At least they weren't selling life insurance

Just Jack

Telemarketer calls woman on hospital deathbed

"I was sitting by her bedside, and the phone rang," described Niccolini. His wife answered it but was quickly confused. She handed the phone to her husband. " 'Believe it or not,' I said to her, and she understood a little bit, I said 'It was a telemarketer trying to sell you windows.' "

She should have bought them for the whole house and signed the contract. After install and they come to collect, oops, sorry, she's dead!

Debts don't pass to your heirs.

No they don't. It comes out of your estate and reduces the amount your heirs inherit so in actuality your heirs are paying your debt by the reduction of the estate they're going to inherit. So....pay your !@#$ing bills.

No they don't. It comes out of your estate and reduces the amount your heirs inherit so in actuality your heirs are paying your debt by the reduction of the estate they're going to inherit. So....pay your !@#$ing bills.

Yeah, but that's only if they want to wade through probate (and assuming there's any value to the estate). I was surprised by the process when my mother died. I tried to call her bank to pay the credit card balance and they refused to speak to me. I finally got someone to tell me they had already (like the day they found out she died) sold the debt to a collection agency, who in turn was super eager to close the account for a fraction of the amount owed.

Yeah, but that's only if they want to wade through probate (and assuming there's any value to the estate). I was surprised by the process when my mother died. I tried to call her bank to pay the credit card balance and they refused to speak to me. I finally got someone to tell me they had already (like the day they found out she died) sold the debt to a collection agency, who in turn was super eager to close the account for a fraction of the amount owed.

It also probably has a lot to do witht the size of the estate, how liquid it is and how big the debt it.