From the "Well, I guess that's not a good idea" files....

Just Jack

Liquid nitrogen pool stunt leaves man in coma

A 21-year-old Mexican man is in a coma and eight others were hospitalised after party organisers poured barrels of liquid nitrogen into a pool. Partygoers filmed the moment four large buckets of the liquid were tipped into a pool, sending toxic plumes of smoke into the air and leaving guests gasping for breath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo48hsby1RQ

Was the brunette in the black bikini on far right carry a rack of Jello shots into the pool?

When you mix nitrogen and chlorine solution typical in pools you can get nitrogen trichloride among other chemicals but some of it may have been pure clouds of supercooled nitrogen gas which could cause such fumes.

I bet Jagermeister gets sued for this even if the patrons were the one who choose to pull this stunt.

Was the brunette in the black bikini on far right carry a rack of Jello shots into the pool?

When you mix nitrogen and chlorine solution typical in pools you can get nitrogen trichloride among other chemicals but some of it may have been pure clouds of supercooled nitrogen gas which could cause such fumes.

I bet Jagermeister gets sued for this even if the patrons were the one who choose to pull this stunt.

According to another press story it was a nitrogen "cloud." Just insane.

Nitrogen is not toxic or flammable. It comprises 78% of the air we breath. I don't know what nitrogen and chlorine do together, but the nitrogen displaces oxygen, and asphyxiation will kill you as quick as any toxic compound. A guy at my work had a close call once due to a leak in a confined space and he failed to check his O2 meter before entering. A bucket of liquid nitrogen will create a LOT of gaseous nitrogen.

On another note... They want to get rid of Asian carp making its way to the Great Lakes... Why are they oxygenating/aerating the water and cleaning up the canals? It is basically saying: "come closer, the door is wide open!" All the money being spent is one huge gov't boondoggle... Can't they just create a "dead zone" by pumping nitrogen into the water? Boats go over, fish won't get through. Gotta be less than all these millions (if not billions) they will spend? One estimate is that it would only cost a couple million a year to create a "dead zone." So what if the canals stink and are stagnant, that is how they were up to 40 years ago. Something about the Clean Water Act is probably the fly in the ointment.

Just loojk what a little nitrogen and these idiots in this story can do!

Nitrogen is not toxic or flammable. It comprises 78% of the air we breath. I don't know what nitrogen and chlorine do together, but the nitrogen displaces oxygen, and asphyxiation will kill you as quick as any toxic compound. A guy at my work had a close call once due to a leak in a confined space and he failed to check his O2 meter before entering. A bucket of liquid nitrogen will create a LOT of gaseous nitrogen.

That is why they have proposed "dead zones" to stop invasive species. Instead, they have man-made water falls, water cannons, etc... to oxygenate the water! Go figure. Heck, I am running 2' feet of dam right now to aerate the canal! :wallbash:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois