for the happy couple.

By "spread sheet" you mean.........oh never mind.

It is an "outdated" tradition. Used to be people getting married were in the early 20's or even younger, just starting out, and the gifts and cash helped them start a life/home together. In Western Pa, they do the dollar dance as an old tradition to give the couple some spending money on the honeymoon...again, kinda out of date now.

Why? Are people getting married rich and well-off nowadays?

I do get your point... But not everybody is "set."

Why? Are people getting married rich and well-off nowadays?

I do get your point... But not everybody is "set."

So is it my job to help them get set?

The best part about being an ex-chef is I can buy anyone a piece of kitchen equipment regardless of cost and it's "wow, thanks Chef Jim!"

Edited by Chef Jim

So is it my job to help them get set?

The best part about being an ex-chef is I can buy anyone a piece of kitchen equipment regardless of cost and it's "wow, thanks Chef Jim!"

No, just tradition. Maybe Yente made a match in heaven... Don't put the poor milkman in a hole and just offer your regrets if you get invited. Then you can send whatever you want... Even a 20 dollar basket w/pasta and whatnot.

Why so rebellious all of a sudden?

I posted generally acceptable etiquette rules links refuting your claim that you should give at least the cost of the plate...you are the rebellious one...

No, just tradition. Maybe Yente made a match in heaven... Don't put the poor milkman in a hole and just offer your regrets if you get invited. Then you can send whatever you want... Even a 20 dollar basket w/pasta and whatnot.

Why so rebellious all of a sudden?

I posted generally acceptable etiquette rules links refuting your claim that you should give at least the cost of the plate...you are the rebellious one...

Really? I must have missed the link... I will go back and check. Sorry. I just find it kinda tacky that people would put the couple in a hole... Even if they are doing well. It is like my Polish relatives that would give 10 bucks... No wonder some Polish people get a bad rap. Oh, my!

From your link Pooj:

"The amount you should spend on a gift is one of those gray areas that vary based on the wedding location, your age and your budget. A typical amount, says Betsy Goldberg, features editor at Modern Bride magazine, is $75. If you bring a date, expect to spend twice that amount."

I agree with meazza, $200 is fine for a couple attending... The advice above has it @ $150. How much do you think the basket and pasta was worth. I still would have let it go though.

Really? I must have missed the link... I will go back and check. Sorry. I just find it kinda tacky that people would put the couple in a hole... Even if they are doing well. It is like my Polish relatives that would give 10 bucks... No wonder some Polish people get a bad rap. Oh, my!

From your link Pooj:

"The amount you should spend on a gift is one of those gray areas that vary based on the wedding location, your age and your budget. A typical amount, says Betsy Goldberg, features editor at Modern Bride magazine, is $75. If you bring a date, expect to spend twice that amount."

I agree with meazza, $200 is fine for a couple attending... The advice above has it @ $150. How much do you think the basket and pasta was worth. I still would have let it go though.

Lol it's $200 a head not a couple.

And this is generally european tradition carried over to canada.

A friend of mine got married and had some cousins from new york attend who put like $20 an envelope.